mikeyyn

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S. BMW X5, Golf GTi,
Country flag
So reading up on all this, it seems sensible to spec the 150kw on board charger then.

Next question.
We live in a town house with the garage integrated into the ground floor of house (ie no windows and access via door from the house).

The garage has been converted into a home gym, so the car is going to live on the drive. It also has an electric roller shutter, so cabling out is an issue.

Given this setup, is it better to get a dedicated charging socket outside the house, as I've read the PMC isn't weatherproof (unless you get the large surround - which I dont really want due to its size)?

I also quite like the look of the Sync EV charger. Very small and compact.

Does this all sound like I am on the right lines?

Lastly do I need to spec anything else with the car for this setup?

Thanks for all help once again.
Could you put the 32A commando socket in the garage/gym and plug the PMC+ inside with the charging cable under the door when you need to charge? It depends on your usage but 10000 miles per annum is around 200 a week so maybe 2 charging sessions a week at most.
Sponsored

JC Mann

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayman S, Tesla Model S
Country flag
I think the 7m cable is only available with the PMCC, not the PMC+.
True. If you do not order PMCC and try to order the extended cable, the configuration will insist of adding the PMCC.

OP
OP
Fish Fingers

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Could you put the 32A commando socket in the garage/gym and plug the PMC+ inside with the charging cable under the door when you need to charge? It depends on your usage but 10000 miles per annum is around 200 a week so maybe 2 charging sessions a week at most.
I was thinking of this option initially.

But the lead looks quite thick and the roller shutter door seals at the bottom with a hard rubber weather strip to keep it all insulated. I don't think it would suit running a cable under it.

So it looks like an outdoor charger. I suppose the other thing is, it's also worth getting one now while the charger grant is avaliable. I can't see that being round forever with the way the car grant is being slashed.

UKTIVO

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Outside charging is fine and weatherproofing therefore a key consideration.

So any charger that takes your fancy and can deliver 7.4kW will be a good home charging option. Unless you've gone for the 22kW AC upgrade (and will have a 3 phase electrical supply) then most chargers will provide 9.6kW to 11kW maximum charge capability.

Shame you have to take 2 chargers PMC+ standard (or PMCC as an option) and one for outside. There may be other ways to provide weatherproofing / shelter for either of the Porsche options without buying the pedastal or wall dock.

Not that you will need to run a 32A circuit to the charger from your main fuse box to get 7.4kW charging capability.

All cables should come with the charger that you need but suggest getting the 7m cable from Porsche as a no cost option.
I’ve got the PMCC mounted outside, it is in the Porsche box but that wouldn’t provide any weather proofing as the charger itself pokes through a completely open part of the box. I’ve had no issues with the charger being outside.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
That is the weather proofing!

Remember that the PMCC is IP55 rated for this purpose.

gpeel

First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
I got the Andersen charger. Really nice but if kit and you get the grant to cover installation

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Great but do you need 2 chargers considering you get one for free (makes the grant irrelevant) with the car.?
Sponsored