LewChappers

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan
Country flag
Used a 32kw charger yesterday at a local gym. Worked out in the Hour it was charging it had put 8 miles charge in the battery. Does this sound right?
Sponsored

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
You need to check your initial state of charge (%) and if you have timers set up.
If you have a timer and your state of charge is below 20%, the car will charge to 20% and then stop charging until the timer kicks in.
If you want to take advantage of free charging and want to 'fill up' for free, then you need to hit the 'Direct Charge' function which is in the lower screen. You might want to check the Taycan manual for how this button works. Keep in mind that when you enable Direct Charging, the car will charge to 100% unless you manually stop the charging session.

OP
OP
LewChappers

LewChappers

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan
Country flag
I have no timers set up. All direct charging

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
I have no timers set up. All direct charging
That’s,strange.
Are you sure that was 32kw charger?
8 miles, that’s almost 13km….lets use an average consumption of 20kwh/100km, your battery received 2,6kw in one hour only?

tutis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
Was it a DC charger (with CCS plugs) or a AC? I have never heard of 32kw AC chargers, there are 22 and 43kw AC but not any 32kw that I know of.

Regardless, your car would only charge at its maximum AC rate, which is 11kw unless you paid for the 22kw option. And as mentioned by @Windpower your charging profile would only top up a little (e.g. to 20%) if you are below and then wait until the last moment to charge to the target level (e.g. 85% by 7am, etc.), unless you have Direct Charging enabled in which case it will charge immediately.

With DC charger, the car will charge always to 100% as quickly as possible.

Another possibility is that the charger had an error and possibly rebooted during the charge, thereby only delivering to you a very small amount of energy.

Last edited:

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Used a 32kw charger yesterday at a local gym. Worked out in the Hour it was charging it had put 8 miles charge in the battery. Does this sound right?
32kW AC EVSE - not sure they make these for UK market!

If you have the standard 11kW AC onboard charger in your car and you got 7.4kW of juice from the EVSE then you would expect to charge at 0.3 miles / minute. Using a 3.2 kW (which sounds more likely) will charge at 0.15 miles per minute which magically gives you 9 miles.

Reactions: B61
OP
OP
LewChappers

LewChappers

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan
Country flag
It said 32kw on the outer casing and was rolec

OP
OP
LewChappers

LewChappers

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan
Country flag
Unless I misread of course. I’ll check tomorrow and let you know. It’s a rolec charging point and is free

OP
OP
LewChappers

LewChappers

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan
Country flag
On another note is there a calc where I can work out what charge in kw you use to time. For instance what 30mins of charge gives me on different kw chargers

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
On another note is there a calc where I can work out what charge in kw you use to time. For instance what 30mins of charge gives me on different kw chargers
Have a look at this article. May clear up some of your question marks?
https://www.carwow.co.uk/blog/how-long-to-charge-an-electric-car

And by the way I think you only had a 3.2 kW charger not 32 kW. Never seen any with that capacity and it would have been a DC charger with a CCS2 plug
https://thenextweb.com/news/guide-t...-what-is-ccs-combined-charging-system-chademo

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
Unless I misread of course. I’ll check tomorrow and let you know. It’s a rolec charging point and is free
They only do a 7.4kw or 22kw looking a their website. I bet its a 7.4kw single phase jobby that is throttled back to 3.2 or something. Giving away 32kw/h free would be very generous. I imagine what they actually have/do is to say they have one. Call me a cynic!

Anyway, an excuse (motivation) for you to go pump iron tomorrow.

Reactions: B61

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
They only do a 7.4kw or 22kw looking a their website. I bet its a 7.4kw single phase jobby that is throttled back to 3.2 or something. Giving away 32kw/h free would be very generous. I imagine what they actually have/do is to say they have one. Call me a cynic!

Anyway, an excuse (motivation) for you to go pump iron tomorrow.
+ might be there another EV, so 7.4kw for both vehicles….

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
You can figure that out from what I outlined above - either half or double - bearing in mind that this assumes AC charging (the slowest).

Note that this is highly subjective and depends on your battery temp, battery state of charge, ambient temp, actual power delivered via the EVSE.

Read the Porsche Good To Know App or the Owners Manual - it has a table with estimates for both AC and DC charging.

Remember also that active timers and profiles relate to AC charging only.
Sponsored