Charging questions from a newbie EV owner…

NewtoEV

First Name
W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Base model Taycan
Country flag
My base model Taycan is new (under 2000 miles) and I charge to 85% each night. During that next days driving, I typically end my day with 60 to 70 miles driven with a range left of 175 miles plus or minus a few. My questions are: Should I “top off“ charge overnight to 85% on a nightly basis or should I charge overnight every other day or so? Is there an advantage or disadvantage either way? As always, I welcome and appreciate everyone’s comments.
Sponsored

SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Macan GTS, 23 Taycan Turbo, 20 Cayenne Turbo,
Country flag
I had the same question since I am new and my understanding is that there is no clear pros/cons to each of the methods you describe. I have settled on the following, so it is easy to manage for local commuting and access to charging at home every night with no impact on electricity cost in my area if charging at certain times, so I do not have any need for the Profile feature where this may come into play:

- Start with 85% charge setting using Timer #1 with a morning ready time. Mine is 6am.
- Let it go down to 20% before plugging it in to charge at night using Timer #1 step above
- Make sure it is 50% when leaving the car undriven during a week long vacation or business trip
- I have not made any long trips yet, but If I do, I will create Timer #2 with a setting of 100% charge and a ready time of departure. Example: 9am for a local day trip.

I do not have any other use cases to handle with the main rule being not to have it sit with very high charge or very low charge when not driven.

DougFrisk

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No longer awaiting a 4CT
Country flag
I'd say plug it in when you are no longer 100% comfortable with the remaining range. From a battery life perspective it's not going to make any real difference.

Edit December 2023
Plug it in every single day. Charging from 80% to 85% every day causes less damage (microcracking of the cathode) than charging from 50% to 85% once a week. As the battery charges or discharges the lithium metal oxide crystals expand and contract in a way that over time causes battery degradation.

Last edited:

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
The one disadvantage to topping off constantly is that you may miss out on self-recalibrations (of the battery cells, or of the brake blending). The latter may happen regardless of charge status, but IME I’ve only noticed a “better” pedal feel after overnight charging from low SoC levels.

OP
OP
NewtoEV

NewtoEV

First Name
W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Base model Taycan
Country flag
Thx for the info!

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
As well as @daveo4EV link, I would also suggest reading this thread. Especially where @Squiden and his work on satellite batteries is mentioned.

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/who-charges-their-taycan-to-100-soc-at-every-charge.15381/

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/charging-best-practices.7081/post-101651

Personally, I top up (85% or 100%if long journey planned) every night.
I drive nearly every day.

Main reason is, I can get about 35% battery charge during 4h overnight cheap rate (50-85%).

So if I was down to say 60% and didn't charge, then used another 25% the next day (soc 35%) - I would then need to add 50% at 35% cheap rate, but 15% full.

May as well just have 2 charges all at cheap rate, as it only takes 5 seconds to plug it in.

Secondly, you may suddenly need to do a longer journey at short notice. Having more range is obviously preferable.

I cant see any down side tbh.

Last edited:

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
My base model Taycan is new (under 2000 miles) and I charge to 85% each night. During that next days driving, I typically end my day with 60 to 70 miles driven with a range left of 175 miles plus or minus a few. My questions are: Should I “top off“ charge overnight to 85% on a nightly basis or should I charge overnight every other day or so? Is there an advantage or disadvantage either way? As always, I welcome and appreciate everyone’s comments.
Regular AC charging is not detrimental to the battery.

Daily is fine if you need to and if you don't need the range then don't charge.

Superrat

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Crosss Turismo
Country flag
Guys, I've had my Taycan for two years I haven't followed any real regimented pattern and I haven't noticed the range changing more than one percent I charge at electrify America and on the charger in my house. I usually charge to either 90 or 95% and start with a range of about 210 to 220 mi and that's usually when I get with the car I do a commute every day in LA traffic...70 miles each way I start with 210-215 miles and I usually get home with 50 so that's averages about what the car says.
I find when driving in 10 mile an hour traffic the range is a better.
I've had pretty good luck with Electrify America every now and then the plug-in charge doesn't work and often find one or two charges down.
I have noticed in the last six months the amount of cars waiting at charging station has grown exponentially so I would suggest anybody getting an EV to make sure they have a charging system in their home...it will make your life a lot easier and a lot less stressful
Anyway enjoy the car don't overthink it and just drive it.

K

Rango

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2019 BMW M550i, 2024 BMW X5
Country flag
I charge at home with the supplied porsche charger and correct nema power outlet.
I lock the car, open charging port, plug in power Cable, and get a red light and no current
will flow. So I press (red color) button, wait until it turns white color… then it turns off white light.
i then remove charging plug and reinstall. The light/button turns white, then green, and car starts charging.
What am I doing wrong???

DougFrisk

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No longer awaiting a 4CT
Country flag
I need to correct what I wrote earlier, because I was wrong.

Plug it in every single day. Charging from 80% to 85% every day causes less damage (microcracking of the cathode) than charging from 50% to 85% once a week. As the battery charges or discharges the lithium metal oxide crystals expand and contract in a way that over time causes battery degradation.

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
I charge at home with the supplied porsche charger and correct nema power outlet.
I lock the car, open charging port, plug in power Cable, and get a red light and no current
will flow.
I am surprised you can open the charging door of a locked car. Have you tried not locking the car before initiating charging?
The red button may be associated with a message displayed on the center console.. unlikely it would be helpful but it may provide a clue.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Guys, I've had my Taycan for two years I haven't followed any real regimented pattern and I haven't noticed the range changing more than one percent I charge at electrify America and on the charger in my house. I usually charge to either 90 or 95% and start with a range of about 210 to 220 mi and that's usually when I get with the car I do a commute every day in LA traffic...70 miles each way I start with 210-215 miles and I usually get home with 50 so that's averages about what the car says.
I find when driving in 10 mile an hour traffic the range is a better.
I've had pretty good luck with Electrify America every now and then the plug-in charge doesn't work and often find one or two charges down.
I have noticed in the last six months the amount of cars waiting at charging station has grown exponentially so I would suggest anybody getting an EV to make sure they have a charging system in their home...it will make your life a lot easier and a lot less stressful
Anyway enjoy the car don't overthink it and just drive it.

K
Comms error potentially. Check that your EVSE is properly earthed.
Sponsored