Adam D

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan
Country flag
Can any of you help with the following. I have the Porsche Mobile Charger Connect Box that came with my car, which i am currently just plugging into a standard electrical socket (charging around 4 miles an hour). I have also been given a another cable with a blue connector as pic below? They say needs 32amp that i dont have at home. So my question is can this be connected to a 16amp socket rather than 32amp but will it charge any quicker than the standard home plug?

just seems a waste if i have to install an anderson charging point if i can use the porsche box. What im told by my electrician is that because my fuse box is in middle of my kitchen (which happens to be middle of my house) he would have to run cable etc under floor boards, through the house to garage which sounds a right pain.

So looking for alternatives if i can!

Porsche Taycan Charging with Mobile Charger Connect cable and plu
Sponsored

ccooke01

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S and ID.4
Country flag
I would suggest you have an electrician install a separate 32amp circuit with a commando socket, this should provide you with up to a 7KW charge.

A 16amp circuit would provide up to 3.6KW charge, if your consumer unit can handle an additional 32amp circuit then this would provide the fastest home charge in the UK.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Can any of you help with the following. I have the Porsche Mobile Charger Connect Box that came with my car, which i am currently just plugging into a standard electrical socket (charging around 4 miles an hour). I have also been given a another cable with a blue connector as pic below? They say needs 32amp that i dont have at home. So my question is can this be connected to a 16amp socket rather than 32amp but will it charge any quicker than the standard home plug?

just seems a waste if i have to install an anderson charging point if i can use the porsche box. What im told by my electrician is that because my fuse box is in middle of my kitchen (which happens to be middle of my house) he would have to run cable etc under floor boards, through the house to garage which sounds a right pain.

cable and plug.jpg

Have not tested it, but you should be able! The charger allows you to down regulate how much Amps it draws. Set it to 16 Amps and your fuse box should not snap!

Showders

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
mine came with the same plug but it was only rated at 16amp, check the plug and see what is written on the sticker.

OP
OP

Adam D

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan
Country flag
mine came with the same plug but it was only rated at 16amp, check the plug and see what is written on the sticker.
Do you use this with 16amp plug? How quickly does it charge roughly?

ccooke01

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S and ID.4
Country flag
Do you use this with 16amp plug? How quickly does it charge roughly?
My understanding is a 16amp circuit will provide a maximum charger of 3.6KW, I have used this website to get an indication of charging times as the temperature of the battery and the environment all have an effect.

https://www.ev-tech.uk/charging.html

You enter your battery size, charger type along with the % start and end state of your battery.

Porsche Taycan Charging with Mobile Charger Connect 1611217398447

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag

cable and plug.jpg
Hi,

If you have the Porsche Mobile Charger Connect (PMCC) just get Andersen's to install the 32A dedicated circuit and don't purchase their charger - that's what I did (you don't need both!). This will then allow you to charge at 7.4kW and take advantage of the PMCC features and app.

Did you not order the additional cable from Porsche?

Thx

OP
OP

Adam D

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan
Country flag
Hi,

If you have the Porsche Mobile Charger Connect (PMCC) just get Andersen's to install the 32A dedicated circuit and don't purchase their charger - that's what I did (you don't need both!). This will then allow you to charge at 7.4kW and take advantage of the PMCC features and app.

Did you not order the additional cable from Porsche?

Thx

OP
OP

Adam D

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan
Country flag
I have asked my electrician and he said the only way to get 32amp is to run from my fuse box, which unfortunately is bang in the middle of my house in kitchen so he would have to run cables under carpets and floor board etc. ?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I have asked my electrician and he said the only way to get 32amp is to run from my fuse box, which unfortunately is bang in the middle of my house in kitchen so he would have to run cables under carpets and floor board etc. ?
Ah, ok that's a pity. Either way you can still use the PMCC for all of your needs rather than purchase an additional one from Andersen's (or other) using the 16A circuit (read the PMCC instructions but there is a setting to reduce the current flow to suit & can also be set remotely (in addition to the PMCC interface) once you've connected the PMCC to your home wifi (its called Porsche Mobile Connect - Web interface (username / password for this will be in the envelope you got with the PMCC).

Once installed the PMCC is "mobile" and can be undocked and taken with you if touring or away somewhere remote where at the very least you have a 13 Amp plug supply available to you which might be enough to get you to the nearest DC charge point in an hour of need!

Not sure if you realise but if you've just recently taken delivery of your car (e.g. ordered Aug / Sep'20 and prior to Jan'21) then the chances are your PMCC was given to you free of charge as there was a supply issue with the standard charger Porsche provides thereby forcing customers to take PMCC. From Jan'21 they are now charging for this again (£762). If this is the case then the economics of just getting the supply installed is in your favour as the PMCC doesn't attract the government grant (Andersen one does) which is irrelevant if you got it for free and therefore works out ££'s cheaper.

The only downside is as mentioned by others your max charge will be limited to 3.6kW and therefore take twice as long to charge if you had a 32A supply (the PMCC can actually deliver 22kW if you have the luxury of a) 3 phase electricity supply, and b) selected the 22kW AC onboard charger as an option (which in my view is outrageously expensive and should be standard over the 11 kW one).

Depending on how you intend to charge it may be that overnight gives you what you need on a daily basis and the fact that you currently have a limitation will not be noticeable to you. Charging to 85% daily is most efficient.

Thx
Sponsored