MisterG7

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Hi, I have a 2021 Taycan RWD and it came with a Mobile Charger Connect unit with a 110v cable and a 240v cable. I also just had the software update completed and now the dealer told me my 110V cable (I only us this as an emergency when I need to charge at home as I am on the 3 year free off site Electrify America charge program ) won't work any longer. Is this true? I paid over $1200 for this home charging unit and don't want to throw it away. Any thoughts?
Sponsored

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Hi, I have a 2021 Taycan RWD and it came with a Mobile Charger Connect unit with a 110v cable and a 240v cable. I also just had the software update completed and now the dealer told me my 110V cable (I only us this as an emergency when I need to charge at home as I am on the 3 year free off site Electrify America charge program ) won't work any longer. Is this true? I paid over $1200 for this home charging unit and don't want to throw it away. Any thoughts?
The EA charging element is not relevant here and independent of your PMCC. The 3 year deal relates to DC charging and not home AC charging.

There is an issue with the.PMCC in NA and output has been software reduced by 50%. - documented elsewhere on this forum.

You need to manually set the amps to 32.or 40.each charging cycle as it will reset to 20 on each use.

satchurator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 CT4
Country flag
Your 110v NEMA 5-15 cable should still work.

The update reduces the default amperage to 50% as a safety precaution due to a design flaw in the NEMA 14-50 supply cable and the unit's inability to prevent overheating.

You can still override the amperage back up to 100%. Not advisable on the 240V / NEMA 14-50 cable, but less of a concern on the 110V / NEMA 5-15.

Your dealer may have been trying to tell you that level 1 charging is very slow, and with the 50% amperage update it would be so slow as to be unusable. Level 1 trickle charging is sufficient light duty for some people. Pop the PMCC back to 100% for normal, dog slow 110V level 1 charging speeds. Beware to dial it back to 50% if you switch to the NEMA 14-50 connector and would otherwise be drawing a full 40A.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
@satchurator I appreciate the vote confidence - but frankly/honestly I'm now at a loss as to what is "correct" behavior for the PMC+/PMCC these days given software updates that have or have not rolled out - what state the PMC+/PMCC is in or what actual expectations of correctness is.

I think the only behavior you can "expect" or rely on as of today is that the PMC+/PMCC is a 4.8 kW (20 amp) EVSE - anything else is subject to change or may not be safe.

Porsche is not helping in that different dealers are telling customer's different things.

Honestly the PMC+/PMCC and it's current state is so unclear, and messaging so muddled I'm remiss to advise anyone as to what they should expect.

My honest advice these days is ignore/shelve the PMC+/PMCC and purchase a non-Porsche EVSE that will "just" work…

my recommendation is to purchase an alternative EVSE - and if possible get the dealer to buy back a PMCC if you ended up purchasing it with your vehicle.

until the dust settled I'm not sure what correct behavior is for a PMC+/PMCC until Porsche gets it act together…

I welcome other's attempting to bring clarity to the situation - but honestly I believe everyone's time is better spent purchasing an alternative that is not in such a state of flux and who's expected behavior is not lacking clarity.

masmole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, A6 Allroad, GT3
Country flag
Sitting ignored in a closet!
It's not even good enough to keep in the trunk or frunk for emergency charging while away from home? Or do you use a different non-Porsche mobile EVSE for that?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It's not even good enough to keep in the trunk or frunk for emergency charging while away from home? Or do you use a different non-Porsche mobile EVSE for that?
there are better, smaller, lighter, more compatible, and more functional mobile EVSE's for not a lot of money - but yeah the PMC+/PMCC can be used for mobile road trip duty - but again it's fairly bulky and heavy - and when I'm traveling cargo room is at a premium - so smaller is better for me personally.

I consider the PMC+/PMCC to be fail in a number of dimensions - if it were rock solid reliable I would forgive a lot of it's issues…but that ship has sailed.

masmole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, A6 Allroad, GT3
Country flag
there are better, smaller, lighter, more compatible, and more functional mobile EVSE's for not a lot of money - but yeah the PMC+/PMCC can be used for mobile road trip duty - but again it's fairly bulky and heavy - and when I'm traveling cargo room is at a premium - so smaller is better for me personally.

I consider the PMC+/PMCC to be fail in a number of dimensions - if it were rock solid reliable I would forgive a lot of it's issues…but that ship has sailed.
True. It does seem very bulky, especially when kept in that large zipper case Porsche provides.

Any recommendations for a compact alternative for travel?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
True. It does seem very bulky, especially when kept in that large zipper case Porsche provides.

Any recommendations for a compact alternative for travel?
  • $230 - https://shop.tesla.com/product/mobile-connector - great 32 amp EVSE for mobile duty - optional lots and lots of NEMA plug adapters - REQUIRES TESLA-TAP or comparable but you should have one of those anyway when traveling…this item + full adapter kit and you'll be able to charge at most _ANY_ NEMA plug you encounter in north america - smaller and lighter than PMC+/PMCC - more functional given robust adapter choices…
  • $200 - https://shop.tesla.com/product/corded-mobile-connector - fixed (NEMA 14-50 plug - no adapters available) - but solid 40 amp 9.6 kW EVSE for road duty - requires TESLA-TAP (see above) - great $200 alternative to the PMC+/PMCC for stay at home duty or mobile road-warrior duty.
  • $350-$500 - Mustart 32 or 40 amp mobile EVSE's are also a good choice - no Tesla-Tap required, but again if you're concerned about charging on the road you should have a Tesla-Tap anyways
honestly mobile EVSE's are less and less of an issue given the proliferation of public charging (L2 and FastDC) - my recent ~2500 mile road trip from CA to WA and back saw _NO_ use of my mobile EVSE kit…this is very different than my EV road trips even 2 years ago…

I would not rush to buy a mobile EVSE until you have a proven need and know for a fact public/business charging won't do the job for you.

and mobile EVSE's don't solve anything if you can't find a NEMA plug to use - so utilization requires knowledge that you'll be able to access/park at a NEMA plug for several hours…so it's not a cure-all. But is an excellent safety net.

this thread has been well received over the years and lays out a pretty compelling road-warrior "kit" - but utilization of this type of kit is on the decline not increasing…so it may be money poorly spent - you've been warned…it was required 5+ years ago, and sees little use these days.

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...and-useful-road-warrior-ev-charging-kit.6812/

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
  • $230 - https://shop.tesla.com/product/mobile-connector - great 32 amp EVSE for mobile duty - optional lots and lots of NEMA plug adapters - REQUIRES TESLA-TAP or comparable but you should have one of those anyway when traveling…this item + full adapter kit and you'll be able to charge at most _ANY_ NEMA plug you encounter in north america - smaller and lighter than PMC+/PMCC - more functional given robust adapter choices…
  • $200 - https://shop.tesla.com/product/corded-mobile-connector - fixed (NEMA 14-50 plug - no adapters available) - but solid 40 amp 9.6 kW EVSE for road duty - requires TESLA-TAP (see above) - great $200 alternative to the PMC+/PMCC for stay at home duty.
  • $350-$500 - Mustart 32 or 40 amp mobile EVSE's are also a good choice - no Tesla-Tap required, but again if you're concerned about charging on the road you should have a Tesla-Tap anyways
honestly mobile EVSE's are less and less of an issue given the proliferation of public charging (L2 and FastDC) - my recent ~2500 mile road trip from CA to WA and back saw _NO_ use of my mobile EVSE kit…this is very different than my EV road trips even 2 years ago…

I would not rush to buy a mobile EVSE until you have a proven need and know for a fact public/business charging won't do the job for you.

this thread has been well received over the years and lays out a pretty compelling road-warrior "kit" - but utilization of this type of kit is on the decline not increasing…so it may be money poorly spent - you've been warned…it was required 5+ years ago, and sees little use these days.

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...and-useful-road-warrior-ev-charging-kit.6812/
On my most recent ~2500 mile road trip I used the following to charge my Taycan
  1. EA FastDC chargers (80%) - always a struggle but if you're persistent you can normally make it work - mind you functional does not mean the stops were quick - sometime it was a REAL struggle…
    1. I also had a couple of "flawless" stops - fast & efficient - but that was uncommon on this particular trip and matches my previous experience.
  2. ChargePoint FastDC Chargers (5%)
  3. Hotel 30/40 amp L2 J-1772 chargers - (5%)
  4. Hotel/Business Tesla Wall Chargers via TeslaTap - (10%)
I _NEVER_ unpacked my road-warrior kit - not once - never needed to - between public/business based EV chargers the road warrior kit saw no use - but TeslaTap was required (not optional) at 1/2 the hotels I stayed at - they had Tesla Destination chargers but no J-1772 chargers…

Last edited:
OP
OP

MisterG7

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag

Thank you all for you helpful feedback.
Sponsored