First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tayvan GTS, June BMW M4 Convert, Audi, Alfa Romeo
Country flag
Hi All:

We are upgrading our electrical at home to deal with 2 electric cars. One is my Taycan and the second will come in '23 and probably be a Macan for my Wife.

We have 200 amps to the house and that is NOT upgradable.

I've got three options:
1) add two 50 amp 240 circuits, one for each car and two charging stations -- this is painful as we are also adding solar and switching some appliances from gas to electric, so we are tight on circuits (not actual power)
2) Add one mobile connect station and share -- I like the new Porsche one that does 19.2 (not the one in the configurator, the one on their web site: https://shop.porsche.com/us/en/pors...t/p/$B-HCHH0LAA/HCHH0LAA#more-product-details
3) Buy the ClipperCreek 80 Amp share that gets me 15.4kwh with one car and 9.x for each of 2 cars when two cars are plugged in.

I am aware of and have selected the 19.2 kW On-Board Charger as I assume I am going to go with option 2 or 3 and I am 100% for sure I need faster charging often enough so its worth the extra money on my home charger.

Question:
1) Any thoughts on the better of #2 vs #3?
2) Does anyone offer a 100 amp share (so I can get to 19.2 with one car)?
3) Is there any way to share a circuit so that my range (that needs a dedicated 50 amp) and the car can share? I use those at different times and have second oven in case I need to charge and cook :)

Thanks!
Sponsored

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
I would go with option 2 if it were me. But either 2 or 3 is probably good.

You should make a poll.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I'd consider a "dual" load charger - like the Wattzilla or ClipperCreek "share2" chargers - or even the Tesla Wall Chargers…

it's better than "fixed" load chargers splitting a circuit in two…

the split load chargers give "all the amps" to a single EV when it's charging solo - and split the load when two EV's are charging -best of both worlds, cost should be a wash once you've committed to installing two chargers anyways…

split load EVSE is the way to go here - Wattzilla, ClipperCreek or Tesla Wall Chargers will do the trick.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Make sure if you have a hardwired EVSE, that you have a backup receptacle for a plug-in EVSE like the PMC+ of you ever need it.

OP
OP

andrew1cohen

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thank you -- this is exactly what I was looking for.

-Andrew

TaycanCook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MG 4S CT
Country flag
Hi All:

We are upgrading our electrical at home to deal with 2 electric cars. One is my Taycan and the second will come in '23 and probably be a Macan for my Wife.

We have 200 amps to the house and that is NOT upgradable.

I've got three options:
1) add two 50 amp 240 circuits, one for each car and two charging stations -- this is painful as we are also adding solar and switching some appliances from gas to electric, so we are tight on circuits (not actual power)
2) Add one mobile connect station and share -- I like the new Porsche one that does 19.2 (not the one in the configurator, the one on their web site: https://shop.porsche.com/us/en/porsche-wall-charger-connect/p/$B-HCHH0LAA/HCHH0LAA#more-product-details
3) Buy the ClipperCreek 80 Amp share that gets me 15.4kwh with one car and 9.x for each of 2 cars when two cars are plugged in.

I am aware of and have selected the 19.2 kW On-Board Charger as I assume I am going to go with option 2 or 3 and I am 100% for sure I need faster charging often enough so its worth the extra money on my home charger.

Question:
1) Any thoughts on the better of #2 vs #3?
2) Does anyone offer a 100 amp share (so I can get to 19.2 with one car)?
3) Is there any way to share a circuit so that my range (that needs a dedicated 50 amp) and the car can share? I use those at different times and have second oven in case I need to charge and cook :)

Thanks!
For problem #1 & #3, ask your electrician if it's an option to add a sub panel which will give you more circuits.

OP
OP

andrew1cohen

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hi All:

Since my wife is on. the list to get an electric Macan late next year (its not a real list, its a list for the list, welcome to San Francisco), we decided on the Wattzilla, set up with one, 100 amp circuit so that for my car alone, I'll always get 19.2, but when we have both cars, we'll share that 100 amp circuit. This is testing the limits of the 200 amps we have in the house! We'll be installing a subpanel as we are also adding solar with a very small battery at the same time. I'm surprised ClipperCreek only has an 80amp share and not a 100 amp share.

I hope I hear something about my car actually locking this week ...
Sponsored