OP
OP

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Thanks for the explanations, much more clear! I agree that the PMCC should say "power consumed", not "power consumption". I'm not totally clueless about this stuff, I'm actually developing my own power monitoring device. But the language in the Porsche docs had me totally confused. Very helpful also to be able to switch to the kW number from the "mi/min" number. I didn't know about that, thanks. So it's saying I'm burning 7.9 kw.

Part of my confusion is that I thought that you could fully charge the car from empty overnight. Not really, at .3 miles/minute. But I guess it charges a lot faster in the beginning.
Sponsored

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
7.9 kw is the charge rate you're seeing

so 83.4 kWh / 7.9 kW = 10.55 hours for a full charge from empty - call it 11 hours with overhead…

OP
OP

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
7.9 kw is the charge rate you're seeing

so 83.4 kWh / 7.9 kW = 10.55 hours for a full charge from empty - call it 11 hours with overhead…
83.4? Don't you mean 93.4?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
83.4 is what is "usable" the other is reserved by Porsche…0% battery is not really 0% - it's the lowest amount the Battery Management System (BMS) allows - so it's reasonable to assume that 0% represents 83.7 kWh "consumed" cause the rest is resevered for battery longevity and Porsche's own use - so all you can ever "replace" while charging is what you were allowed to consume - which is 83.7 kWh.

https://ev-database.uk/car/1229/Porsche-Taycan-Turbo

Porsche Taycan Confused about charging rate Screen Shot 2020-09-02 at 5.24.01 PM

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Mwa3aan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 Raptor, Porsche Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I also thinking a sub-optimal German to English translation isn't helping here…

the text is:

I'm going to humbly suggest the following text would be more precise

it's not consumption at this moment - it's how much power has been consumed so far…

English is a tricky language sometimes.
Dave, great explanation above. It helped me understand the different numbers as well. Thanks!

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
I also thinking a sub-optimal German to English translation isn't helping here…

the text is:

I'm going to humbly suggest the following text would be more precise

it's not consumption at this moment - it's how much power has been consumed so far…

English is a tricky language sometimes.
Same for German to Dutch.
Charge Level is translated to "Accuspanning" which means "battery voltage" instead of "Battery Level"...

When charging to a specific time and it doesn't reach the set level I get the notification "Doelspanning wordt niet bereikt", in English: "set voltage is not going to be reached"...
Very strange, lol. :)

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Thank you for this explanation David. Totally bypassed that when looking at Dave's original photos.

Agree it is very confusing for most people though!
I think it is very clear if you think as kWh as in liter, gallons, or whatever capacity any of your tanks can hold.

The other one, kW would be the size of the hose (A) and the pressure (V) inside with which you fill the tank.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Same for German to Dutch.
Charge Level is translated to "Accuspanning" which means "battery voltage" instead of "Battery Level"...

When charging to a specific time and it doesn't reach the set level I get the notification "Doelspanning wordt niet bereikt", in English: "set voltage is not going to be reached"...
Very strange, lol. :)
Translating German manuals is a whole industry with the ferocious amount of text produced...:swear:

slothinker

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 (now sold), Toyota MR2, BMW 328i (now sold)
Country flag
I notice there are options to pre-heat or pre-cool the battery but haven't seen clear guidance on when one of these actions is needed and how much improvement would be seen in terms of charging speed. Would appreciate any pointers. In my case charging is in a garage which typically has an ambient temperature of 70-75° F. most months of the year.
Sponsored