Redhot2474

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS
Country flag
Just plugged my car in for first time, it’s a Tesla level 2 charger in my parking garage. I’m using my Tesla tap (80amp), is 7.4kw the best I can expect? This is about 12 miles an hour which is painfully slow. Is there a setting in menu I’m missing? My Tesla on same charger was getting 28-32miles back an hour - Im not sure of Amp/breaker size of charger.

Porsche Taycan Charging rate? First time … DCEE1220-B7EA-4876-BE3F-AA56820210ED
Sponsored

Last edited:

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Just plugged my car in for first time, it’s a Tesla level 2 charger in my parking garage. I’m using my Tesla tap (80amp), is 7.4kw the best I can expect? This is about 12 miles an hour which is painfully slow. Is there a setting in menu I’m missing? Im not sure of Amp/breaker size of charger.

DCEE1220-B7EA-4876-BE3F-AA56820210ED.png
Standard onboard AC charger is 11kW.

Depending on the supply current and reduction on flow attributable to the tap (if any) may lead to you effectively getting 32A - 40A.

This would be entirely normal in UK.

No menu setting.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Just plugged my car in for first time, it’s a Tesla level 2 charger in my parking garage. I’m using my Tesla tap (80amp), is 7.4kw the best I can expect? This is about 12 miles an hour which is painfully slow. Is there a setting in menu I’m missing? Im not sure of Amp/breaker size of charger.

Seems fine to me. If you want fast charging you want a 350kW EA station.

Note that AC charging is going to be an overnight-style thing.

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag

Given the power of your EVSE, you should be getting the full 11kW. Double check the settings on your EVSE. Not sure there is any setting on the car that would throttle you back but others would know..

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Given the power of your EVSE, you should be getting the full 11kW. Double check the settings on your EVSE.
How can you know that? Tesla EVSE can be configured for pretty much any amp rating so it's going to vary.

I'm guessing that one is 32-40 amps based on the charge rate on the car's side.

xyeahtony

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Integra 6MT, 23 CT4S
Country flag
is the onboard charger 11kw? porsche.com shows 9.6kw
Porsche Taycan Charging rate? First time … 1673140450877

OP
OP
Redhot2474

Redhot2474

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS
Country flag
How can you know that? Tesla EVSE can be configured for pretty much any amp rating so it's going to vary.

I got about 28-32 miles back an hour on my Tesla on same charger

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

The OP’s 80A EVSE has the capability of delivering well beyond 11kW. If he is getting significantly less than that, it’s likely just a setting on the EVSE. I recommend double checking it.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
I got about 28-32 miles back an hour on my Tesla on same charger
A couple of points.

1. "Miles per hour" of charging is basically a nonsensical stat. It's making assumptions about range, which means it's making assumptions about consumption patterns.

2. Porsche shows this nonsense stat as "Miles per minute" which is even dumber - you have to multiply that by 60 to compare against Tesla, and even then it's meaningless because of point #1 (and Tesla's over-estimation of range.)

Right now I am charging two vehicles. A Tesla model 3 on a 48 amp EVSE (60 amp circuit) and my Taycan on a 40 amp EVSE (wallbox on a 50 amp circuit.)

The Tesla is reporting 45 mi/hr.
The Taycan is reporting 0.4 mi/minute, or 24 mi/hr.

Is my car charging half the rate of the Tesla? Absolutely not.

Doing some guesswork here, if my Tesla reports 45 mi/hr and it's 48 amps, and yours reflects 28-32 mi/hr I am almost certain your Tesla EVSE is delivering 32 amps. (This is particularly true if it's the mobile one that came with the car, which is limited to that.)

32 amps at 240 volts equals 7.68kW which you're very close to at 7.4 - well within the range of expected loss between charger and vehicle.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
The OP’s 80A EVSE has the capability of delivering well beyond 11kW. If he is getting significantly less than that, it’s likely just a setting on the EVSE. I recommend double checking it.
The OP doesn't have an 80 amp EVSE. He has an 80 amp TeslaTap.
It's an important distinction.

It can run on EVSE's up to 80 amps but we've got no information about the one he is using with it.

OP
OP
Redhot2474

Redhot2474

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS
Country flag
A couple of points.

1. "Miles per hour" of charging is basically a nonsensical stat. It's making assumptions about range, which means it's making assumptions about consumption patterns.

2. Porsche shows this nonsense stat as "Miles per minute" which is even dumber - you have to multiply that by 60 to compare against Tesla, and even then it's meaningless because of point #1 (and Tesla's over-estimation of range.)

Right now I am charging two vehicles. A Tesla model 3 on a 48 amp EVSE (60 amp circuit) and my Taycan on a 40 amp EVSE (wallbox on a 50 amp circuit.)

The Tesla is reporting 45 mi/hr.
The Taycan is reporting 0.4 mi/minute, or 24 mi/hr.

Is my car charging half the rate of the Tesla? Absolutely not.

Doing some guesswork here, if my Tesla reports 45 mi/hr and it's 48 amps, and yours reflects 28-32 mi/hr I am almost certain your Tesla EVSE is delivering 32 amps. (This is particularly true if it's the mobile one that came with the car, which is limited to that.)

32 amps at 240 volts equals 7.68kW which you're very close to at 7.4 - well within the range of expected loss between charger and vehicle.
Thank you Derek, this sounds logical - DaveO where u at buddy?

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
FWIW I went through a similar "WTF" moment the first time I charged my first Taycan (on my wife's 48 amp Tesla EVSE with a TeslaTap.)

The only true way to compare apples to apples here is to compare the kW on both sides, which Tesla doesn't seem to provide.

kW is an accurate, consumption-agnostic measure of power delivery.

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

It can run on EVSE's up to 80 amps but we've got no information about the one he is using with it.
I misread his original post

LOL. Forums are built for stuff like this…