Confused by navigation

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
Yesterday I was driving back to our hotel in Deauville. In Le Havre the situation with exits is complex befor going on the bridges (port and pond de Normandy for example)

I went wrong 2 times and felt really stupid. Second time I had to stay the high way for 8 km for the next exit to turn around.

Halfway I met exactly the same Dolomite Silver CT, also from Belgium. I took the exit and het followed me. And also returned to head for the correct highway.

what ar the odds. Both making the same mistake. I think the PCM wasn’t really clear with instructions. Or Belgian Dolomite Silver Taycan CT drivers are bad map readers.
Sponsored

Alex74

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 CT (MY22)
Country flag
It’s not the colour. 😏It’s the pcm ! For moments it’s crap, comparing with other cars. But when it works 👌i’m lucky i still have my iphone, that helps me out.
this was last weekend, all gone., after new update on friday.

Porsche Taycan Confused by navigation AC390AFE-1BD0-4205-AFB4-FE93F9871723

Porsche Taycan Confused by navigation 4B60B93D-E8DC-4E2D-A7E2-89DB5FB5DF4C

Porsche Taycan Confused by navigation 2A5E1193-BE4A-4692-88FC-DAE59FA2DA66

OP
OP
McgR

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
It’s not the colour. 😏It’s the pcm ! For moments it’s crap, comparing with other cars. But when it works 👌i’m lucky i still have my iphone, that helps me out.

AC390AFE-1BD0-4205-AFB4-FE93F9871723.jpeg

4B60B93D-E8DC-4E2D-A7E2-89DB5FB5DF4C.jpeg

2A5E1193-BE4A-4692-88FC-DAE59FA2DA66.jpeg
With fast changes and exits it is not really clear. BMW navigation showed the road names and lanes accurately but also the second exit if it was near. The instructions in the HUD were also a bit more intuitive

I must admit this was a very French web of intersections. Wonder if Idrive / MBUx would have done a better job ? Or Tom Tom app in car play.

Part of the problem is that I still have to figure out where to look: the map on the central display, the HUD, the map in the middle tube or the instruction I the right tube. Or probably all of them together.

it is difficult in complex navigation situations.

4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Previously: 914, 944 and 997 911S. Now Taycan
Country flag
I've found multiple examples where the PCM directions are not necessarily incorrect, but nonsensical. When I compare to Google or Apple Maps I find those are more accurate.

Another problem I've experienced lately is trying to send directions to the car from my "My Porsche" app. I've used this to plot a trip and then "send destination to car" but they don't pop up on the car until I am already halfway to where I am going. Wondering if others can comment on this or tell me what I am doing wrong.

BMonte13

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan
Country flag

AC390AFE-1BD0-4205-AFB4-FE93F9871723.jpeg

4B60B93D-E8DC-4E2D-A7E2-89DB5FB5DF4C.jpeg

2A5E1193-BE4A-4692-88FC-DAE59FA2DA66.jpeg
This was AFTER the update? Isn’t the update supposed to address PCMs that have the all black issue?

OP
OP
McgR

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
I've found multiple examples where the PCM directions are not necessarily incorrect, but nonsensical. When I compare to Google or Apple Maps I find those are more accurate.

Another problem I've experienced lately is trying to send directions to the car from my "My Porsche" app. I've used this to plot a trip and then "send destination to car" but they don't pop up on the car until I am already halfway to where I am going. Wondering if others can comment on this or tell me what I am doing wrong.
It would be more practical to have a map with received destinations. Now it just pops up. Or doesn’t.
What I do know is set the destination as a favorite in my phone app.

Or if I select navigate to the destination in the app and then select sent route to car it seems to be more consistent in receiving the destination when entering the car

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Yesterday I was driving back to our hotel in Deauville. In Le Havre the situation with exits is complex befor going on the bridges (port and pond de Normandy for example)

I went wrong 2 times and felt really stupid. Second time I had to stay the high way for 8 km for the next exit to turn around.

Halfway I met exactly the same Dolomite Silver CT, also from Belgium. I took the exit and het followed me. And also returned to head for the correct highway.

what ar the odds. Both making the same mistake. I think the PCM wasn’t really clear with instructions. Or Belgian Dolomite Silver Taycan CT drivers are bad map readers.
Unfortunately that is the quality of the PCM. The map material s well as the routing algorithms need a major overhaul. I have been sent down gravel tracks that would not be drivable unless you have a Jeep! It also often sends me down roads that are blocked and not drivable at all. Unfortunately this exact same problem occurred in my the new 2003 Cayenne. And it is not updated yet in the Taycan that uses the same supplier for the maps etc. HERE ex Navtec!. So do not expect a speedy resolution.

The best way is to use Apple CarPlay ( or Android ) and navigate with Google maps Or Waze. Google maps is far superior with updated state of the traffic as well.

Drawback is of course that you then have to look at centre screen and no use of HUD etc. But very reliable compared to that lousy built in navigator

OP
OP
McgR

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
Unfortunately that is the quality of the PCM. The map material s well as the routing algorithms need a major overhaul. I have been sent down gravel tracks that would not be drivable unless you have a Jeep! It also often sends me down roads that are blocked and not drivable at all. Unfortunately this exact same problem occurred in my the new 2003 Cayenne. And it is not updated yet in the Taycan that uses the same supplier for the maps etc. HERE ex Navtec!. So do not expect a speedy resolution.

The best way is to use Apple CarPlay ( or Android ) and navigate with Google maps Or Waze. Google maps is far superior with updated state of the traffic as well.

Drawback is of course that you then have to look at centre screen and no use of HUD etc. But very reliable compared to that lousy built in navigator
I have Tom Tom installed in my IPhone and that worked well in my X5. Maps in CarPlay in the X5 could display info in the HUD. Unfortunately Apple or Porsche didn’t implement this in the Taycan.

I think I will give it a try with T T. Don’t really like the Waze maps and instructions. Google maps is ok too.

In the X5 I could put Tom Tom on the central display and Idrive running in the back. The HUD showed idrive instructions and central display Tom Tom.

if I put in a destination in the car navigation I always check if google maps (long trips) or Waze chose the same route.

yesterday I wanted to use a Ionity return from Normandy to Belgium. On google maps the fastest way to go home was over Rouen. ABRP indicated it was 10 minutes longer over Baie de la Somme. This route has 3 Ionity chargers and from charging point of view it is safer. Over Rouen / Lille I had very few charging possibilities. PCM indicated 25 minutes longer over B dl S. When I still had 200 km of 120 and 130 km/h highway to do PCM indicated it would take me 2.5 hours. And no traffic jams or detours. An hour before arrival time of arrival started to go down and I arrived 20 minutes before the first estimate in PCM. I was driving the normal speed limits At the end ABRP was correct in its estimation. I just don’t get the Porsche algorithm.

Range on arrival works really well. Usually I am 1-2 % above. It also seems to take hills and speedlimits in account.

One other thing that is strange. I have PIRM. When a navigate to destination in range mode it uses the SoC at arrival I set. The route in normal mode can be 20 minute longer but with a SoC at arrival of 75%. Looks like in normal mode it just chooses a SoC and doesn’t take the set value. If I start navigation in range mode en switch to normal the SOC stays at the set value like intended.

QueenBean

First Name
Jill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Polestar 2, Rubicon 4xe, F-Pace
Country flag
Generally try not to use the Porsche navigation until I am within 50-100 miles of the next DC Fast Charging station for battery pre-conditioning only. I use Waze, Apple Maps, or Google Maps for most of the navigation because the Porsche navigation routes are ludicrous most of the time.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Generally try not to use the Porsche navigation until I am within 50-100 miles of the next DC Fast Charging station for battery pre-conditioning only. I use Waze, Apple Maps, or Google Maps for most of the navigation because the Porsche navigation routes are ludicrous most of the time.
I agree!

You can use the Navigation in the car going on a motorway stretch, but have Google Maps running on an non car connected device to check traffic etc. That way you might get the battery preconditioning to work etc. Which is not really needed on a long drive in summer time though..

Google maps any time for me!

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
Very annoying that they make it so difficult to run the Porsche Navigation and Waze via Apple simultaneously. I find that I can get them both to stay on after repeatedly turning each on after the other shuts it off. Any shortcuts or settings to get them to stop shutting each other off?

ithinkmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'17 3, '22 4S CT, '22 MXP
Country flag
It's the software, Apple CarPlay is using PCM NAV signal as input, so there's no workaround on this until Porsche updates PCM to separate it (like likes of other manufacturers).

-ThinkMac-
Sponsored