DashCam and WiFi

maddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (ordered)
Country flag
I’m going to install the BlackVue 900X Plus. Here are 3 specific questions - please help. I didn’t really get a clear answer from the installer. The main reason to get this is the parking mode and I feel the car might be mishandled in the garage. I usually drive on weekends so I want the parking mode to work atleast 7 days.

- What size memory card is adequate.
- Do I need the battery pack ? Where will the camera gets it power from when the car is off. Which of the 2 battery packs.
- I wanted cloud connectivity but there is no wifi in the garage, or it’s sketchy. Should I get the BlackVue LTE or the Verizon service that Porsche offers. I don’t like the look of the big black box that I would have to mountb on the window (& or me it’s noise insulated).

Love any thoughts !
Sponsored

TaycanCook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MG 4S CT
Country flag
Great choice with the dash cam. I'm curious, are you suspecting that the attendants are playing bumper cars with your car as it's parked? Or are you suspecting that it's being mishandled while it's being parked?

the latter, you don't need parking mode. The former, you do.

The blackvue will be powered off the small battery. I also only drive on the weekends. I will check my footage to see if it's been constantly recording. If it has been, then you'll be fine without an aux battery. If it hasn't been, then someone else should opine if you need that battery.

Memory card, get the biggest one you can, i.e. 256gb is the max that is accepted. Bear in mind how much footage that would hold, i.e. < 24 hours if it were recording non-stop. Reference for you

outie

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, McLaren 720S Spider, Taycan GTS
Country flag
On my Tesla I used to have a wifi hotspot attached to the USB port. It gets charged when the car runs and when the car is off it runs off its own internal battery, which lasts many hours.

My understanding is that if your Taycan is off, the built-in hotspot is probably off too? If so parking mode notifications wouldn't work either.

Sushivore

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Here are my suggestions:
1) Go with a 256 GB Micro SD Card. I'd suggest buying the card with the camera to assure compatibility.
2) You can install the camera so that it is always connected to car power, but my installer would not for fear of causing reliability or warranty issues. So I ended up buying the battery and the extended battery. Even so, it only lasts a couple of days in parking mode. I don't think you will get 7 days of parking mode, at least not with two cameras. You may need to connect to car power, and I am not sure if you would need to keep the car on a charger during that time to prevent the 12v battery from discharging. The Blackvue camera does have a low voltage shut off to protect the battery.
3) You don't need cloud connectivity unless you need remote access. If you do, you will need some type of connection to the internet for the camera.

OP
OP

maddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (ordered)
Country flag
Hi,

Thanks for all the suggestions on the forum. A little price difference but I let the Porsche dealer install. As recommended, safer on warranty. It’s with the 124X battery pack Below are the pictures. Would love to know if you think the job is done fine, or could be better. I didn’t want to tell him till I could see it done better. But I’ll see the technician tm for setup (as wifi kept failing). If there’s a less obstructive way, please share pictures :)

Porsche Taycan DashCam and WiFi 5E488909-2017-48AB-B808-ECF2BCF850F8

Porsche Taycan DashCam and WiFi 3143B1BF-2827-4A46-9ACD-9A77C1984F69

Porsche Taycan DashCam and WiFi 32BE3B12-F7C4-4339-8AC6-381B19AFBF12

Porsche Taycan DashCam and WiFi 68C60924-5795-41AE-A87E-14EE6768F651

outie

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, McLaren 720S Spider, Taycan GTS
Country flag
Hi,

Thanks for all the suggestions on the forum. A little price difference but I let the Porsche dealer install. As recommended, safer on warranty. It’s with the 124X battery pack Below are the pictures. Would love to know if you think the job is done fine, or could be better. I didn’t want to tell him till I could see it done better. But I’ll see the technician tm for setup (as wifi kept failing). If there’s a less obstructive way, please share pictures :)

5E488909-2017-48AB-B808-ECF2BCF850F8.jpeg

3143B1BF-2827-4A46-9ACD-9A77C1984F69.jpeg

32BE3B12-F7C4-4339-8AC6-381B19AFBF12.jpeg

68C60924-5795-41AE-A87E-14EE6768F651.jpeg
It does seem quite obstructive, but you are the one driving. I can see why they are installed the way they are to keep the frame absolute centered, but to me being centered isn’t that important compared to the obstructiveness.

Mines are installed off center.

Porsche Taycan DashCam and WiFi EA1B8FCF-C6D1-4A22-8E8F-0100CB4851D3

Porsche Taycan DashCam and WiFi F40FB00A-43A9-4C2E-BB3C-99FCC9C1A916