Dealer damaged bumper--what to do?

NFBJRD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan GTS
Country flag
So I took my 2-month-old car to the dealership to have them take a look at a squeak in the driver seat. I got a message late in the day Saturday that somehow the car sustained some damage to the front bumper while in their lot. It looked like the PPF took the brunt of it and that replacing that was the extent of the work that needed to be performed but today I received the message below:

Paint is okay but there is a small indentation on the bumper, you can feel it. Only way to get it completely smooth is to paint it. Let me know what you think.

I think I'm pissed and that I don't want a repainted bumper. Or a new bumper. I'm not sure what to do. I want to go see how visible the indentation is (probably not much if a layer of paint can mask it?) but I'm also not sure what that would do besides have me annoyed and face-to-face with the service folks.

Anyone have thoughts about how to go about this? What should I be asking or expecting?
Sponsored

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Have it fixed and painted. Not a big deal. Not uncommon for this to happen at the port before delivery.

Bill33525

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘24 Q8 ETron 55 SUV, '22 Taycan RWD
Country flag
My Taycan was in the dealer for quick update when a delivery truck backed into my trunk lid putting a small dent into the lid. Dealer of course repaired the damage but a year later the repaint changed color and under sunlight the shade of the repaint was different from the rest of the car. The dealer had to send my car out to a Euro Paint shop. looks okay now but hope it doesn't change again. Something to keep an eye on.

Hanny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S Carmine Red
Country flag
Not sure as to extent the damage is but very common, where heat won’t fix, for them to lightly fill, sand and paint to hide damage. As mentioned some have had this whilst being shipped and I’ll guess most new owners would be non the wiser.

Chances of getting a complete new bumper, depending on extent of damage of course, for minor damage - probably slim.

How ever, I would be pushing for repair AND replacement of PPF by who every fitted your original….plus loaner for duration of course.

gusone

First Name
gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW Series 3 XDRIVE M SPORT
Country flag
Have it fixed and painted. Not a big deal. Not uncommon for this to happen at the port before delivery.
Yes, what’s done is done. You won’t see the difference unless you worked in a body shop for 30 years. No point raging, ultimately they get paid a wage, go home at 5:30pm and don’t care. It’s self destructive. Better to keep that positive energy, get it done, move on.

OP
OP
NFBJRD

NFBJRD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Stevens Creek in Santa Clara.

I did ultimately just go with the flow and let them handle it. My only request was about protecting the interior with seat covers and steering wheel cover at all time. I also insisted on using a preferred PPF shop. And I asked for some additional compensation which came in the form of a HUD trim piece I was going to otherwise pay to swap. (Lesson: be very careful applying leather ceramic protectant!)

Overall, the team at Stevens Creek has been very responsive and helpful. Crappy situation but they’re not making it worse or more inconvenient than it already is. I should have the car back next week.
Sponsored