Smichael

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012.5 991.1
Country flag
As I am in the process of buying a “new to me” ‘20 4S CPO (w/ 6 mos of original warranty left, 9,500 miles) I need to decide if I want any of the add-on warranty products the F&I person is offering .

Based on the experience of those here with the car and now that the initial bugs have been dealt with , would you buy:

1. Porsche 1-3 additional (post CPO) year extended warranty: $100 deductible (dealer quote : $5,500, $6300, $7,079)? (Seems crazy expensive to me. How much would similar “exclusionary “ policies from a 3rd party cost?)

Also, 5 years of:

2. Tire and Wheel protection ($2,200)?

3. Ding protection ($750)?

Thanks
Sponsored

SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Macan GTS, 23 Taycan Turbo, 20 Cayenne Turbo,
Country flag
I can chime in with the data that I have about dealer sold at delivery Premier Wheel & Tire PFS Porsche Protection Plan:

2023 Taycan with Mission E: 84 months for $2.400 no deductible
2020 Cayenne with Turbo Wheels: 84 months for $1,500 and $50 deductible

The only numbers I can share regarding CPO are the following. Our 2016 Macan Turbo with 75k miles was certified CPO to a new buyer for 2 years at $3,000 and additional year was like $100 more.

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
As I am in the process of buying a “new to me” ‘20 4S CPO (w/ 6 mos of original warranty left, 9,500 miles) I need to decide if I want any of the add-on warranty products the F&I person is offering .

Based on the experience of those here with the car and now that the initial bugs have been dealt with , would you buy:

1. Porsche 1-3 additional (post CPO) year extended warranty: $100 deductible (dealer quote : $5,500, $6300, $7,079)? (Seems crazy expensive to me. How much would similar “exclusionary “ policies from a 3rd party cost?)

Also, 5 years of:

2. Tire and Wheel protection ($2,200)?

3. Ding protection ($750)?

Thanks
If you need to finance, I would go with #1 only.

If you can pay cash, skip all of this stuff and put $10K in an online interest bearing savings account. It is very likely to be MUCH cheaper.

ithinkmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'17 3, '22 4S CT, '22 MXP
Country flag
I went with xCare because I had it on my Teslas. 100k miles / 10 years, it's 100k miles on top of whatever mileage you have on your car, not capped at 100k miles. when I bought, I had over 40k miles on my Taycan, so extended warranty is good for 140k miles.

$100/deductible per dealer visit, when I had my Tesla, I would group all my issues together in 1 visit, and pay the $100 deductible (or maybe it was $150, I forgot, not in front of paperwork). I think the xCare was worth it, have several issues on my Teslas and was taken care of without issues. Service center call them and they paid with credit card over the phone. Tesla extended warranty was bought at 60k miles, for about $6k. They did not cover the battery at the time, but now they do (extra cost for Teslas).

Click to check their web site.

I paid about $9k for the 10 year/100k miles extended. But if the if was bought with mileage below 20k, there's a heavy discount, I think I remember it around $6k or something like I was quoted, but my dealer said they have a product coming out and told me to wait, and it never materialized, so I end up buying it @ over 40k miles.

I negotiated for about $2.7k for the wheel/tire premium plus package. this includes windshield, key replacement on top of wheel/tire. this was for 7 years, so 84 months. Already had 3 tire replacement in the past year. $50 deductible per incident. Need a few more and I'll be making money. :)

-ThinkMac-

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
A dealer wants to earn money.
That's either by selling you warranty or by fixing your car outside the warranty.
You do the math.
See the conspiracy?
So, most people are afraid of paying huge bills so they take the extra warranty.

But.... a manufacturer who believes in his products can offer warranty cuz they know nothing major is going to break, right?

I always ask myself: do you feel lucky punk?
That's why I only took two years of extra warranty for a discount ($1500) and guess what? Nothing broke! What a surprise! 🤭

Last edited:

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
A dealer wants to earn money.
That's either by selling you warranty or by fixing your car outside the warranty.
You do the math.
See the conspiracy?
So, most people are afraid of paying huge bills so they take the extra warranty.

But.... a manufacturer who believes in his products can offer warranty cuz they know nothing major is going to break, right?

I always ask myself: do you feel lucky punk?
That's why I only took two years of extra warranty for a discount ($1500) and guess what? Nothing broke! What a surprise! 🤭
Well that is always the case with an insurance, isn’t it?

For me , I feel lucky that I have extended the warranty twice by now, and likely will do so again this year.

I had the the dreaded red electric fault issue and needed two modules replaced in the battery. I am not sure about the total cost of all the repairs and repatriation of us plus the car from Sweden to France. A wild guess would be around 15 000 Euros. The main battery repair would have been included in the Battery Warranty, but not the HV Battery Controller plus some other parts around it.

I now have further recurring issues with the communications module and /or PCM unit that needs to be repaired/changed.

I knew that there would be risky to buy a first generation of such major change from ICE car, and do not regret the purchase nor the extended warranty costs.

Tucson_Jim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan turbo
Country flag
Another data point for you. Paid $3600 for a 100,000/84 month Porsche platinum on my 2021 Turbo.

SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Another data point for you. Paid $3600 for a 100,000/84 month Porsche platinum on my 2021 Turbo.
Did you do it at the time of purchase when the car delivered new or later?

SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Bought the car used last March. Bought the warranty in May.
Sorry one more question, how many miles was on it when you purchased extended warranty and I wonder what does Platinum cover. I have the Tire and Wheel through dealer that is Porsche branded but I wonder if there is a link to a site that shows the details of the coverage that you got and if there are any other variations from Platinum. Tire and Wheel coverage comes with a hard copy paperwork with a lot of legal language, but I know what it covers and already used it once.

I am brand new at this point 6 months and 4k miles but will be keeping it long time so having some data along the way before I need to purchase extended warranty is very helpful.

Tucson_Jim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan turbo
Country flag
Sorry one more question, how many miles was on it when you purchased extended warranty and I wonder what does Platinum cover. I have the Tire and Wheel through dealer that is Porsche branded but I wonder if there is a link to a site that shows the details of the coverage that you got and if there are any other variations from Platinum. Tire and Wheel coverage comes with a hard copy paperwork with a lot of legal language, but I know what it covers and already used it once.

I am brand new at this point 6 months and 4k miles but will be keeping it long time so having some data along the way before I need to purchase extended warranty is very helpful.
Bought it with 3600 miles. Dealer said the price was good as long as it was under the original 3 year warranty. Coverage is an extension of the base 3 year warranty (nothing extra like wheels, etc) with $250 deductible per repair visit. The months/miles is from original in service date - not an add on. Does not cover the battery - already covered under their original battery warranty. If you do it, shop around. I got quotes as high as $5200 from other dealers. Doesn’t matter where you buy it. Coverage is universal at any Porsche dealer.
Sponsored