f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
I was very taken by the E-Tron GT styling and organised a test drive with my local Audi dealer.
Here in the UK with few straight wide roads and a vilage every 5 miles or so I found it very bulky and a bit ponderous to drive, but I liked the ergonomics of the heater and volume controls. In the end it felt too big and ungainly for our roads and being a non-hatchback it was a compromise for my most frequent passenger, my dog.

Trying the Taycan was almost an accident. I don't really follow the road car business so rather late came across the Taycan Cross Turismo. I went to my local Porsche dealer to have a look and they offered a test drive.

My oh my the difference on our roads was HUGE. It felt much smaller and nimble than the E-Tron had. It was brilliant in all the ways I thought the E-Tron not so impressive. I was amazed by everything about it other than the lower touch screen - I hate all touch screens, jack of all trades and master of the unintended selection - and it took me a couple of days to get my head round ordering the Taycan because of it.

Certainly for the roads I use it is the best overall car I have driven and the only big downside is the huge width, but there are plenty of people getting around here in vast SUVs (I really detest SUVs...) so I will get used to it.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Mr.Smith

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS E-Tron GT, VW ID.4 Pro
Country flag
I checked out the Audi GT, very nice. I'm currently waiting for a Taycan CT Turbo allocation since this summer, but had already 2 chances to buy the eTron GT. I would have pulled the trigger on a Audi GT RS, if only Audi made is as an estate car - heck keep the body line but make it a hatch like the Model S (simply hinge it higher and open the whole back window). Test driving the EQS this weekend. The exterior styling is bland but I don't buy cars to impress others with its looks - function over form for me almost every time (by CT build is $180K, out of that only $1,200 is for esthetic options). I also worry the non AMG version might be lacking for sportier handling, but other than that the EQS checks so many other boxes for me. Heck, I already have refundable deposits waiting for the Taycan CT Turbo, I might just put my name down for an EQS 580 and whichever can deliver first becomes my next ride.

I was planning to get the EQS when the concept was revealed, but then the production version was released.

It's a boat when it comes to handling, performance is quick enough for a luxury car.
The perfect scenario would have been a Mission R and a fully specced EQS 580.
Maybe the EQS 53 AMG would be better for you with it's sportier handling?

OP
OP
Mr.Smith

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I was very taken by the E-Tron GT styling and organised a test drive with my local Audi dealer.
Here in the UK with few straight wide roads and a vilage every 5 miles or so I found it very bulky and a bit ponderous to drive, but I liked the ergonomics of the heater and volume controls. In the end it felt too big and ungainly for our roads and being a non-hatchback it was a compromise for my most frequent passenger, my dog.

Trying the Taycan was almost an accident. I don't really follow the road car business so rather late came across the Taycan Cross Turismo. I went to my local Porsche dealer to have a look and they offered a test drive.

My oh my the difference on our roads was HUGE. It felt much smaller and nimble than the E-Tron had. It was brilliant in all the ways I thought the E-Tron not so impressive. I was amazed by everything about it other than the lower touch screen - I hate all touch screens, jack of all trades and master of the unintended selection - and it took me a couple of days to get my head round ordering the Taycan because of it.

Certainly for the roads I use it is the best overall car I have driven and the only big downside is the huge width, but there are plenty of people getting around here in vast SUVs (I really detest SUVs...) so I will get used to it.
How you describe the Taycan is very accurate. The driving dynamics are far superior and I felt the throttle response was better on the Taycan.
It feels like a much smaller car. The setup for the Taycan is sports car, E-Tron GT a GT.
The most pleasant component of the Taycan is the steering wheel feedback.

For the US roads, size is a little less of a problem

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
How you describe the Taycan is very accurate. The driving dynamics are far superior and I felt the throttle response was better on the Taycan.
It feels like a much smaller car. The setup for the Taycan is sports car, E-Tron GT a GT.
The most pleasant component of the Taycan is the steering wheel feedback.

For the US roads, size is a little less of a problem
Yes I understand in the USA, which I have visited often over the last 50 years, has completely different requirements to here.
I loved the styling of the E-Tron GT and liked the interior too so I understand your choice.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
Don’t do it Mr Smith
Go with your heart. Dont be fooled by spec you don’t need. A Taycan Turbo with NO extras is all you need!

The Taycan is a timeless classic. The perfect Porsche silhouette. The 4 door 911 we always wanted. Much sleeker and more elegant than a Panamera.
Would you buy a 911 disguised as an Audi TT because extra bits and bobs made it look cheaper? There is a reason you can get discounts on Audis and not Porsches. Of course there is no guarantee of future value but the best indicator is past performance.
Porsches have held their value better than Audis since the Dinosaurs roamed the Earth. The Audi is a lovely car.
Just not as lovely as a Porsche.
+1:like:

jvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ice Grey CT4
Country flag
Mr Smith, Congrats!

My e-tron GT order would have been delivering now. I went back and forth between the two. If I were in the market for e-tron GT or Taycan sedan, I would have gone with the e-tron GT, 100%. I chose the Taycan for the practicality offered by the Cross Turismo and the value offered the CT4 configuration in particular.

The CT4 I ordered, supposedly starting into production tomorrow ?, came in at the same price (less performance, but good looking wheels ?). Regrets? I have a few, but IMO you can't go wrong with either car. Great to have choices and the RS e-tron GT is a phenomenal car.

kreshi

First Name
hansi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
Until I drove my first Porsche I was always an Audi geek. I still think the A7 is one of the most beautiful cars on the road. I have seen a couple e-tron GTs on the road now. To me it’s one of the worst looking Audis. The front is not bad at all, the back is horrendous and the side view is the worst in the company. Keep in mind this is my personal opinion/taste.

OP
OP
Mr.Smith

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Mr Smith, Congrats!

My e-tron GT order would have been delivering now. I went back and forth between the two. If I were in the market for e-tron GT or Taycan sedan, I would have gone with the e-tron GT, 100%. I chose the Taycan for the practicality offered by the Cross Turismo and the value offered the CT4 configuration in particular.

The CT4 I ordered, supposedly starting into production tomorrow ?, came in at the same price (less performance, but good looking wheels ?). Regrets? I have a few, but IMO you can't go wrong with either car. Great to have choices and the RS e-tron GT is a phenomenal car.
Thank you. Why would you prefer the the Audi over the Taycan.

Until I drove my first Porsche I was always an Audi geek. I still think the A7 is one of the most beautiful cars on the road. I have seen a couple e-tron GTs on the road now. To me it’s one of the worst looking Audis. The front is not bad at all, the back is horrendous and the side view is the worst in the company. Keep in mind this is my personal opinion/taste.
Its a design you either love or hate. Its very over the top, cartoon like, which appeals to me. I confuse the 911 for a Taycan which is a good thing

jvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ice Grey CT4
Country flag
Thank you. Why would you prefer the the Audi over the Taycan.
e-tron more of a grand tourer, which is what I want. Steering not as sharp, but fine. My feeling is that the e-tron would be more comfortable on a long road trip. Says the guy who couldn't say no to the 21" Cross Turismo wheels. :rolleyes:

I like the styling of the e-tron more (especially now that the contrasting grille is available with black optic). The e-tron GT is maybe a little busy in the detail and the Taycan is conversely a bit plain. I'm not crazy about the Taycan front end being so low.

To me, value is a huge factor. The equipment spec of the e-tron GT optioned to $120k is leagues better than the 4S with which it competes. I'm also more comfortable with the Audi brand positioning; Porsche is a bit too "precious" for me.

One negative with the e-tron GT I forgot to mention (and a unique issue for me); the interior just isn't different enough from my current e-tron Edition One. IMO, they should have gone further with a flagship electric vehicle. I was a bit disappointed. Taycan will be something fresh.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
I was planning to get the EQS when the concept was revealed, but then the production version was released.

It's a boat when it comes to handling, performance is quick enough for a luxury car.
The perfect scenario would have been a Mission R and a fully specced EQS 580.
Maybe the EQS 53 AMG would be better for you with it's sportier handling?
Quick update, I test drove the EQS this past weekend. It really is an impressive car, but you are correct, even in sport mode the power and handling is not exactly what I'm looking for. It wasn't horrible handling by the way, especially given the size of the EQS (I think the rear wheel steering helps to hide that). I was not allowed to do very spirited driving, but did enough to tell that I would definitely want to wait for the AMG version (they say it's coming next year, by which time I should have my Taycan CT, but the way things are going who knows, there was 3 EQS 580 allocations I found this weekend at just the closest dealer, while I'm on wait lists for a CT Turbo allocation at a multiple dealers since July). Oh, there was one big flaw (maybe not for everyone, but definitely for me) - the EQS only has a charge port on the rear passenger side, which doesn't work well for me at home (both vehicles pulling in close to garage wall on the passenger side, maximizing room between them). Generally you'd think people would prefer the home charging port to be on the driver's side, since there will always be room for driver to get out of the car, and even if there is room all around, the driver probably doesn't want to walk all around the car every time to plug the car in at home. Tesla got it right, Audi/Porsche perfected it one step further by having home charging on driver's side and home or DC charging on passenger side.

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
Quick update, I test drove the EQS this past weekend. It really is an impressive car, but you are correct, even in sport mode the power and handling is not exactly what I'm looking for. It wasn't horrible handling by the way, especially given the size of the EQS (I think the rear wheel steering helps to hide that). I was not allowed to do very spirited driving, but did enough to tell that I would definitely want to wait for the AMG version (they say it's coming next year, by which time I should have my Taycan CT, but the way things are going who knows, there was 3 EQS 580 allocations I found this weekend at just the closest dealer, while I'm on wait lists for a CT Turbo allocation at a multiple dealers since July). Oh, there was one big flaw (maybe not for everyone, but definitely for me) - the EQS only has a charge port on the rear passenger side, which doesn't work well for me at home (both vehicles pulling in close to garage wall on the passenger side, maximizing room between them). Generally you'd think people would prefer the home charging port to be on the driver's side, since there will always be room for driver to get out of the car, and even if there is room all around, the driver probably doesn't want to walk all around the car every time to plug the car in at home. Tesla got it right, Audi/Porsche perfected it one step further by having home charging on driver's side and home or DC charging on passenger side.
Thanks for sharing your experience driving the EQS.

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I personally think the Audi is better looking than the Taycan. It should be a real good car.

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I drove the EQS also. I want to wait for the AMG versions also. RANGE is much better with the EQS than the Taycan. Aside from the fact the EQS is butt ugly (Outside) the interior and screens (features) are far superior to Taycan...IMO

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
I drove the EQS also. I want to wait for the AMG versions also. RANGE is much better with the EQS than the Taycan. Aside from the fact the EQS is butt ugly (Outside) the interior and screens (features) are far superior to Taycan...IMO
Interesting

OP
OP
Mr.Smith

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
MB dropped the ball on the exterior of the EQS from the concept. Anyone that I showed the concept drooled over it. My girlfriend saw it in person and asked what kind of Kia that was.

EQS has more batteries 107kwh vs Taycan 93kwh which adds weight/range. The EQS hyperscreen is impressive, but for me it was overkill. MB made the screen to dazzle more than functionality IMO. At least the rest of the interior is beautiful and high quality.

I would rather focus my eyes on interior details, leather, stitching, craftsmanship, CF, instead of the screen

On a side note, the 2 days I was observing all the deposit holders/test drivers for the EQS, they all seemed to be in their 80s and current MB drivers.

Also these German OEMs are not trying to displace any customers to switch over to their EVs. It seems they just want to switch their current clients to a BEV version. The only one that accomplished crossover success has been the Taycan because Porsche has made something different that appeals to any driver
Sponsored

Last edited: