Depreciation

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list. Includes a MY23 Taycan RWD
Country flag
The trick Porsche uses is to totally customise the car.

With the prices plunging, I've been checking the used market here in Europe. I could get a nice second hand 4S cheaper than my RWD that's being built but they always miss one or the other option I chose for my own car. It kinda breaks the desire of getting the "not so perfect" dream car.

Porsche was really smart.
Sponsored

lighteningturbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, 992 TTS, Cayenne Coupe S (on order)
Country flag
Purchased a 2022 Turbo in May 2022. In March of 2023 it was totaled by someone running a red light (everyone was safe). Insurance gave me exactly what we paid for the car 10 months later. Insurance said they called a few dealerships to get an accurate market evaluation for what it was worth.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Purchased a 2022 Turbo in May 2022. In March of 2023 it was totaled by someone running a red light (everyone was safe). Insurance gave me exactly what we paid for the car 10 months later. Insurance said they called a few dealerships to get an accurate market evaluation for what it was worth.
:CWL: The called dealerships….

Count your blessings. A used 22 Turbo can be had for way below sticker.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
There still isn't a Taycan for sale used that I have seen in the UK that I would buy, they haven't depreciated enough for me to buy one I don't care for the specification of.
Most have black interior and privacy glass, they would need to be less than half price for me to consider them ;).

Noobified

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
EV's are like computers. As technology advances, the older cars become obsolete. They also won't retain the nostalgic value that other PCars have. Expect Taycans to depreciate the most. No one's going to pay a premium down the road for a car that goes less than 300 miles on a single charge when 500 miles becomes the norm, not to mention improved charging speeds, among other things.

Last edited:

Weezer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i4 M50
Country flag
There still isn't a Taycan for sale used that I have seen in the UK that I would buy, they haven't depreciated enough for me to buy one I don't care for the specification of.
Most have black interior and privacy glass, they would need to be less than half price for me to consider them ;).
I think you will struggle to find many without privacy glass. What kind of price are you considering? I think there are a couple of really good cars on the market, but you still need to spend north of £100K to get one with low mileage and good, useful options, like surround view and rear wheel steering. (My searches are limited to 4S and GTS.)

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
I think you will struggle to find many without privacy glass. What kind of price are you considering? I think there are a couple of really good cars on the market, but you still need to spend north of £100K to get one with low mileage and good, useful options, like surround view and rear wheel steering. (My searches are limited to 4S and GTS.)
I am not actually intending to buy, I have what I want, I just have too much time on my hands!

I absolutely loath and detest privacy glass and thankfully it is optional on a Taycan so I got mine without.
I have rejected any new car with it, ruling out almost every make of car which nearly always force you to take it.

I am bored with black interiors rather than disliking them, they were all the rage in 1968, and just think it is sensible to buy an EV with a pale interior to take a bit of the load off the A/C.

I also much prefer the sculpted ally roof to glass - try finding one without glass too!

The point is that even with loads of options available I was agreeing with an earlier poster that finding a used one which doesn’t have an option you don’t like, or missing one you really want, isn’t easy.

Of the 300+ Taycans on “PistonHeads.com” none appeal to me fully.

Weezer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i4 M50
Country flag
I am not actually intending to buy, I have what I want, I just have too much time on my hands!

I absolutely loath and detest privacy glass and thankfully it is optional on a Taycan so I got mine without.
I have rejected any new car with it, ruling out almost every make of car which nearly always force you to take it.

I am bored with black interiors rather than disliking them, they were all the rage in 1968, and just think it is sensible to buy an EV with a pale interior to take a bit of the load off the A/C.

I also much prefer the sculpted ally roof to glass - try finding one without glass too!

The point is that even with loads of options available I was agreeing with an earlier poster that finding a used one which doesn’t have an option you don’t like, or missing one you really want, isn’t easy.

Of the 300+ Taycans on “PistonHeads.com” none appeal to me fully.
Oh, yeah, I agree. On the Porsche Finder (and Autotrader), there's really only one car I would genuinely consider; a GTS for £118,000, which has pretty much every option I want. Shame the dealership is a three-hour drive away...

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
EV's are like computers. As technology advances, the older cars become obsolete. They also won't retain the nostalgic value that other PCars have. Expect Taycans to depreciate the most. No one's going to pay a premium down the road for a car that goes less than 300 miles on a single charge when 500 miles becomes the norm, not to mentum improved charging speeds, among other things.
In 15 years I plan to replace the batteries with a petrol engine to help with resale value. No worries here 🤪

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Again, no disagreement. Your initial statement was that all 911s depreciated before the pandemic. My retort was to say air cooled ones were already on the rise before then - to the point where 993s, for instance, attained prices higher than new by the time they turned 20. Heck, I got into (water cooled) 911s precisely because they depreciated like rocks.
I think the argument was that looking at some subset of Porsches is irrelevant when trying to predict depreciations for another Porsche model (like the Taycan). We cannot look at collector/nostalgia cars and conclude anything about the brand depreciation, or else we'd be hailing Ford as the king of mass produced vehicles holding its value - the Model T today will run you $10K-$60K. When new, they were $260-$850. As much as negative 60,000% depreciation! Should Mach-e buyers expect this kind of value appreciation? ;)

So whether or not some 911's became classics/collector cars, and therefore appreciated, generally cars are are not an investment, especially if you buy them to drive them, like you or me. The fact that some used Taycans sold above MSRP during the pandemic is also no indicator of a long term trend either (though there are some people on this forum who assumed that will continue to be the case, and assumed that they will get paid to upgrade to a new Taycan every couple of years). I have no delusions that my Taycan has already depreciated (after ~2 months of ownership), but that is irrelevant to me as I don't plan to sell it any time soon.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Oh, yeah, I agree. On the Porsche Finder (and Autotrader), there's really only one car I would genuinely consider; a GTS for £118,000, which has pretty much every option I want. Shame the dealership is a three-hour drive away...
Three hours, that's nothing, a weekend day trip - you might even be able to do that on a single battery charge in good weather. I drove 89hrs to pickup mine from the dealer. ;)

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list. Includes a MY23 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Three hours, that's nothing, a weekend day trip - you might even be able to do that on a single battery charge in good weather. I drove 89hrs to pickup mine from the dealer. ;)
Speaking of, a bit off topic. Have you needed something done in the meanwhile? When you will, will you go to the local dealership? I'm kind of in the same boat. Local dealer didn't want to sell me a car (I'm still waiting for a test drive 4 months after initial contact) and ordered the car 440km away at another dealership. Not feasible to go there for every minor thing (albeit I might consider the 2 year checkup if the price is very different)

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
Speaking of, a bit off topic. Have you needed something done in the meanwhile? When you will, will you go to the local dealership? I'm kind of in the same boat. Local dealer didn't want to sell me a car (I'm still waiting for a test drive 4 months after initial contact) and ordered the car 440km away at another dealership. Not feasible to go there for every minor thing (albeit I might consider the 2 year checkup if the price is very different)
Local Porsche dealers here in the US gladly service vehicles bought elsewhere.

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
HI all,

I know the used car market has gone down a lot lately, but I have been looking around at used Taycans and are seeing 2020-2021 Turbo S pop up in the 120-135K range.

That seems like a huge depreciation, especially for a Porsche, which I have read are among of the best at holding their value. Just wanted to get some feedback on if you guys think it would slow down on some of these Turbo S cars or just continue this rapid depreciation.

For reference, this is the car I was looking at: 2020 Certified Turbo S
this is normal for the panamera and cayenne and other product lines. It’s really just some of the most special sports cars that play by different rules. Even the high end 911 TTS has historically taken a big hit, at least before 2020. Basically, panamera < 911 < GT < limited editions

most of this is driven by supply & demand. The last few years have been really anomalous

porsche’s DO generally hold their value better than comparable cars. But cars depreciate with miles and years.
Sponsored