Depreciation

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
For example, Amazon spent $15B last year alone on capex, instead of $6B over 7 years for EV like Porsche. The legacy auto makers aren’t all in, and most of them aren’t even trying. You’re looking at EV tech at a time when the world really isn’t serious about it, as measured by the only true currency of capitalism.
Sponsored

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Consider by 2025:
There will be a hybrid 911, a Tesla roadster, a new model S, a second generation taycan, an EV Macan, and possibly an EV cayman. And that’s just what we know about from 2 companies.

a ton of folks are excited about the taycan because it’s the only decent alternative to Tesla. That’s not going to stay true.

domin1720

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 macan gts
Country flag
For example, Amazon spent $15B last year alone on capex, instead of $6B over 7 years for EV like Porsche. The legacy auto makers aren’t all in, and most of them aren’t even trying. You’re looking at EV tech at a time when the world really isn’t serious about it, as measured by the only true currency of capitalism.
Didn't VW last year spend more money on batteries than Teslas entire net worth ( back then value, not now ). VW is a monster so I do think that means a significant shift in strategic operations of what they see in the future

Cpoarchy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 911, taycan 4s
Country flag
Taycan numbering, delivery position and depreciation
The new dealership taycans, are they considered preproduction? For example the person that will get the 1st taycan s preordered versus the one just bought from a dealer recently, which one is the number one?

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Didn't VW last year spend more money on batteries than Teslas entire net worth ( back then value, not now ). VW is a monster so I do think that means a significant shift in strategic operations of what they see in the future
No. The PR releases need some careful reading. That money wasn’t a year’s investment nor has it even actually been spent. VW has contracted to buy $48B in batteries over some 6 or so years. This is also something of an apples to oranges comparison as I don’t see a good call out of Tesla’s battery purchases. They are quoted at over 40% of the car’s manufacturing cost. I’d wildly guess between 1-2B per quarter.

But that is the start of a real strategic shift for VW and you can see how unusual it is for the legacy automakers.
Sponsored