Depreciation, I lost money, I’m crying

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
I remember reading somewhere that Taycans are a loss leader for Porsche.
😂 “loss leader” as in “only 20% margin”, maybe?

Tbf, I’m sure the R&D for the “platform” (drivetrain, for whatever that includes in a BEV) is in the billions, before counting in the new factory. But that was distributed across their Le Mans project, the Formula E effort, the Taycan, Macan EV etc. so it does depend on how they distribute that across model sales.

Looking at sheer numbers, the Taycan appears to be relatively cheaply built, and sold on a large scale (150k units/4ish years), so I am sure it more than paid for its parts.
Sponsored

Caraholic

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F430, Cayman S, JKU
Country flag
Got a call from my SA today. Porsche launched a $22,500.00 incentive on Taycans. And his dealership is adding $25,000.00 discounts on top. That’s $47,500.00 of the window sticker of a brand new / never titled Taycan.
What model is that on? Could actually turn into a decent lease.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
The depreciation has been disproportionately high on the Taycan vs any other Porsche.
Do you have any statistical data on that? Anecdotally, in decades of owning many cars, the highest percentage depreciation I ever experienced was a 911 C4 which I sold after 2 years. The lowest was a base Honda Civic hatchback, which I also sold after 2 years.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Got a call from my SA today. Porsche launched a $22,500.00 incentive on Taycans. And his dealership is adding $25,000.00 discounts on top. That’s $47,500.00 of the window sticker of a brand new / never titled Taycan.
On what MSRP, model year, and how long has it been sitting on the lot? I'm sure it's not a 2024 RWD Taycan selling for $40K.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Bad use of statistics. "Average Used EV price" per brand for a brand that's only been selling cars for about a decade is not a good indicator. Tesla only had expensive Model S at first, then even mode expensive Model X, then 3 and Y came so of course even the average price of a new Tesla went down significantly. This reminds of the articles on Yahoo Finance about how Taycans (and other Porsches) are selling many thousands above MSRP today, because they compared selling prices vs. base (no options) MSRP - a technique which may work well with some cars which don't have many options.

MAPC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S, 2023.5 Defender, 2019 X1
Country flag
Bad use of statistics. "Average Used EV price" per brand for a brand that's only been selling cars for about a decade is not a good indicator. Tesla only had expensive Model S at first, then even mode expensive Model X, then 3 and Y came so of course even the average price of a new Tesla went down significantly. This reminds of the articles on Yahoo Finance about how Taycans (and other Porsches) are selling many thousands above MSRP today, because they compared selling prices vs. base (no options) MSRP - a technique which may work well with some cars which don't have many options.
I agree that it is definitely not perfect science--but I found it interesting nonetheless.

enzohu

First Name
Karan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag

who is your SA chuck, would you be willing share his contact

wilho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Boxster 986, X5, iX1
Country flag
is this for 2024 models before the facelift? We in EU are not getting this much :)
Sponsored