Detailing when car is PPF? What services to request?

SteveDC

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 308QV
Country flag
This post is a question, not an answer. I will have my MY21 treated with PPF film. Eventually, a bath will be required. I know that a selling point of a PPF coating is that you avoid swirl marks if the car is taken through a carwash. Since the large brushes used in those car washes must contain grit or larger abrasive pieces, I am not so sanguine about use of those services. In addition, I am concerned that the machinery will snag an edge on the film and pull it loose. Granting all this, one still has to decide what to ask car detailers to do for a PPF coated car. For example, clay is used to remove fine grit from a regular paint surface. Is clay appropriate for PPF? I’m thinking all I would require is a gentle wash and drying. I live in the city and don’t have access to my own garage. Your suggestions, thoughts and experiences are most welcome and might help others in my position as well. Steve
Sponsored

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
This post is a question, not an answer. I will have my MY21 treated with PPF film. Eventually, a bath will be required. I know that a selling point of a PPF coating is that you avoid swirl marks if the car is taken through a carwash. Since the large brushes used in those car washes must contain grit or larger abrasive pieces, I am not so sanguine about use of those services. In addition, I am concerned that the machinery will snag an edge on the film and pull it loose. Granting all this, one still has to decide what to ask car detailers to do for a PPF coated car. For example, clay is used to remove fine grit from a regular paint surface. Is clay appropriate for PPF? I’m thinking all I would require is a gentle wash and drying. I live in the city and don’t have access to my own garage. Your suggestions, thoughts and experiences are most welcome and might help others in my position as well. Steve
I told my PPF guy I would be taking my car to the carwash and he said 'Great!'. Now, we have the best carwash in the world here in Cincinnati, and he knew I would be taking it there, so this may not apply elsewhere...:cool:

faroutinNM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Taycan Turbo, '05 MINI Cooper S
Country flag
Product Review & How-To Guide: Wolfgang Uber Rinseless Wash | Ask a Pro Blog

I've done this rinseless wash twice in my garage, and really loved what it did with my fully PPFed Turbo. Took 20 minutes total each time.

Result: shines like optical glass, with a silky feel under the hand.

If muddy (which happens once or twice annually here), I would give it a quick soap spray and rinsing in a commercial self-wash bay before doing the rinseless procedure at home.
Sponsored

Last edited: