PPF : Front or Whole Car?

TaycanCook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MG 4S CT
Country flag
I wonder if the calibration really needs to be done if they pull the 12v battery first.
Sponsored

OP
OP
AddAlfa

AddAlfa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan GTS Sport Turismo
Country flag
Personally I would not remove any parts or badges.

Elroy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, VW Golf GTI Mk8, Ford Raptor 6.2L
Country flag
I chose to order my Cherry Metallic with PPF on the front only($2,760) Thought that would cover most of the potential damage.

Jayyvr890

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Doing full car now and realize that in order to have no front door seam above the Mirror you have to pull the mirror off and I’m told that I’ll have to have the side camera recalibrated? It’s only a few hundred$ but a pita to make a service appointment. Has anyone else had this happen/occur. Also shop is saying the back badging may need to be repurchased. I though it was just 3m tape but maybe not.
The cut is barely an inch and not visible with the mirrors deployed. It's absolutely not worth the effort to remove trim for PPF just to avoid a cut IMO. A good installer can roll most edges so it's not visible.

Porsche Taycan PPF : Front or Whole Car? PXL_20220329_022501348

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS E-Tron GT, VW ID.4 Pro
Country flag
The cut is barely an inch and not visible with the mirrors deployed. It's absolutely not worth the effort to remove trim for PPF just to avoid a cut IMO. A good installer can roll most edges so it's not visible.

PXL_20220329_022501348.jpg
Another reason this is a better method is there is no need to remove the interior door panels.
I like to keep removing parts to a minimum.

On the E-Tron GT the calibration after the mirror removal was almost $1000

HypeR

First Name
emre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan 4s performance plus
Country flag
my car has ppf completely, i highly recommend it.

MTGBUK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi SQ7, Turbo S CT (Received :)
Country flag
Doing full car now and realize that in order to have no front door seam above the Mirror you have to pull the mirror off and I’m told that I’ll have to have the side camera recalibrated? It’s only a few hundred$ but a pita to make a service appointment. Has anyone else had this happen/occur. Also shop is saying the back badging may need to be repurchased. I though it was just 3m tape but maybe not.
Most shops will recommend new rear badges as it comes off during install. It is possible to reuse but the adhesive on the badge won't be as good as before and more likely to fall off than a fresh badge with fresh adhesive. Keep an eye out for wrapped cars with part or whole badges missing and you'll know the reason why.

RCorsa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TTS, F8, Urus S , Raptor R, X5, Tesla M3P
Country flag
Yeah I talked to the shop and I’m not going to pull the mirrors off. I looked at the same gap on my 911 tts and my eye will never look behind the mirror. Also I figured if the film gets dinged or scratched I’d have to start all over. With regard to the badging the shop should be able to reapply new 3m foam tape the the lettering. That’s what the OEM uses.

Jayyvr890

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Yeah I talked to the shop and I’m not going to pull the mirrors off. I looked at the same gap on my 911 tts and my eye will never look behind the mirror. Also I figured if the film gets dinged or scratched I’d have to start all over. With regard to the badging the shop should be able to reapply new 3m foam tape the the lettering. That’s what the OEM uses.
Badges don't even need to be removed tbh, a good installer can cut around the badge with minimal gap. For me, the Taycan is a daily driver and PPF is entirely functional, I don't need it to be 100% perfect and seamless everywhere.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Installer was able to heat the Xpel to install around the the mirrors on the RS. No seam.
Porsche Taycan PPF : Front or Whole Car? RS PPF

OP
OP
AddAlfa

AddAlfa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan GTS Sport Turismo
Country flag
Looks awesome. Porsche in Walnut Creek quoting $6,000 for full PPF. Would you use them? They are XPEL certified and claim they do high end cars for other dealerships.

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS E-Tron GT, VW ID.4 Pro
Country flag
Looks awesome. Porsche in Walnut Creek quoting $6,000 for full PPF. Would you use them? They are XPEL certified and claim they do high end cars for other dealerships.
As a rule of thumb I personally do not use anything aftermarket from a dealer.
The dealerships outsource, then mark up the services.
$6000 is reasonable for California so how much are they paying the installer?
Dealerships are never the cheapest for anything aftermarket.

There are usually a handful of PPF installers that freelance in a region that shops outsource to. This applies to window tint as well.
I was shocked to how many PPF shops do this. Not all, but many, but there is a high probability the dealership is doing this.

ithinkmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'17 3, '22 4S CT, '22 MXP
Country flag
If the $6k is for custom wrap, then that's a great deal. I don't like pre-cut templates because no matter how good, you'll see the cutline, they'll get close to the edges, but still there.

Custom cuts have no cut lines, all wrapped around the panel, and cut at the exact edge for areas that can't be wrap around edges.

I went with Stek because it's hydrophobic and I don't have to apply ceramic coating on top, with xpel, you might have to add cost of ceramic coating.

do they also wrap you headlights and the front/rear diffusor for that price?

Most of the custom cut shops in the bay area are like $8k and above (for the good ones I've researched).

-ThinkMac-

timc3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT Turbo, BMW 330e
Country flag
As a rule of thumb I personally do not use anything aftermarket from a dealer.
The dealerships outsource, then mark up the services.
$6000 is reasonable for California so how much are they paying the installer?
Dealerships are never the cheapest for anything aftermarket.

There are usually a handful of PPF installers that freelance in a region that shops outsource to. This applies to window tint as well.
I was shocked to how many PPF shops do this. Not all, but many, but there is a high probability the dealership is doing this.
I am going to get full PPF (XPEL) done on my CT, and the dealer is going to sort it out otherwise they deliver it to me, then I take it to the place and even if I go straight there it's a (real on Swedish roads covered in grit) risk that it will get scratched. This way they transport it to and from the dealer.
Sponsored