PPF : Front or Whole Car?

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
If the $6k is for custom wrap, then that's a great deal. I don't like pre-cut templates because no matter how good, you'll see the cutline, they'll get close to the edges, but still there.

Custom cuts have no cut lines, all wrapped around the panel, and cut at the exact edge for areas that can't be wrap around edges.

I went with Stek because it's hydrophobic and I don't have to apply ceramic coating on top, with xpel, you might have to add cost of ceramic coating.
My cars are custom wrapped and yes 6K is a fair price for bulk, no template, install. Be careful I had bad luck with STEK so went back to Xpel with the Taycan.
Sponsored

Crazycanuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, 911, Cayenne Turbo SE, McLaren GT
Country flag
Dark cars I'd highly recommend going full PPF. Looking at ~6-7K for full usually. 2500ish for full front, rockers, and door edges.

Here's what I paid for all my cars:

BMW M340i - full front. grey. xpel. $1900
Volvo XC90 - full front. grey. xpel. $1300 (haggled real good)
AM DB11 - full front. grey. xpel. $2,395
911 - full front, rear fenders. grey. xpel. $2,495
Taycan - full front. ice grey. stek. $2,100.
Cayenne - full front. dolomite silver. stek. $2,200.
McLaren GT - full. viridian green. xpel. $7,000.

These were from the last 3-4 years so pricing hasn't fluctuated too much. Latest one was McLaren GT in Feb. As others have mentioned, cleaning is a breeze if you opt for full. I use Chemical Guy's clear bra cleaning and do quick wipe downs very easily without worrying about swirls on paint.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
These were from the last 3-4 years so pricing hasn't fluctuated too much. Latest one was McLaren GT in Feb. As others have mentioned, cleaning is a breeze if you opt for full. I use Chemical Guy's clear bra cleaning and do quick wipe downs very easily without worrying about swirls on paint.
Exactly. Zero issues with "love" marks as Larry Kosilla calls them. Spray detailer and wipe without causing swirls.

Crazycanuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, 911, Cayenne Turbo SE, McLaren GT
Country flag
My cars are custom wrapped and yes 6K is a fair price for bulk, no template, install. Be careful I had bad luck with STEK so went back to Xpel with the Taycan.
Agree with XPEL > STEK. STEK peels much easier. Although the ceramic built in is nice. Water beads right off. XPEL does have a thicker feel even though I got 8mm for both.

OP
OP
AddAlfa

AddAlfa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan GTS Sport Turismo
Country flag
As a rule of thumb I personally do not use anything aftermarket from a dealer.
The dealerships outsource, then mark up the services.
$6000 is reasonable for California so how much are they paying the installer?
Dealerships are never the cheapest for anything aftermarket.

There are usually a handful of PPF installers that freelance in a region that shops outsource to. This applies to window tint as well.
I was shocked to how many PPF shops do this. Not all, but many, but there is a high probability the dealership is doing this.
According to Porsche Walnut Creek they do not outsource the PPF work. They have a plotter machine and do it on site.

raharris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC AT4X, Macan S, Taycan Turbo, Cayenne Turbo GT
Country flag
Oh man black is one color (even metallic) I would consider doing the whole car. Porsche paint is pretty soft the clearcoat shows swirls etc. It will cost you about 2x to do the whole car opposed to the front alone but you’ll never have to worry about it again.
I have a jet black metallic Macan S - I regret not doing the full car already….

raharris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC AT4X, Macan S, Taycan Turbo, Cayenne Turbo GT
Country flag
I wonder if the calibration really needs to be done if they pull the 12v battery first.
Supposedly they pulled the battery on mine; but I still need to calibrate :(

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I did my own XPEL at home for about $200. It came out ok although few wrinkles are sort of noticeable.

8D2111D5-018C-4419-9679-6AFB2851FBCD.jpeg
See, I told you that you could tell the panels with PPF from those without! Nobody ever believes me…

ithinkmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'17 3, '22 4S CT, '22 MXP
Country flag
What happened with Stek? Anything I should be worried about?

-ThinkMac-