Difference between the driving modes in Taycan (Range, Normal, Sport and Sport Plus)

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Thx - worst case of man flu I've ever experienced.

No I have a MY21 and waiting on a MY23 so still have the display - not entirely sure / convinced (why?) its been removed though. Will ask the dealer next week when getting the latest safety recall patch applied.
So I can confirm that Range mode is front motor (still) and when on the level and brakes are applied drive then swings to the rear (40mph).
Sponsored

Reactions: B61

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
So I can confirm that Range mode is front motor (still) and when on the level and brakes are applied drive then swings to the rear (40mph).
I’ve been watching the same…it’s interesting why it swings to rear when breaking…or when accelerating…. @f1eng maybe knows why?

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
My point came from an article I read about the new range mode for 2022 cars which seems to be better.
Given the torque distribution display has been deleted from the new models it still isn't possible to verify. It did seem unlikely to me but there we are.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I’ve been watching the same…it’s interesting why it swings to rear when breaking…or when accelerating…. @f1eng maybe knows why?
Braking is regenerative so ideally the back torque will be distributed appropriately by the brake-by-wire system to keep the brake balance ideal front and rear.

I have never felt 4 wheel drive was worth its weight for my use with an IC engined car but for an EV I personally wouldn't consider 2 wheel drive because of the nightmare of optimising brake balance with discs at one end and motor back-torque at the other, not really possible to get perfect.

It is one of the most irritating aspects of perpetuating the 2 wheel drive only rule in Formula 1 whilst allowing maximal regenerative braking in the hybrid system. :mad:

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
My point came from an article I read about the new range mode for 2022 cars which seems to be better.
Given the torque distribution display has been deleted from the new models it still isn't possible to verify. It did seem unlikely to me but there we are.
I think though that all cars got the latest software updates WMA5/6/7+ impacting / tweaking range etc.

Are you 100% certain the display has been removed permanently and not just some glitch?

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think though that all cars got the latest software updates WMA5/6/7+ impacting / tweaking range etc.

Are you 100% certain the display has been removed permanently and not just some glitch?
I am not sure of anything but plenty of mentions it has gone and no reports that it is due to a glitch.
I am disappointed because I found that particular display the most interesting of them all :(
When are they due to build 2023 models? Maybe it will come back.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I am not sure of anything but plenty of mentions it has gone and no reports that it is due to a glitch.
I am disappointed because I found that particular display the most interesting of them all :(
When are they due to build 2023 models? Maybe it will come back.
Late July early August for October delivery but given the Ukraine situation that could be up in the air

OP
OP
AnloTaycan2022

AnloTaycan2022

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Cross Turismo 4S
Country flag
from https://jalopnik.com/an-extremely-detailed-look-at-the-porsche-taycans-engin-1837802533

Shifting That Two-Speed Transmission

What’s most interesting about all of this is how Porsche sets up the shifts in the rear two-speed transmission. To demonstrate the advantage of the two speed, Porsche showed curves of wheel torque (which is directly related to vehicle acceleration) versus vehicle speed for each motor/gear ratio combination—see below. (These look like typical EV torque curves).

As shown, at about 100 km/h, or 62 mph, first gear runs out of steam, and the motor isn’t able to send much torque to the rear wheels (and at 81 mph, the motor hits its 16,000 RPM max speed), which hurts vehicle acceleration.

It’s at the point around 62 mph vehicle speed that the Taycan upshifts, yielding the solid green curve you see below, allowing for more torque at the wheels, and thus more acceleration to a higher top speed.
1647066964547.png

The shift strategy changes based on the drive mode, which hold gears differently. Range and Normal mode, Porsche told us, prioritize second gear to optimize efficiency. It is worth noting that, in some cases, the Taycan can actually run completely in front-wheel drive and decouple the rear transmission to reduce losses.

Though Porsche considered it, the front transmission has no clutch to allow for decoupling, so the motor is always mechanically connected to the wheels. This, if I understood it correctly, was done for packaging and reasons related to vehicle control, and with the understanding that the small motor and planetary gearbox don’t yield too high losses.

Back to the modes: Porsche says “Range” only goes into first for reversing functions (this is due to mechanical constraints, as I understand it) and “Normal” downshifts during heavy pedal inputs. “Sport” mode, on the other hand, holds first gear as long as possible to maximize acceleration. Porsche even provided some shift maps below:
1647067017422.png

The map here doesn’t look that different from that of a traditional transmission, with the blue and purple lines representing when the vehicle would upshift or downshift, respectively. If I’m reading this right, looking at the “Range” plot, you can see that at only low vehicle speeds and extremely high torque requests (in other words, the driver is deep on the throttle while traveling slowly), you’ll cross the purple line and downshift to first.

Then, even if you keep your pedal buried, the car will shift to second around 75 km/h. Otherwise, in “range” mode, you’ll be in second always. (In the slide above, Porsche says “Range” stays exclusively in second gear, so perhaps I’m misreading the shift map. (Update: Porsche confirmed that even “Range” mode will downshift to first).

The “Sport” map shows that even at low vehicle speeds and low torque requests (your foot is barely on the pedal), you’re in first gear, and you won’t upshift until you hit roughly 75 km/h. This shifting, in case you’re wondering, happens roughly as quickly as a dual-clutch transmission shift.

“We are not faster [than a dual clutch],” Richter said, “because we have a large ratio spread between first and second gear,” and therefore transmission needs time to synchronize. Still, the good news is that, according to him, there’s “no traction interruption during shifting.”
Wow. Exactly what I was looking for. Very useful. What about Sport Plus then ?

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
One other difference which may not be obvious. I mentioned this in the quick summary post earlier in this thread that the high voltage management changes based on driving mode, but perhaps it's worth elaborating on. Driving mode will affect your range (to a different degree depending on how you drive it and outside temperature + wind) because the battery is kept warmer in cold weather and cooler in hot weather. Here is what the numbers looked like for 2020 Taycans, they may have been tweaked since of course (since it is software defined).

Porsche Taycan Difference between the driving modes in Taycan (Range, Normal, Sport and Sport Plus) 1647259391467

So for example, if you drive the car the same calm way in Range vs. Sport+ in 34F weather, in Sport+ the battery heater will be using energy while in Range mode it will not. Of course if you are driving the car hard and the internal battery resistance keeps the battery warm between 70F-89F without any heating, then there will be no range difference between Range and Sport+.

Last edited:

Pozuelo

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2018 E63S Estate, 2023 A45S
Country flag
I had not seen these charts before. They help explain why the change in range depending on drive mode. I believe it is more the battery heating or cooling than the actual consumption that is linked with the number on the guess-o-meter. It also explains why the trip average is so high during the first few minutes. Thank you.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
I had also not seen any graphs like that earlier.

They also explain the effect of using Sport Plus mode for battery preheating, if you navigate to a HPC which is not included in the Charging planner.

Very useful info, thank you.

hhf2

First Name
Heiko
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD PB
Country flag
Afaik, it’s FWD in Range mode…unless you press harder on a pedal.
just take a look on the screen, how AWD behaves/change between FWD and RWD/AWD.
The RWD is definitely not FWD in Range mode ?

• Haha
First Name
Alain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CrossTurismo Turbo
Country flag
One other difference which may not be obvious. I mentioned this in the quick summary post earlier in this thread that the high voltage management changes based on driving mode, but perhaps it's worth elaborating on. Driving mode will affect your range (to a different degree depending on how you drive it and outside temperature + wind) because the battery is kept warmer in cold weather and cooler in hot weather. Here is what the numbers looked like for 2020 Taycans, they may have been tweaked since of course (since it software defined).

1647259391467.png

So for example, if you drive the car the same calm way in Range vs. Sport+ in 34F weather, in Sport+ the battery heater will be using energy while in Range mode it will not. Of course if you are driving the car hard and the internal battery resistance keeps the battery warm between 70F-89F without any heating, then there will be no range difference between Range and Sport+.
Great information Whitex thanks. Any description of what the Operational level refer to specifically? I can see that the trigger temp raises with the Op Level but is there any other actions at each level? (I assume flap opens and pump/circulation starts, is there a variable flow pump on the circuit or just thermostat control?)

I do track the car and I am trying to optimize cooling at the limit which is an issue.

Cheers

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Great information Whitex thanks. Any description of what the Operational level refer to specifically? I can see that the trigger temp raises with the Op Level but is there any other actions at each level? (I assume flap opens and pump/circulation starts, is there a variable flow pump on the circuit or just thermostat control?)

I do track the car and I am trying to optimize cooling at the limit which is an issue.

Cheers
AFAIK operational level refers to the heating or cooling capacity rather than the temperature thresholds (the operational levels switch based on temperature thresholds as shown in the graphs). Higher operational mode can move more heat, by increasing the rate of flow of coolant, fan speeds, opening/closing vents, reconfiguring the components through which the coolant flows (bunch of multi-way valves allow creating different independent coolant loops between various component, pumps, heat exchangers, heaters, chillers, or radiators, rerouting the flows as needed). There may be other variables adjusted as well - welcome to software defined cars.
Sponsored

Last edited: