Do we need PTV - Porsche Torque Vectoring?

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Since this conversation has expanded to include the Performance Package, my question is does a Cross Turismo 4s really need Torque Vectoring and the Chassis Control Sport? My configuration locks next week, and I have been hemming and hawing over adding the full Performance Package. My initial thought is that my CT4s will be the ultimate road tripping machine, not a beast to take to the track, so why spend the extra money on items that I will never fully take advantage of? On the other hand, based on my current build configuration, it is only an extra $3,500 to add both the Torque Vectoring and Chassis Control.

On a Turbo S sedan meant for the occasional drive, but more for a slalom run, I would certainly spec, but for a CT4s that will be road tripping around the American west, do I really need it?

Thanks for helping thing through this.

Cheers
I don't think PDCC should even be on the radar unless people intend to track their Taycan regularly. PDCC is most beneficial on cars with a high center of mass to reduce body roll and/or for pure track times.

RWS is amazing all the time. PTV+ is just really nice to have. PDCC isn't worth the money, IMHO. Even if you get the benefit in street driving it gives a bit of an unnatural feel and detracts from the experience.
Sponsored

Tay Tay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Loving him is like driving a new Maserati down a dead-end street
Country flag

tutis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
I drive up and down snowy mountains in a CT4 without PTV and I’ve never had a better handling car on snow, and I’ve had cayenne, macan, 911, and I pace. The torque shifts seamlessly and seemingly continuously between front and rear axle without and disruption to the driving.
Difficult for me to compare with PTV but I wouldn’t think about spending the money on it given how formidable the car is on snow and how seemless the traction is.

Put it in sport and the car will allow for some yaw too. Spend the PTV money on the best winter tyres you can get

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag
I don't think PDCC should even be on the radar unless people intend to track their Taycan regularly. PDCC is most beneficial on cars with a high center of mass to reduce body roll and/or for pure track times.

RWS is amazing all the time. PTV+ is just really nice to have. PDCC isn't worth the money, IMHO. Even if you get the benefit in street driving it gives a bit of an unnatural feel and detracts from the experience.

Frank: thanks for the feedback. I have already spec'ed rear wheel steering, so got that one covered. If my CT4s is going to be a road trip cruiser and the occasional rip it up a mountain vehicle, then I can live without the Torque Vectoring and the additional sport chassis control.

I will save the $3k to $4k and maybe put it into the Burmeister.

Cheers

Lansford

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag

Colorado Kid -- may I ask why you would choose RWS over PTV+ (if you could only choose one?)

scav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo (2022)
Country flag
Threads and questions like these generally end up with two kind of responses, both sides justifying or rationalizing their decision.
For a daily driver you absolutely don’t need it, and for brakes? The regen brakes are crazy good already for anyone not tracking their car.

Domy69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s crossturismo, X5 M50d
Country flag
We have it on our Macan Turbo and I can tell a difference when driving a loaner Macan whenever ours is in the shop. Even driving through a parking lot it feels more crisp to me.
"At low and medium vehicle speeds, PTV significantly increases agility and steering precision. At high speeds and under acceleration out of corners, the mechanically controlled rear differential lock also acts to provide greater driving stability and traction."

I recommend PTV and added it to my build.
:whatsgoingon: "At low and medium vehicle speeds, PTV significantly increases agility and steering precision »

PTV+ is really increase agility on low speed? (Parking slot by exemple?)

I have picked up this option for my (occasionally) sport drive pleasure on little road and snow periods but if this can help on low speed also I will be the happinest :cool:

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
:whatsgoingon: "At low and medium vehicle speeds, PTV significantly increases agility and steering precision »

PTV+ is really increase agility on low speed? (Parking slot by exemple?)

I have picked up this option for my (occasionally) sport drive pleasure on little road and snow periods but if this can help on low speed also I will be the happinest :cool:
PTV does not aid parking RAS (Rear Axle Steering) does and Porsche does not offer RWS.

RAS is worth it as it includes Power Steering Plus and a benefit derived at any speed and Manoeuvre.

PTV+ is more useful than PDCC but non essential.