Does anyone else with full PPF have a seam like this?

awharton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS, Mercedes EQC400
Country flag
I haven't seen PPS at all but I'm puzzled by the claim about the level of protection. Xpel/PPF is difficult to apply mainly because it is quite thick. PPS looks like a very thin coat?
It offers a higher level of protection vs PPF which is typically between 100-250 microns.

ClarityCoat in this example:

“Sprayable Paint Protection is a revolutionary removable Solution – an alternative to PPF (Paint Protection Film). It provides superior stone chip protection and an incredible resistance to scratches from tree branches and keys.

It offers a minimum of 250 microns of protection on top of your paintwork. No edges, joints or seams are visible after application, leaving your car in pristine condition.

It offers more protection than PPF and can provide a more accurate colour match when compared to a vinyl wrap.”
Sponsored

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I have had several cars wrapped from a "bra" to a full PPF by several reputable film installers. In all cases there were seams visible in places but they should not be as visible as they are in the pic from Dave T. Generally you should see no more than a couple of mm of exposed paint. However, there are exceptions where the template has strain relief cut outs to get around tight curves.

This is NOT the case with colour change wraps which are a lot thinner and especially when body panels, light clusters, door cards etc.. are removed to do a thorough job.

Having watched PPF and normal vinyl wrap being installed. PPF is much, much more difficult.

I haven't seen PPS at all but I'm puzzled by the claim about the level of protection. Xpel/PPF is difficult to apply mainly because it is quite thick. PPS looks like a very thin coat?
I'll post pics of my car with a full Xpel wrap and ceramic, plus they will be wrapping some elements of the car (mirrors, roof) with high gloss black. My installer is incredibly rated (4.9+ stars with over 450 reviews!). He did say the Xpel is templated, and is quite a bit thicker and more difficult to cover quick bends such as on the mirrors, so we'll use a color wrap there instead.

Nhb

First Name
Nancy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I had my Taycan covered with full PPF and ceramic coating. It wasn't cheap, and I am generally very happy with the job done. But now that the car has accumulated some dust on it, I'm seeing a very noticeable seam on either side of the trunk. See the picture, I don't know the terminology to describe the spots:

1600618160834.png

Before I complain to the installer I want to know if others have had a superior job. Maybe there's some reason why it had to be done this way?
We were told by our installer that it happens with white cars no manner which film or installer you use. We just put on full ppf on our grey car and the seams are less visible.

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Audi E-tron
Country flag
I just had Xpel installed on the full front this week. Below are a couple of pictures. There are seams but they are very small, couple millimeters or less. There are larger seams on corners and complex geometry, but all of the straight sections are very precise. In your pictures it seems odd that there would be such a large seam along a straight section like the tail lights. At the end of the day there are going to be seams and if you look closely you'll see them. Up to you how much of a fight you want to put up.

Porsche Taycan Does anyone else with full PPF have a seam like this? IMG_3041

Porsche Taycan Does anyone else with full PPF have a seam like this? IMG_3043

Porsche Taycan Does anyone else with full PPF have a seam like this? IMG_3042

taycantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model X, 2020 Taycan 4S+
Country flag
Interesting - our Model X had a full XPEL PPF treatment and you cannot see seams like this, as the PPF wraps around the edges. My Taycan goes in tomorrow from the same shop... will have to see how they do on this car.

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
Appreciate the protection of PPF but seams and disassembly of panels and other body parts keep me away. Am having excellent paint correction to minimize orange peel and Modesta BC-04 silicon dioxide (glass) / titanium coating. Will live with a few rock chips that get through the coating. Our fourth car with glass coating (ceramic in marketing double-speak).

Kevin2dx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2018 McLaren 720S
Country flag
Interesting that the timing of this thread is happening right when my car is at the PPF shop as we speak!

I’ll be sure to check on these areas also. I have a Carrara White paint as well using Xpel Ultimate

Dlurker20

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Acura MDX, Mini Cooper
Country flag
Interesting that the timing of this thread is happening right when my car is at the PPF shop as we speak!

I’ll be sure to check on these areas also. I have a Carrara White paint as well using Xpel Ultimate
Funny, I’m thinking the same. Jet black for me!

DragonRR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Had a Taycan TTS, now have an Aston DBS, RR SVR, F-Type S, Ford Ranger Wildcat
Country flag
I just had Xpel installed on the full front this week. Below are a couple of pictures. There are seams but they are very small, couple millimeters or less. There are larger seams on corners and complex geometry, but all of the straight sections are very precise. In your pictures it seems odd that there would be such a large seam along a straight section like the tail lights. At the end of the day there are going to be seams and if you look closely you'll see them. Up to you how much of a fight you want to put up.

IMG_3041.jpeg

IMG_3043.jpeg

IMG_3042.jpeg
As mentioned in my post this kind of seam has always been my experience with every installer I've used. I don't really see how an acute angle corner can be wrapped with PPF but it would appear from other members that it is possible.

@awhawton 250 microns is pretty impressive. Do you have any recommended installers? I know Litchfield do the work although I've never used them.

TAYC4N

First Name
AM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS (PTS)
Country flag
Exactly why I went with PPS (Paint protection spray) rather than PPF. This is a terrible jobby.

TAYC4N

First Name
AM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS (PTS)
Country flag
As mentioned in my post this kind of seam has always been my experience with every installer I've used. I don't really see how an acute angle corner can be wrapped with PPF but it would appear from other members that it is possible.

@awhawton 250 microns is pretty impressive. Do you have any recommended installers? I know Litchfield do the work although I've never used them.
I already shared the details with you on DM - we both used Auto Forensics based in Addlestone. They gave us a special offer for forum members. Check your DM for the details I sent you last month.

DragonRR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Had a Taycan TTS, now have an Aston DBS, RR SVR, F-Type S, Ford Ranger Wildcat
Country flag
I already shared the details with you on DM - we both used Auto Forensics based in Addlestone. They gave us a special offer for forum members. Check your DM for the details I sent you last month.
Hmmm I don't think I have a DM from you? However thanks for the suggestion. I'm not after anything at the moment but always useful to have a list of reputable companies. :)

OP
OP

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I have Xpel Ultimate Stealth. No seems. It can be done but not cheap.

I have Xpel Ultimate Stealth. No seems. It can be done but not cheap.
Would you mind posting a picture of that spot on your car? I could use some ammo if I’m going to ask the detailer to fix it. My job wasn’t cheap either - $7500 for the Xpel alone, so if it can be done I will ask to fix.
Sponsored