Does anyone else with full PPF have a seam like this?

TIM

First Name
Philippe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes!
Country flag
I was quoted $6000 for full Xpel from my dealer. I am going to evaluate other installers as well.
I was quoted 8'700 CHF (9'400 $) for a full wrap including interior kit, I'm waiting for a quote from Germany
Sponsored

Mouse House

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
New Balance 1500 v6
Country flag
I was quoted 8'700 CHF (9'400 $) for a full wrap including interior kit, I'm waiting for a quote from Germany
Do I remember that you're in Lausanne? Was that quote from ID? I'm speaking with them at the moment about some PPF - I go up to Anniviers quite a bit and there are lots of rocks that fall onto the road.

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
Definitely not like that. I can hardly see any edges.

OP
OP

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I paid $7000 for full Xpel Ultimate Stealth. No seams. I love the satin look.
C29EC5B8-5F45-4106-A962-7F85BA2BD598.jpeg
0488DAB3-92BE-4E84-A834-070B60A27267.jpeg
I think I already asked you this, but if you could post a picture of that area under the rear taillights where I have my seam, I'd appreciate it!

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
I had my Taycan covered with full PPF and ceramic coating. It wasn't cheap, and I am generally very happy with the job done. But now that the car has accumulated some dust on it, I'm seeing a very noticeable seam on either side of the trunk. See the picture, I don't know the terminology to describe the spots:

1600618160834.png

Before I complain to the installer I want to know if others have had a superior job. Maybe there's some reason why it had to be done this way?
So this looks like a "plotter cut" film wrap, which means that it was pre-cut before applying, rather than as part of the application process. Some people prefer this approach because it means they are not running a knife along the vehicle, but there is often a seam like this with these types of installs. They save a little on wasted film, but there is inevitably a seam like this, although it is a little larger than I have seen.

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I think I already asked you this, but if you could post a picture of that area under the rear taillights where I have my seam, I'd appreciate it!
I paid $7000 for full Xpel Ultimate Stealth. No seams. I love the satin look.

Looks terrific - can you post some close-ups of the corners on the hood and fenders?
C29EC5B8-5F45-4106-A962-7F85BA2BD598.jpeg
0488DAB3-92BE-4E84-A834-070B60A27267.jpeg

Brassfactory

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I dropped my phone and the camera isn’t working. But when you peer very closely, you can see that the PPF ends at the edge of the brake light in the place where the OP showed a gap. So there is a seam in that sense. But on mine it is tiny compared to the one photographed and invisible except under forensic examination. I don’t see seams at edges of doors and hoods because they go around the corner.

I think the difference is how much effort each shop puts into getting a precise fit. In any event, it looks great and has already saved me from paint damage.

Bimmerbob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 1981 SC, 2005 C4S, 2017 Macan Turbo, Tesla Model S, AM Vanquish, Porsche Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Just had mine Xpel'd ..... Unbelievable!!!! The whole front (hood, spoiler (except the flat black areas)), front fenders, mirrors, under door handles, top part of back bumper)

I think Xpel is the way to go

Last edited:

porsche_coyote

First Name
Wiley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW ID.4 AWD Pro S, BMW i3
Country flag
FWIW, I just picked up my car today from Polished Protection in Signal Hill, CA. I literally couldn't see the XPEL film, they did such an amazing job.

OP
OP

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
FWIW, I just picked up my car today from Polished Protection in Signal Hill, CA. I literally couldn't see the XPEL film, they did such an amazing job.
So no visible seams anywhere? That would be quite a job.

OP
OP

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Would you mind taking a close-up of this area:

Porsche Taycan Does anyone else with full PPF have a seam like this? 1601956477995

I’d love to have some ammo for when I take my car back to get the seams fixed.

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag

1601956477995.png

Porsche Taycan Does anyone else with full PPF have a seam like this? 1601956477995

Dave - no question he needs to re-apply. I'd check other areas as well. Here's an iPhone shot of the back of my car after full Xpel wrap and 4 coats of ceramic.

Porsche Taycan Does anyone else with full PPF have a seam like this? tempImageFamx5

They still need to apply the final (5th) coat of ceramic and I'll post some high res pics after tomorrow. They did an incredible job - lifetime guarantee, and want me to bring it in after a month so they can double check everything. I've also included a bad shot with lots of reflections of the underside of the car just to show the lengths they went to cover the rear carbon spoiler as it goes under the car almost a foot - they actually made a special tool to apply it.

Porsche Taycan Does anyone else with full PPF have a seam like this? tempImagerZRIgL

Last edited: