Does the Webasto heat the battery?

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
It is activated when the battery temperature falls below 50F while charging, higher level of heating kicks in at -22F.
1699173609361.png
The DCFC chart seems to imply that cooling starts when battery temp is above 86 - 90F. Why then does preconditioning often raise battery temp above 95 F or higher? Over heat it, then spend energy cooling it?

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
Never ceases to amaze me how much technical information is out there for our car. Here’s a picture of the coolant manifold if anyone wants to match the diagram to the physical parts.
IMG_0832.jpeg
They weren't always so neat. The first two years of Taycan, they looked like this – which was nicknamed the "rats nest" by the designers.

Porsche Taycan Does the Webasto heat the battery? mach-e-frunk-uncovered-naked

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan Turbo, Eletre R (on order)
Country flag
They weren't always so neat. The first two years of Taycan, they looked like this – which was nicknamed the "rats nest" by the designers.

mach-e-frunk-uncovered-naked.jpg
Discrete valves to a monoblock design. When did they change that in production?

Dare I say it out load, is this Porsche’s take on the Tesla octovalve?!

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
Discrete valves to a monoblock design. When did they change that in production?

Dare I say it out load, is this Porsche’s take on the Tesla octovalve?!
My understanding was for MY22.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
The DCFC chart seems to imply that cooling starts when battery temp is above 86 - 90F. Why then does preconditioning often raise battery temp above 95 F or higher? Over heat it, then spend energy cooling it?
This chart is for 2020 Taycan Turbo(S). They might have adjusted the threshold since, especially given a new battery chemistry in 2021. However, is is also possible that the car preheats the battery to 95F, then starts cooling it as soon as fast DC charging starts in anticipation of fast charging dumping a whole lot of heat into the battery fast.

OP
OP
hifi239

hifi239

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
DCFC = DC Fast Charging - Either pre-con (en route) or during the actual fast charging session - battery is heated up to around 34-36C (whatever that is in Fahrenheit) before full DC power is allowed to be unleashed.
whitex's chart above and my own experience is that the Webasto heater heats to your number 36C ( 97F) pre-con, en route, or even a bit hotter (I've seen it go to 38C (101F)). But if you plug into a DCFC with a cold battery, the Webasto will heat it only if it is below 10C (50F) and kick off if it gets above 12C (53F) and let resistance heating take it from there.

Launch control isn't "always on" for any Taycan variant. The battery needs to be 'goldilocks' warm to discharge effectively at high rates as well as recharge at high rates. It's just the way it is with lithium chemistry.
My mistake. I see now that the "launch control" in whitex's Sport+ column is only a note, it is the "+" in Sport+ that triggers battery heating. I guess that means for my base Taycan I would have less ability to heat the battery to prep for my lauch control because I don't have Sport+.

Thanks!

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
whitex's chart above and my own experience is that the Webasto heater heats to your number 36C ( 97F) pre-con, en route, or even a bit hotter (I've seen it go to 38C (101F)).
It seems they have increased this preheating temperature with the last big uPdate, when the changed the icons etc.

I regularly see the battery temperature raise to 40 C on a long trip, prior to Ultra fast charging. If that comes from the heater or just reduced cooling of the battery, I have no idea, but should be visible with CarScanner? And my car is 2020 so only SW change since new.

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan Turbo, Eletre R (on order)
Country flag
Webasto is the hot air heater for the cabin and very much doubt it is plumbed into the battery water based cooling system. Heating the batteries would require resistive heating elements which I think the car may energise when a rapid charge is planned in the Nav (if required). I don't know if it will use battery to heat the battery should it be very cold as batteries tend to heat up anyway when in use.
The 10kW Webasto on the Taycan is a water heater. It is used to heat the battery pack as well as the cabin (in addition to the heat pump function, for those cars so equipped - such as UK bound Taycans). 👍

R Benny Waered

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S, Rapide S, Mc GT, ID.5
Country flag
Interesting! When I looked into it (and what the problem was) it was a silicon based resistive device - but it sits in water?

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
>misinformation - sorry< :angry:Webasto is the hot air heater for the cabin and very much doubt it is plumbed into the battery water based cooling system. Heating the batteries would require resistive heating elements which I think the car may energise when a rapid charge is planned in the Nav (if required). I don't know if it will use battery to heat the battery should it be very cold as batteries tend to heat up anyway when in use.
please look at the diagram in post no 6 above. It is quite clear it is piped in!

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Its this device right - definitely seems to have coolant pipes in and out despite being called 'blower motor fan'!!! 👍

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/275747014541
Complete tangent, but the car from this listing seems to have some unusual damage - hit from above in the rear. Parked under a construction crane? Lose load from a braking truck behind? Crazy ex-wife in a forklift? The heater should be all good though.

Porsche Taycan Does the Webasto heat the battery? 1699294298995

Donlam

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi e-Tron, Porsche Taycan rwd 23
Country flag
Complete tangent, but the car from this listing seems to have some unusual damage - hit from above in the rear. Parked under a construction crane? Lose load from a braking truck behind? Crazy ex-wife in a forklift? The heater should be all good though.

1699294298995.png
Looks like something drop from the space to the rear.o_O