daned

First Name
Dane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Macan Mercedes AMG GTS Edition 1
Country flag
Just got my 22 RWD with the standard door sill and was wondering seeing if anyone was able to get it changed to an illuminated one, is that possible?
Sponsored

andrewh3

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Yes, definitely. I had this done on my car (made a huge difference). The dealer did the work and apparently it took one of their technicians 'a whole day' - I saw the kit before it was fitted and it did not look that difficult, but apparently no instructions were included and it was one of the first Taycan's they had worked on.

@lpher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan CT4
Country flag
Yes, definitely. I had this done on my car (made a huge difference). The dealer did the work and apparently it took one of their technicians 'a whole day' - I saw the kit before it was fitted and it did not look that difficult, but apparently no instructions were included and it was one of the first Taycan's they had worked on.
Did the kit you saw have several meters of additional wiring, or was it just 15-35cm cabling? Reason for asking is that it would be interesting to know if the doorsills are prewired for this feature, or if you have to wire it up completely?

andrewh3

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Cabling was short and I think automatically pre-wired - I think the main issue was lack of instructions plus waiting for response from Porsche HQ with time zone difference!

OP
OP

daned

First Name
Dane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Macan Mercedes AMG GTS Edition 1
Country flag
Thanks for the response, yes wondering same if it’s plug n play.

andrewh3

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
In theory should be but they did take all day (and I would have thought done similar retrofits on other models), so I suspect might be more complex!

iamfrozt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Everything I've read is that it's at least a 3 hour job for Porsche techs due to having to dismantle more than would be expected in order to handle the wiring harnesses and such. I can't seem to find a guide on the installation for a retro though. I'm continuing to look because I'm about ready to order the brushed black lit sills. I'd love to do the installation myself to be honest.

Skilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
If it's like the 911 (likely is) it's a few hours to complete. Porsches are rarely 'pre-wired' for an option that wasn't requested in the build. And, the door sills for my 911 didn't simply splice into the door pins.

If it's the same, the seats need to be removed to access to the controller and then the sills are placed into the DIN plug at the appropriate locations. I would say its a VERY tough job without instructions. Suncoast has a kit available so it likely has instructions.

smoothound

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT Turbo Acid Green PTS
Country flag
Personal taste - I have this (standard equipment) on my A7 and TBH it's not something I would pay for - I don't notice it and never received any comments from passengers on it ... you see it for a few seconds only when the doors are open - and it serves no real practical purpose.

But as I said - personal taste.

fmorris26

First Name
Fredrik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo 4, 911 Carera 4, BMW 520 Xd
Country flag
I was very dissapointed with the standard plastic sills and am considering replacing it with the brushed aluminium without light. Porsche Norway can provide the parts, but don´t know if it is a possible installation. To me it seems to be, but does anyone know how to? Do I replace the plastic ones or do the aluminium sill fit on top of the one I have?

Porsche Taycan Door Sill illuminated replacement IMG_1745

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
I was very dissapointed with the standard plastic sills and am considering replacing it with the brushed aluminium without light.
Exactly why I spent the ~$390 for brushed aluminum sills.

Roppe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S MY22
Country flag
The brushed aluminum ones come at no extra charge over here, or maybe it depends on the model?

fmorris26

First Name
Fredrik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo 4, 911 Carera 4, BMW 520 Xd
Country flag
The brushed aluminum ones come at no extra charge over here, or maybe it depends on the model?
It does on the 4S, but apparently not on the 4.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
It does depend on trim level. Extra cost on RWD.

iamfrozt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have the brushed aluminum on my 4s. I like them a lot, but they really should have been spec'd with the brushed black aluminum given everything else that was spec'd black on it. I would really like to swap to the black, but I can't seem to find the steps to do it or the service manual. Not sure how hard it would be to do it myself. Can't justify the swap through the dealer given the cost though.
Sponsored