Mr. Mercedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
W223 S450, X3M40i
Country flag
Doug was for some reason more annoying than usual in this review. He dedicated the vast majority of the review to stuff we already know and then glossed over the driving experience, which is what most GTS drivers I would think would be interested in.

His scores also make absolutely no sense. He gave the GTS 6 for handling, yet just shortly after gave a BMW iX 5 for handling. I very much doubt there is a one point difference between these two vehicles with respect to handling. He also has Mercedes sitting on 7 for quality, and Tesla merely 1 point behind on 6. These scores are far from reality.
Sponsored

TycanNewHampshire

First Name
TG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tycan 4S
Country flag
@Mr. Mercedes :CWL: I am curious as "more annoying than usual" is still "annoying" :)
However, do you find him more annoying that Shmee? I personally can't decide whom I dislike the most?
Reason I ask, is I may start to give an annoyance factor.....are they Demented DeMero or Supercilious Shmee? Doug Annoying or just Shmee annoying?
*sorry for hijack, I am honestly just side-tracked by how these individuals that make me want to rather listen to nails down a chalkboard or screeching across glass, have become beloved by so many and even more confusing is the report from a member who has met Dougie and this 'internet celebrity' has apparently gone to his head and he is quite pompous (true, I can't judge....he may have always just been that way)?
So, Mr. Merc, whom would you rate as the higher annoyance (please don't say you like Shmee...:blush:)?

Jrkennedy37

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 Panamera ST, '21 Taycan CT4
Country flag
Demuro and Shmee are both very “brand safe” and generally positive about most every car they drive. That’s why advertisers love them.

It’s odd to see Shmee take a negative stance on anything so his negativity around the Taycan range and related EV charging network was very surprising, and I’m guessing will impact his future access to EV brands and models unless he buys them independently.

The Demuro scoring system also throws me, but I don’t put much credibility in the rankings. If you look closely, most similar models are within 1-2 points of one another, like an Ivy League bell curve where the lowest grade is a B.

Mr. Mercedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
W223 S450, X3M40i
Country flag
@Mr. Mercedes :CWL: I am curious as "more annoying than usual" is still "annoying" :)
However, do you find him more annoying that Shmee? I personally can't decide whom I dislike the most?
Reason I ask, is I may start to give an annoyance factor.....are they Demented DeMero or Supercilious Shmee? Doug Annoying or just Shmee annoying?
*sorry for hijack, I am honestly just side-tracked by how these individuals that make me want to rather listen to nails down a chalkboard or screeching across glass, have become beloved by so many and even more confusing is the report from a member who has met Dougie and this 'internet celebrity' has apparently gone to his head and he is quite pompous (true, I can't judge....he may have always just been that way)?
So, Mr. Merc, whom would you rate as the higher annoyance (please don't say you like Shmee...:blush:)?
Hahaha.

This time Doug actually grated me more than Schmee ever has. That said I don't like watching Schmee reviews but will watch Doug when he has a car I'm interested in.

There is not one reviewer that I would heed their advice unquestionably. They are all far too inconsistent and clearly driven by brand bias. Often they are also poorly informed/educated on the product they are reviewing and miss some very basic information.

FredG

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4
Country flag
So It’s 4:22 AM and I’m reading the Taycan forum and “the-race” F1 news website to get my mind off all the stressful related BS I’m dealing with at work that is keeping me up at night….

Then I read this thread and can’t help myself posting !

I also truly dislike Schmee’s reviews and actively avoid them; from his voice, to his demeanor, to the content or lack thereof; he really comes off as rich snob and nothing about his reviews seem to add anything at all. Not that being rich is a problem in itself, for example I usually enjoy MrJWW Reviews and he also comes off as rich but somehow likeable to me, even though it is the same “ new car day” story a lot of the time.

Doug‘s reviews to me are at least useful for the quirks and features part and he does look for the hidden interesting or odd stuff. His driving portions are usually weak so I usually stop watching when he begins the drive. And yes he is annoying but acceptable in a very common joe kind of way.

I love Matt’s Carwow reviews, he is usually funny and informative And he loves doing standing starts and drag races.

Then we have Carfection which I find some of the most enjoyable for the quality of the cinematography and the content itself , Chris Harris for his always funky crazy driving and others which are all about driving and zero about features, which I do enjoy best Because to me all the reviews are about entertainment rather than information. I do miss Clarkson and Tiff.

And then there are a lot of other reviewers I enjoy for different reasons, Harry’s Garage ( how does an old guy like that get to become a person that gets to do long term reviews of such cool cars? LOL ), The Strait Pipes, RBR, EVO, etc.

Finally, I go back to think how messed up I am/ this world is. Here I am reading and writing about cars, as we are ending 2 years of a pandemic and have just witnessed the start of a war. Not sure if I am happy or ashamed to have my interest in cars at this moment in the world.

Thank you all for providing entertainment, and if you are near the war, my prayers for you and your families.

Last edited:

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
...Harry’s Garage ( how does an old guy like that get to become a person that gets to do long term reviews of such cool cars? LOL )
He's built up a lot of respect in the industry, not least from his founding EVO mag 20 odd years ago.
....Hey! What's with the "old" you young whippersnapper? <I go off to shout at a cloud>
?

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Harry’s Garage ( how does an old guy like that get to become a person that gets to do long term reviews of such cool cars? LOL )
His founding EVO magazine and his depth of experience and knowledge of cars make his reviews massively better than almost any other, actually.

Clarkson is super entertaining IMO but his knowledge of cars is actually surprisingly weak.

TaycanHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS Sport Turismo (2023)
Country flag
From Harry's Garage, I've recently stumbled upon Iain Tyrrell who has some very interesting content in a mire of identikit crap within the 'motorcar influencer' sphere:

https://www.youtube.com/c/TyrrellsClassicWorkshop

He has a certain charisma and is enjoyable to watch. Reminds me a bit of James May.

When it comes to the car reviewers, I would say Carwow, Auto Express, RBR, and Rory at Autotrader are among the most enjoyable to watch.

The "lifestyle" influencers like Shmee and TGE TV get tedious, quickly and incidentally are the least likeable.

And for something different, where a self-taught mechanic (who is likeable) buys write-off supercars at auction for peanuts, then fixes/mods them, see: https://www.youtube.com/c/MatArmstrongbmx

im85288

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Country flag
Another reviewer to add to the mix that I don’t think has been mentioned yet is Bjorn (formerly TeslaBjorn) who I find quite entertaining as he says what he feels.

Was bored waiting for new Taycan reviews to watch the other day so watched his series on when he reviewed the Taycan 4S.

One of his lines made me burst out in laughter when he mentioned the rear view camera…it was something along the lines of “how the heck did Porsche include this piece of S**t!”

FredG

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4
Country flag
He's built up a lot of respect in the industry, not least from his founding EVO mag 20 odd years ago.
....Hey! What's with the "old" you young whippersnapper? <I go off to shout at a cloud>
?
His founding EVO magazine and his depth of experience and knowledge of cars make his reviews massively better than almost any other, actually.

Clarkson is super entertaining IMO but his knowledge of cars is actually surprisingly weak.
yes, thank you both for remind me of Harry’s connection to EVO; I had read that in the past.

about Clarkson, again, it was all about entertainment, I used to laugh a lo5 listening to his “reviews” and idiotic similes; but I gather he was a prick in real life.

mandoyoda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
I believe Porsche recalibrated the software and now it gets a chunk more range out of the same battery.

My understanding is that the changes will go to all models, but the official ratings won't be changed as doing that's a ball ache.
Looking forward to this update if true. Getting more range from the same set up is great! I wonder what software tweaks have been made to make this possible.

Kayone73

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan CT4S, Kia Telluride EX, Tesla Model Y
Country flag
That was it mainly, the BRG is too dark and in my opinion dark colours make the Taycan look drab and uninteresting, where its subtle lines are what makes it so unique and aesthetic.

The aurum painted Mission E's looked tacky and didn't work with the BRG. Black would have worked better. It just didn't look particularly special and was the most drab car of his entire collection.

No wonder he was never excited about it. Most of the audience wasn't either. He had the money to properly cyberpunk the car, but instead he seemed to spend more time and effort modding his Yaris GR ?

Also, more from a "what did you think was going to happen" perspective, he had a Turbo S, which is optimised for raw speed not range.

Shmee knows he always does big tours, and needed range, so why didn't he get a 4S instead?

He then went about making a huge point of the poor range.

Then to make a subtle point of his dislike for his Taycan, he swapped it for the polar opposite car with a huge gas guzzling V12... That admittedly looks equally dull and unexciting.

All a bit pointless really. But each to their own.
I fondly refer to Shmee as the car YouTuber with the 'most punchable face' and I mean that with love. ??

Gwaihir

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
I find him irritating with a total charisma bypass but had the impression he quite liked his Taycan - he used it as his daily driver for months when he had plenty of other choices - but had chosen to soak up the narrative that EVs are not all that green because he is IMO a bit thick.
I don’t think he is thick. Remember the cheating of “we have the fastest production car”. The one he proved - by doing the maths on the video footage showing is was way slower than the Bugatti? He was the first disproving them. . . . .

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
I don’t think he is thick. Remember the cheating of “we have the fastest production car”. The one he proved - by doing the maths on the video footage showing is was way slower than the Bugatti? He was the first disproving them. . . . .
Sorry, I don't remember that.
I find him so slow paced I have watched few of his videos so missed the one to which you refer.

In any case whilst lots of power can compensate a bit for weight on acceleration and gives a high top speed that is the least interesting of all car statistics ime, it doesn't make a sporting car good, necessarily.

The Bugatti is too heavy to actually be a sports car :) but most will only be used, if ever, to pose around town.

TaycanHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS Sport Turismo (2023)
Country flag
I fondly refer to Shmee as the car YouTuber with the 'most punchable face' and I mean that with love. ??
He's annoying in high doses.

Though Doug DeMuro is equally annoying with his pseudo enthusiastic persona, and irritatingly freaky flailing of arms, hands and even head.

It's like Woody from Toy Story only someone dialled up the rag doll physics to psychotic mode.

His overly animated gesturing and constant emphasis of his words only patronises his audience. It assumes they have the attention span of a toddler with ADHD.

How millions of subscribers put up with that is even more bizarre .

Of the few videos I've managed to watch all the way through, he's not even that good reviewer.
Sponsored