Dreaded Red Error to New HV Battery in 12 Days!

PNWTaycan4S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘91 Polar Silver 964, ‘20 Dolomite Silver Taycan 4S, ‘19 Gravity Blue Nero EV
Country flag
I’m a lucky dog.

The red battery error showed up requiring my 2020 Taycan 4S+, with 37,500 miles, to be towed to the dealer. Flatbed on a Sunday, diagnosed and reported to Porsche Germany on a Monday, with authorization and order for new HV battery the same day. Battery was delivered to the dealer in two days. Installation was completed a week from the following Friday. 12 days from tow to new HV battery with an increased charging percentage.

Miracles do happen!

Porsche Taycan Dreaded Red Error to New HV Battery in 12 Days! Taycan in Magnolia 2023.10.03

Porsche Taycan Dreaded Red Error to New HV Battery in 12 Days! IMG-6593 (1)

Porsche Taycan Dreaded Red Error to New HV Battery in 12 Days! 2023.10.03 Charge Percentage

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I’m a lucky dog.

The red battery error showed up requiring my 2020 Taycan 4S+, with 37,500 miles, to be towed to the dealer...
You are lucky indeed! I had to endure 2.5 months. Perhaps Porsche realised how often this problem occures and got their repair diagnostics, training and logistics together?

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
You are lucky indeed! I had to endure 2.5 months. Perhaps Porsche realised how often this problem occures and got their repair diagnostics, training and logistics together?
My guess is that now demand has slowed spare parts are being supplied rather than all production going straight to the production line.

Funflier

First Name
DJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Battery changeout related question I've been wanting to ask so thought I'd post here. Recently found myself parked next to a Taycan of same model and color, which led to a quick conversation. Owner said he purchased in 2020 with 79kW battery option and was later offered free upgrade to 93kW battery as part of some type of beta program. Obviously I have no way of fact checking the story, but I had no idea this was even possible. Anyone aware of this happening elsewhere? If so, and someone wanted to upgrade their battery without a free offer, what would it cost? I have the standard option and have never needed more, but this encounter made me curious...

OP
OP
PNWTaycan4S

PNWTaycan4S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘91 Polar Silver 964, ‘20 Dolomite Silver Taycan 4S, ‘19 Gravity Blue Nero EV
Country flag
Dealer said that they decided to get one of their own service technicians certified by Porsche in the HV battery technology & service, enabling them to do full repairs and replacements on the HV battery. Earlier they had to wait for one of the Porsche USA technicians to fly out and perform the repair. Suspect as fleng suggests the availability of parts has also improved.

Hanny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S Carmine Red
Country flag
….is this an early indication that Porsche is now returning to ‘normal’ with the acceptable timeframes……let’s hope it is and happy for you that it was turned around in a suitable manner

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Dealer said that they decided to get one of their own service technicians certified by Porsche in the HV battery technology & service, enabling them to do full repairs and replacements on the HV battery. Earlier they had to wait for one of the Porsche USA technicians to fly out and perform the repair.
Same with Porsche dealer here. (But hope I won't need it.)

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
IMO any car service centre that doesnt have mechanics trained in battery service and repair is bonkers. It will be the main work on EVs since the motors are so simple and reliable compared to IC engines and there is no clutch and the transmission is extremely simple.

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
IMO any car service centre that doesnt have mechanics trained in battery service and repair is bonkers. It will be the main work on EVs since the motors are so simple and reliable compared to IC engines and there is no clutch and the transmission is extremely simple.
I agree with you. But Porsche's current approach -"multi-stage", "seamless service network for high voltage batteries" with its "flying doctors" - does not.

The service concept for electric vehicles therefore comprises several stages: the first point of contact is a high-voltage base, set up within a qualified Porsche Centre. The sports car manufacturer is also establishing cross-regional hubs at certain qualified centres, which will handle repairs on high-voltage vehicles in areas where there is no high-voltage base close by. The Porsche Centre that originally accepts the vehicle for repairs will take it to the high-voltage hub, where the work will be carried out along with a final quality inspection, before it is returned to the original Porsche Centre.

If transporting the vehicle to a dedicated repair centre is not possible, a ‘flying doctor’-style repair technician is deployed. These mobile high-voltage experts can repair defective high-voltage batteries on site. Ahead of this, the relevant Porsche Centre receives all the high-voltage tools and replacement parts required for the work. These different options allow Porsche to offer a seamless service network for high-voltage battery repairs.

The final part of the concept for work on the Taycan as the first series production car with a system voltage of 800 volts is recognising the need for a clear division of tasks and responsibilities. With this in mind, Porsche has defined three qualification levels: qualified electricians, high-voltage technicians and high-voltage experts. Qualified electricians have a basic qualification that allows them to perform standard repairs to high-voltage vehicles, such as changing the tyres or wiper blades. They must be briefed and supervised by a high-voltage technician when working on a high-voltage vehicle.

High-voltage technicians are trained to work on vehicles that have been disconnected from the voltage supply, and are familiar with classifying and storing lithium batteries. They are also qualified to remove and pack high-voltage batteries classified as ‘Normal’ and ‘Warning’. High-voltage experts have the highest qualification level at the Porsche Centre. They are the only people allowed to perform work inside high-voltage batteries, handle high-voltage batteries with insulation faults and prepare and pack these types of batteries for transportation.

https://media.porsche.com/mediakit/...ility-performance/multi-stage-service-concept

Hanny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S Carmine Red
Country flag
…the fly in the ointment…….service garages have a business plan for revenue and profit, training is an overhead that impacts profit…. depending on the ratio of EV’s to ICE will dictate a training budget to get their techs up to EV quails/certification.

Can not see any manufacturers services having equal trained peoples for EV and ICE, it will follow the ratio of vehicles….. this there is still some pain to come EV service me thinks 🙄

Last edited:

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
…the flat in the ointment…….service garages have a business plan for revenue and profit, training is an overhead that impacts profit…. depending on the ratio of EV’s to ICE will dictate a training budget to get their techs up to EV quails/certification.

Can not see any manufacturers services having equal trained peoples for EV and ICE, it will follow the ratio of vehicles….. this there is still some pain to come EV service me thinks 🙄
Probably, but the pain is in battery and distant peripherals, like entertainment and software features rather than the running gear which is fundamentally simple and unlikely to be unreliable.

For me the battery is the only bit likely to need much maintenance on a well engineered car.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Jeez, my repair, not replacement, took 3 months.
Repairing the battery will inevitably take longer than replacement if a dealer gets a complete new battery quickly.

Repair requires strip down, checks and ordering and replacing any down on spec parts. Probably a fair bit cheaper if it is only a module to replace but with re-sealing and testing definitely a longer job than unbolting one battery and fitting another, unfortunately.

dnanian

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Tesla Model S, BMW i3
Country flag
Repairing the battery will inevitably take longer than replacement if a dealer gets a complete new battery quickly.

Repair requires strip down, checks and ordering and replacing any down on spec parts. Probably a fair bit cheaper if it is only a module to replace but with re-sealing and testing definitely a longer job than unbolting one battery and fitting another, unfortunately.
No doubt. Although much of that delay was waiting for the one person in the region qualified to do HV repair to actually come to the dealer.
Sponsored