Driver's side Charging Port door won't close and Passenger side won't open.

Polar993

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
McLaren 720s, Porsche 993, Alpina Z8, Ferrari 328,
Country flag
This looks very similar to what happened to me albeit only twice in 1.3 years of ownership. After at home AC charging the door wouldn’t close as you describe - mine would attempt to close but bounce back half way as though encountering an obstruction and stay open. When this happens an error will display in the dash saying error with RHS door and DC charging not possible - simply a ‘linked’ issue as the PCM thinks the issue is with the RHS door when in fact due to the LHS door staying open.

I basically solved it each time by toggling back and forth the plug release/charge finish button in the LHS port (not via the dash controls) and/or finger slide on fin to initiate the attempt to close each time and what seemed to work was inserting my hand to abruptly stop the closing process (before it stopped itself) I.e. physically stopping the door from closing with an open palm and/or fiddling with the door itself as it closed - after 3-5 cycles it fixed itself and no issues since. Perhaps this physical intervention may be simply resetting the sensor back to default - guessing!

Most probably a faulty door sensor and indeed nothing at all to do with the 12v battery issues described elsewhere - my 12v is perfectly fine too and everything else working as it should in the car.

As my dealership could not replicate this however on last visit (go figure!), they did nothing about it but I will be certain to take a video if it ever happens again as proof (screenshot of error in dash apparently not proof enough!).

Give it a go - all that said, your situation may still be different if in fact both doors are staying open!
I’m two months and 800 miles into ownership of my 2023 Taycan, and today the same problem presented itself on my car! First, I received the message Charging Port Impaired. It was referencing the passenger side AC/DC port, which has never even been used so far. My Porsche Wall Connect Charger is to the left of my car, so I always just use the driver’s side charge port for AC charging. Seeing the error message, I got out of the car and tried to open the passenger charge port (I have the motorized covers) and it would not open! I then went to the driver’s side and tried to open that door, and it opened half way, and got stuck not fully opened! I tried hitting the stop charging button next to the charger port and it didn’t do anything. I tried swiping the actuator and the door tried to shut but would bounce back up to the partially opened position.

I tried walking away from the car with it locked and coming back an hour later, but the problem still persisted. I thought I was going to have to drive to the dealership to bring the car in for service…..until I read ciaranob’s post above! I followed his steps of swiping the actuator, and stopping the door from coming down a few times, and on the third try, the door fully opened! The door then shut fully and ever since then, it’s been fine! No more error message, and both doors are working fine now.

I’m not happy with the quirks of the car, but for now I’m glad I resolved my issue, and I’m grateful to @ciaranob for his post, and for this forum for the great sharing of knowledge of this fine car! 🙏🏼

Pics of my situation:

Porsche Taycan Driver's side Charging Port door won't close and Passenger side won't open. IMG_2819
Porsche Taycan Driver's side Charging Port door won't close and Passenger side won't open. IMG_2820

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
I’m two months and 800 miles into ownership of my 2023 Taycan, and today the same problem presented itself on my car! First, I received the message Charging Port Impaired. It was referencing the passenger side AC/DC port, which has never even been used so far. My Porsche Wall Connect Charger is to the left of my car, so I always just use the driver’s side charge port for AC charging. Seeing the error message, I got out of the car and tried to open the passenger charge port (I have the motorized covers) and it would not open! I then went to the driver’s side and tried to open that door, and it opened half way, and got stuck not fully opened! I tried hitting the stop charging button next to the charger port and it didn’t do anything. I tried swiping the actuator and the door tried to shut but would bounce back up to the partially opened position.

I tried walking away from the car with it locked and coming back an hour later, but the problem still persisted. I thought I was going to have to drive to the dealership to bring the car in for service…..until I read ciaranob’s post above! I followed his steps of swiping the actuator, and stopping the door from coming down a few times, and on the third try, the door fully opened! The door then shut fully and ever since then, it’s been fine! No more error message, and both doors are working fine now.

I’m not happy with the quirks of the car, but for now I’m glad I resolved my issue, and I’m grateful to @ciaranob for his post, and for this forum for the great sharing of knowledge of this fine car! 🙏🏼

Pics of my situation:

IMG_2819.png
IMG_2820.png
Hey glad that worked - but DO take a vid if it happens to resurrect itself (or perhaps you already have one) so that you can provide this to your SA - in the end that is unfortunately what happened to me but with the vid the SA was able to process the repair order and indeed they ended up replacing the entire LHS charge unit and door actuator! - 100% fixed since then.

PSUEric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Infiniti G37S Coupe, 2015 Toyota Highlander
Country flag
Both charging doors cannot be open at the same time. I have manual doors and accidentally opened the drivers side when cleaning the windshield. Tried to open the passenger side to charge and could not. Took me a couple minutes to discover the drivers side was open. Closed it and problem solved.

Polar993

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hey glad that worked - but DO take a vid if it happens to resurrect itself (or perhaps you already have one) so that you can provide this to your SA - in the end that is unfortunately what happened to me but with the vid the SA was able to process the repair order and indeed they ended up replacing the entire LHS charge unit and door actuator! - 100% fixed since then.
Thanks again. I hope the problem doesn’t come back, but I have a sense it might.

I don’t have a video from this first issue. What did you actually capture in the video? Was it the charge port door partially open, then shutting halfway, and going back up to the partially open position?

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks again. I hope the problem doesn’t come back, but I have a sense it might.

I don’t have a video from this first issue. What did you actually capture in the video? Was it the charge port door partially open, then shutting halfway, and going back up to the partially open position?
Yep - pretty much - was ready with phone when I attempted the 2nd time - these days I basically video any and all issues no matter how minor as a ‘backup’ should it be needed to be shared either the dealership!

Polar993

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yep - pretty much - was ready with phone when I attempted the 2nd time - these days I basically video any and all issues no matter how minor as a ‘backup’ should it be needed to be shared either the dealership!
Did you have to get the charge port DOORS replaced, or just the mechanism? Hopefully it wasn’t the doors themselves, since they are painted. Mine are also PPFd.

BJCanadaMax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cross Turismo, MINI SE, Toyota Prius
Country flag
Could as well be, i’ve passed on the sliding doors, I did not like the plaquettes on them and it’s just another point of failure.
Me too, it’s much cleaner without the black thing, unless your color is black.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Did you have to get the charge port DOORS replaced, or just the mechanism? Hopefully it wasn’t the doors themselves, since they are painted. Mine are also PPFd.
Yes mechanism not the doors. I’ll dig out the work order when I get a chance and post to confirm in case my memory is deceiving me in respect what exact part was replaced!
Sponsored