Dufferman12

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4s, 2018 9114S Targa, 1911 Model T Torpedo
Country flag
I have been trying to charge my car at Electrify America 350KWH sites but it appears to only charge at 150KWH regardless of whether it is hooked up to a 350KwH or not. Am I doing something wrong?
Sponsored

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
1st off read this thread

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...my-taycan-charge-as-fast-as-i-want-it-to.779/

there are a lot of variables to getting the maximum 270 kW charge rate from a Taycan (yes it can not charge at 350 kW - Porsche's stated maximum charge rate for the Taycan is 270 kW NOT 350 kW)
  • you need a low SOC (state of charger) % - 40% or lower
  • battery temp must be "in the ideal range" - too cold or too hot and you can't do optimal fast charging
  • the charger has to have the excess capacity to offer 270 kW charging
    • for the most part EA chargers have local battery storage to allow them to "burst" mode charge - if the local storage is depleted/offline they can only charge as fast as the power feed to the charger - which may be lower than 270 kw for a particular charger
  • ambient air temperatures have to be conducive to the higher speed charging rates…
  • if multiple EV's are charging at the same time available site wide capacity might force the EV chargers to "share/split" the load so that multiple EV's can be charging at the same time
even _WHEN_ you do get 270 kW or close - it won't last very long - as the battery fills up and raises the SOC the charge rate will taper to protect the LiON battery chemistry and maintain battery longevity - after you get "off" of peak charge rate however the Taycan is pretty good can can maintain 100-150 kW charge rates deep into the 80% SOC range - which makes it the fastest charging EV currently available in production - consistent and non-tapered 100-150 kW charge rates is world class and the best fast charging EV I'm aware of at this time…it also means the vehicle is at 80-90% charge in most circumstances in about 30 minutes (at 100-150 kW charge rates the Tayan's battery simply isn't big enough to hold much more power) - once you're at 80-90% SOC it makes little sense to top-off at a fast charger since the charge rate will be so slow and the driving range you are gaining isn't that useful compared to the time spent at the charger for that last 8-10% of battery SOC (approximately 24 miles of driving range).

if you're getting 100-150 kW across the board with no taper you're doing about as well as can be expected for real world conditions.

posting my charge rate "is slow" with no data as to battery SOC when you started, rating plate on the charger, ambient air temp, battery temperature, and stall count and if other vehicles are charging makes it very hard to provide any meaningful thoughts on what might be happening

but the simple answer is the Taycan will charge as the maximum rate it can at the time based on circumstances and environment and charger capacity - there is nothing to you can do wrong to make it charge slower or faster - the charge rate you're getting is appropriate for the moment and circumstances - unfortunately you can never tell if the limiting factor is the car or the charger…we lack sufficient data to tell which end is causing the restriction.

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
here is a graph of a charge session w/EA this past summer in Paso Robles

Porsche Taycan Won't charge at 350 Screen Shot 2021-02-01 at 9.03.52 AM

after about 35% SOC the charge rate starts to drop from it's peak of 254 kW - now was this because of the vehicle or the charger? i.e. did the charger run out of "juice" and could no longer provide that level of charge? or did the car start to ramp down the charge rate for some set of factors that we don't know about?

the point is by time the battery was at 40% SOC - I was only getting 150 kW - but that rate stayed consistent until about 70% SOC at which point it started ramping down as the battery got closer to full...

however 150 kW flat-line charge rate from 40% to 70% SOC is world class and way better than any Tesla I've ever owned. All other EV's have slower charge rates, so the only EV that comes close to the Taycan is the Tesla Model 3/Y products - and they based on my experience can not sustain a 150 kW deep into the 70% SOC range…

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
posted below is the "ideal" Taycan charge rate w/taper - the red line pretty much represents the best case scenario for a Taycan…in real world conditions you'd be hard pressed to do better, and it's very likely you'll rarely achieve "the red line"…the Tesla M3 is also on this chart - my intention is _NOT_ to start a comparison - it's simply the best chart I've found for the Taycan so we'll go with it

even under _IDEAL_ circumstances the Taycan will start to taper the charge rate @ about 45% SOC but doesn't drop below 150 kW until after 75% SOC…my personal experience is it remains above 100 kW until about 90% - at which point I'm unplugging and driving to the next fast charger or my destination because that next 10% of SOC will take forever on the charger.

Porsche Taycan Won't charge at 350 Taycan charge rate

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
here is a graph of a charge session w/EA this past summer in Paso Robles

Screen Shot 2021-02-01 at 9.03.52 AM.png

after about 35% SOC the charge rate starts to drop from it's peak of 254 kW - now was this because of the vehicle or the charger? i.e. did the charger run out of "juice" and could no longer provide that level of charge? or did the car start to ramp down the charge rate for some set of factors that we don't know about?

the point is by time the battery was at 40% SOC - I was only getting 150 kW - but that rate stayed consistent until about 70% SOC at which point it started ramping down as the battery got closer to full...

however 150 kW flat-line charge rate from 40% to 70% SOC is world class and way better than any Tesla I've ever owned. All other EV's have slower charge rates, so the only EV that comes close to the Taycan is the Tesla Model 3/Y products - and they based on my experience can not sustain a 150 kW deep into the 70% SOC range…
That charge rate is impressive. I have not seen anything like it even if the battery Has been prewarned before an Ionity charging session. Close but not quite the same.

The only other car I know of that has a good charge curve is the Audi e-tron. Here is a screen shot of its charge. NB the Audi has a max rate of 150 kW, but the 10 - 80 % charge time is quite fast. Average has been calculated to 143.8 kW!

Porsche Taycan Won't charge at 350 74C08528-2D43-44DC-B9E6-6605526579E9

OP
OP

Dufferman12

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4s, 2018 9114S Targa, 1911 Model T Torpedo
Country flag
1st off read this thread

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...my-taycan-charge-as-fast-as-i-want-it-to.779/

there are a lot of variables to getting the maximum 270 kW charge rate from a Taycan (yes it can not charge at 350 kW - Porsche's stated maximum charge rate for the Taycan is 270 kW NOT 350 kW)
  • you need a low SOC (state of charger) % - 40% or lower
  • battery temp must be "in the ideal range" - too cold or too hot and you can't do optimal fast charging
  • the charger has to have the excess capacity to offer 270 kW charging
    • for the most part EA chargers have local battery storage to allow them to "burst" mode charge - if the local storage is depleted/offline they can only charge as fast as the power feed to the charger - which may be lower than 270 kw for a particular charger
  • ambient air temperatures have to be conducive to the higher speed charging rates…
  • if multiple EV's are charging at the same time available site wide capacity might force the EV chargers to "share/split" the load so that multiple EV's can be charging at the same time
even _WHEN_ you do get 270 kW or close - it won't last very long - as the battery fills up and raises the SOC the charge rate will taper to protect the LiON battery chemistry and maintain battery longevity - after you get "off" of peak charge rate however the Taycan is pretty good can can maintain 100-150 kW charge rates deep into the 80% SOC range - which makes it the fastest charging EV currently available in production - consistent and non-tapered 100-150 kW charge rates is world class and the best fast charging EV I'm aware of at this time…it also means the vehicle is at 80-90% charge in most circumstances in about 30 minutes (at 100-150 kW charge rates the Tayan's battery simply isn't big enough to hold much more power) - once you're at 80-90% SOC it makes little sense to top-off at a fast charger since the charge rate will be so slow and the driving range you are gaining isn't that useful compared to the time spent at the charger for that last 8-10% of battery SOC (approximately 24 miles of driving range).

if you're getting 100-150 kW across the board with no taper you're doing about as well as can be expected for real world conditions.

posting my charge rate "is slow" with no data as to battery SOC when you started, rating plate on the charger, ambient air temp, battery temperature, and stall count and if other vehicles are charging makes it very hard to provide any meaningful thoughts on what might be happening

but the simple answer is the Taycan will charge as the maximum rate it can at the time based on circumstances and environment and charger capacity - there is nothing to you can do wrong to make it charge slower or faster - the charge rate you're getting is appropriate for the moment and circumstances - unfortunately you can never tell if the limiting factor is the car or the charger…we lack sufficient data to tell which end is causing the restriction.
I am sorry but how do I assess the battery temperature? I am still new to this.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
and how do I "pre-warm" the battery?
there is no direct method, but if you enter the "actual" EV charger address into the PCM/Porsche nav it will pre-condition the battery on the way to the charger - also spirited driving and Sports Plus has also been shown to raise the battery temperature - but mostly it's a crap shoot for pre-conditioning the battery

I'll defer to others on the forums for their best practices - but battery temperature is _KEY_ when it comes to maximizing charge rate.

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
there is no direct method, but if you enter the "actual" EV charger address into the PCM/Porsche nav it will pre-condition the battery on the way to the charger - also spirited driving and Sports Plus has also been shown to raise the battery temperature - but mostly it's a crap shoot for pre-conditioning the battery

I'll defer to others on the forums for their best practices - but battery temperature is _KEY_ when it comes to maximizing charge rate.
I agree that battery temp makes a big difference (as well as low SOC). Choosing the charger from the Nav Point of Interest - Porsche Charger will start the pre-conditioning. I have found that the battery heats up the best as a result of an actual DC charging session. On a road trip with multiple charging stops, the first session will usually be the slowest especially during cold weather.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Thanks for the reference @chrisk that was true that I had gotten those miserable 66 kilowatt charging sessions back to back when my battery was very hot at over 90F and low SoC <10%. But so far, knock on wood that has only happened to me once. Even before my service appointment I charged again at a 150 KW station and was able to climb to 137 KW. Now after my supposed software update I was finally down to 15% and charged first only getting 96 KW, then after moving to another station got to 105 KW. Still quite suboptimal. I plan a longer road trip this weekend and there I will I think finally see what's up. I had a long conversation with Electrify America this evening as well but still waiting for a supervisor to attempt to find more diagnostic information from them.

I have had several charges that were above 250 KW with my vehicle but I can't say that it's super predictable.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
FYI any interested folks, I did get a callback from an Electrify America supervisor today and they confirmed that my car was requesting the correct charging rate and that the charger was not delivering.

Now for a 300mi trip with at least one charge at a 350 station. Keep you informed.