ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
My car was delivered with Good Year Eagle Assymetric 3 in 2020 and they were NF0 then. Guess GoodYear then updated these to Assymetric 5 and kept NFO spec. Believe I also have seen some Assymetric 6 advertised but not found them online? My Porsche service advisor recommended either Eagle F1 or Pirelli. Pirelli very good for grip but sticky and higher consumption and higher wear he said.

Heard from another service centre that Hankook seem to be in the process to be certified, but have no further info on which model or when. Would make sense since so many Porsches seem to have them in the showrooms.

I am a great Michelin fan since many years, but these GoodYears have been a very positive experience! I was not too happy when I saw them on my car initially because of very old experience with GoodYear.
Have the 3 and 5 variants for sale here too - def had less than positive prior experiences with Goodyear albeit quite some time ago so interesting to read your experiences - another option!
Sponsored

kempez

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo ST, Volvo XC90 T8
Country flag
The F1 asym has performed well on mine since I got my summers installed. I also would have preferred to get PZero's or PS4S, but I've been pretty pleased with them. Excellent wet performance, decent rolling performance and very good dry grip too

Vercingetorix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
I have had good experience with Hankooks, albeit on track.

I read an interesting article this weekend explaining that tires are actually a major source of pollution from automobile right after co2, and that EVs are far worse than ICE because the vehicles are heavier and have more torque (and people tend to drive them harder apparently). I wonder how these compounds and construction techniques impact pollution impacts?

Only real way to reduce bad impact on environment really is just to walk more. People feeling self-righteous about driving EVs are just fooling themselves. The real focus should be on reducing the need for transport, and then making transport as light as possible. Imagine how much more fun (and how much more range) we would have if our vehicles weighed 50% (or better yet 25%) of their current weight.

kempez

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo ST, Volvo XC90 T8
Country flag
EV's are only part of the answer to the environmental damage we're doing and certainly not the 'single shot' that they're sold as. Ultimately getting away from all oil use, including plastics, re-wilding everywhere, moving to 100% sustainable energy, reducing human populations and many other solutions will be the only things that work. But I just cannot see us getting near it and I think we'll extinct ourselves before that happens. And the 'earth' will move on without us at that point I guess

CaliPorsche

First Name
DAVE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S, 2020 Cayenne S, 964 Speedster, AMG
As a displaced Brit of a certain age - I wake up at 6.00am (my time) to be cheered up by a scan of TOF posts - and I just can't stop hearing the voice of Neil from "The Young Ones" when I read this last post.... :)

porsche_coyote

First Name
Wiley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW ID.4 AWD Pro S, BMW i3
Country flag
I have had good experience with Hankooks, albeit on track.

I read an interesting article this weekend explaining that tires are actually a major source of pollution from automobile right after co2, and that EVs are far worse than ICE because the vehicles are heavier and have more torque (and people tend to drive them harder apparently). I wonder how these compounds and construction techniques impact pollution impacts?

Only real way to reduce bad impact on environment really is just to walk more. People feeling self-righteous about driving EVs are just fooling themselves. The real focus should be on reducing the need for transport, and then making transport as light as possible. Imagine how much more fun (and how much more range) we would have if our vehicles weighed 50% (or better yet 25%) of their current weight.
I’d be careful about those stories. While it’s true that EVs likely have higher tire-related emissions, they are lower in local emissions broadly (no tailpipe emissions) and also lower in creating environmental pollutants such as those from brake dust (less brake wear due to regenerative braking).

I’ve seen a ton of ‘hidden cost of EVs’ stories in the media lately, and they feel to me like an attempt to find a unique ‘man bites dog’ angle to the EV story. This is a time-honored media practice, but I feel like it has the unfortunate effect of overstating the problems with EVs and conveniently ignoring the massive emissions and problems of ICE vehicles.

No disagreement that more walking, biking, and public transit are better solutions, but our urban infrastructure still makes cars a really important part of the transportation mix. Electrifying cars and trucks has to be a key part of reducing carbon emissions in the short to medium term

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
I’d be careful about those stories. While it’s true that EVs likely have higher tire-related emissions, they are lower in local emissions broadly (no tailpipe emissions) and also lower in creating environmental pollutants such as those from brake dust (less brake wear due to regenerative braking).

I’ve seen a ton of ‘hidden cost of EVs’ stories in the media lately, and they feel to me like an attempt to find a unique ‘man bites dog’ angle to the EV story. This is a time-honored media practice, but I feel like it has the unfortunate effect of overstating the problems with EVs and conveniently ignoring the massive emissions and problems of ICE vehicles.

No disagreement that more walking, biking, and public transit are better solutions, but our urban infrastructure still makes cars a really important part of the transportation mix. Electrifying cars and trucks has to be a key part of reducing carbon emissions in the short to medium term
I have both ICE and EV. I agree that the story sort of misses the point, just as most do, which is why walking and weight should be the focus in my opinion. I choose to live in the city rather than the suburbs so that I can reduce commute and even walk. Nothing better than walking to and from dinner. No guilt from the wine or hassle from the Uber experience