Gwaihir

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Just happened to be at a Porsche centre today (ordering a ST GTS) and on getting into my 4S had a warning of “Electrical failure, park the car up“! No drive was possible. So good luck being at a centre. I was advised to lock car and wait 15 minutes, have a coffee and all should be good. Waited the 15 minutes, tried a re-start but to no avail. Still not working. workshop help called (rather than sales) and lo and behold all working! Apparently you need to wait 20 minutes for the system to reset. When the technician checked the fault log, no faults being current, so the system was back to normal.

So it seems glitches can happen and as a safety measure the high voltage drive system is then shut down rather than risk a high energy fault. So if any of you see this fault just lock the car, stand outside in the cold for 20 minutes. or more, and all should be fine. . . . .
Well here we go again! Parked up while my wife went shopping and decided to turn the car on for a bit of warmth, guess what? Yes, high voltage RED fault again and the required 20 minute wait before it reset. No good. Will be collected 4th Jan. I’ll keep the forum updated on progress.

what would be good to know is has anybody else had the problem? More importantly, have they had it fixed?

I hope the outcome doesn’t effect the GTS order! Starting to wonder about the EQS 4WD. . . . . .
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gwaihir

Gwaihir

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Well here we go again! Parked up while my wife went shopping and decided to turn the car on for a bit of warmth, guess what? Yes, high voltage RED fault again and the required 20 minute wait before it reset. No good. Will be collected 4th Jan. I’ll keep the forum updated on progress.

what would be good to know is has anybody else had the problem? More importantly, have they had it fixed?

I hope the outcome doesn’t effect the GTS order! Starting to wonder about the EQS 4WD. . . . . .
Here we go yet again. Car was returned last week with H/V unit replaced as the cause of the Electrical System Fault issue. Unfortunately, not the case! Yet again I’m sitting in the car waiting the 20 minutes for the fault to clear. I’ll be having words with the dealership Monday. . . . .

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gwaihir

Gwaihir

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Here we go yet again. Car was returned last week with H/V unit replaced as the cause of the Electrical System Fault issue. Unfortunately, not the case! Yet again I’m sitting in the car waiting the 20 minutes for the fault to clear. I’ll be having works with the dealership Monday. . . . .
And things continue. Porsche Germany are sending a replacement HV battery and mine will be returned. Makes you wonder what the root problem is? If it was a couple of cells below balance voltage I would have thought they alone would be replaced, as the battery pack was designed to be modular. I’m starting to think it’s more fundamental than a faulty cell. I wonder if it’s an electronics issue within the battery pack? Hopefully, car will be fixed soon. . .

Bigben

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover L405 4.4L SDV8, VW T-ROC R, Yamaha FZ8
Country flag
What it tells me is that a 3rd party warranty on a 2020-2021 Taycan will cost a fortune in the future and might not even cover the battery!
But then you’d have to be pretty daring to buy one without cover.
Looking at the price of early Model S now out of battery warranty it doesn’t bode well for residual value past 5-6 years (if you haven’t had to fork £20k out for a new one yourself before then)!

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
What it tells me is that a 3rd party warranty on a 2020-2021 Taycan will cost a fortune in the future and might not even cover the battery!
But then you’d have to be pretty daring to buy one without cover.
Looking at the price of early Model S now out of battery warranty it doesn’t bode well for residual value past 5-6 years (if you haven’t had to fork £20k out for a new one yourself before then)!
Battery has an 8 year warranty and I guess most people won't hang on to this kind of 'tech' beyond that and possibly Porsche will replace the battery at that stage.

Bigben

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover L405 4.4L SDV8, VW T-ROC R, Yamaha FZ8
Country flag
Battery has an 8 year warranty and I guess most people won't hang on to this kind of 'tech' beyond that and possibly Porsche will replace the battery at that stage.
True - just thinking about the type of buyer I have been in the past (looking for c.3yo approved used and selling privately about 2-3 years later) and I could see how it could be a massive risk both in terms of reliability and resale value to pick a Taycan.

Reminds me of the N47 2.0L BMW Diesel engines plagued with timing chain issues or Audi 2.0 TFSI drinking 1L of oil each 500 miles, but hopefully Porsche is on the case to fix - at least - the hardware issues. Software can always be improved OTA later…

OP
OP
Gwaihir

Gwaihir

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
I think we will both find out later in the year regarding residual value when our GTS’s arrive!

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
True - just thinking about the type of buyer I have been in the past (looking for c.3yo approved used and selling privately about 2-3 years later) and I could see how it could be a massive risk both in terms of reliability and resale value to pick a Taycan.

Reminds me of the N47 2.0L BMW Diesel engines plagued with timing chain issues or Audi 2.0 TFSI drinking 1L of oil each 500 miles, but hopefully Porsche is on the case to fix - at least - the hardware issues. Software can always be improved OTA later…
I don't think it will be too bad - you can purchase a Porsche Approved warranty direct and sell with the car. Not sure on costs but for 2 years I'd guess £2.5K.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
I don't see it being a concern.

8 year warranty - but I expect by then replacement / p/x batteries will be much cheaper and it will be commonplace on older EVs.

And most cars will be EVs, so the tech will catch up.

The Tesla Model S was ahead of its time and pretty much an outlier in this respect. That won't be the case with the current cars.

Saw this in the news yesterday. Gives an idea of the possible future for EV batteries in general....
https://m.futurecar.com/5139/Chinas...New-EV-Battery-Swapping-Service-in-Ten-Cities

Last edited:

Suzanne Burke

First Name
Suzanne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan
Country flag
I received the dreaded "red electrical alert " on my 2022 Taycan and the dealership has had the car for 5 weeks. Porsche sent a 300-page test manual and then asked them to remove the large battery for further testing. Has anyone had any success with this error message repair? I am feeling like I have a lemon!
Sponsored