Electrify America ..an update (and a disappointment)

OP
OP
RBGtaycan

RBGtaycan

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia EV6; Taycan RWD....Past: 356, Cayman S
Country flag
There are two new EA charging sites near my house. How can I tell if they are 150 or higher? I plugged my Taycan into the nearest charging site and the max I got was 64kw. But there were about 10 other cars charging at the same time.
in my experience, all EA chargers have it posted on the charger..look for a 150 or 350 (these are max rates and not guaranteed) printed on the charger...your actual rate of charge (in your case 64) has to do with a lot of variables inc. what your car is telling the charger about your battery and capacity and if the charger is properly functioning (many are not)
Sponsored

philbur

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1997 911 C2 (993), 2015 Cayenne S, 1978 VW Bus
Country flag
one thing we learned about roadtrip charging is not to just go after the 350 stations! the 150 are also quick and is sometimes faster than finding\driving to a 350. Im sure if we want more stations and chargers per station that would be more 150s as the bulk of installs.

Kayone73

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan CT4S, Kia Telluride EX, Tesla Model Y
Country flag
There are two new EA charging sites near my house. How can I tell if they are 150 or higher? I plugged my Taycan into the nearest charging site and the max I got was 64kw. But there were about 10 other cars charging at the same time.
The kW number is usually pasted right on the front of the charger in big green numbers, big enough to see from your car window

Porsche Taycan Electrify America ..an update (and a disappointment) FB_IMG_1641513040249_1

Last edited:

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
in my experience, all EA chargers have it posted on the charger..look for a 150 or 350 (these are max rates and not guaranteed) printed on the charger...your actual rate of charge (in your case 64) has to do with a lot of variables inc. what your car is telling the charger about your battery and capacity and if the charger is properly functioning (many are not)
I'll take some pics. There is a new EA station near the local Starbucks and Chick-Fil-A but it still has plastic on the charger cords so I guess its not fully up and running.

The one I used has been super busy: its right on the service road of a major highway. I went there on a Sunday and all stations were occupied with a variety of EVs including a Mustang, VW ID, Volvo (didn't catch the model) and a BMW i3.
Sponsored