Electrify America Question

TheFutre

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s (soon), Tesla Model X (me), Tesla Model 3 (wife)
Country flag
New owner here and charged twice at EA locations
Each time I’ve had to call in to get the process working
Each time EA guided me to use the Porsche Connect app to initialize charging however what they describe in the app for locating a charging station is not shown in my app
Could this be a 2021 Taycan / App feature that I’m missing with my 2020 Taycan?
Both times I successfully used the Charging NA app, just start getting to me they keep pushing me to use the Porsche Connect App
Sponsored

ThumbsUp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Taycan Turbo S; ‘20 Taycan Turbo (gone)
Country flag
New owner here and charged twice at EA locations
Each time I’ve had to call in to get the process working
Each time EA guided me to use the Porsche Connect app to initialize charging however what they describe in the app for locating a charging station is not shown in my app
Could this be a 2021 Taycan / App feature that I’m missing with my 2020 Taycan?
Both times I successfully used the Charging NA app, just start getting to me they keep pushing me to use the Porsche Connect App
Out of frustration, for my last two EA charging sessions, I’ve not used an app and have made card payment rather than go through the hassle and time consumption of calling EA because of continued app issues. Yes, I’m paying for what supposedly is free, but it’s hassle free this way.

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Out of frustration, for my last two EA charging sessions, I’ve not used an app and have made card payment rather than go through the hassle and time consumption of calling EA because of continued app issues. Yes, I’m paying for what supposedly is free, but it’s hassle free this way.
It takes a minute, maybe two, to get EA to get a charge started and they are super friendly.

ThumbsUp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Taycan Turbo S; ‘20 Taycan Turbo (gone)
Country flag
It takes a minute, maybe two, to get EA to get a charge started and they are super friendly.
Yes, they are super friendly however, more often than not, it has taken significantly longer for me.

NormF

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, 911 Targa 4S, MachE
Country flag
Out of interest, how many Kw did these EA chargers deliver? Waiting for Electrify Canada chargers to show up in our area, so interested in what charging performance to expect.

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Audi E-tron
Country flag
You need to use the Charging America App. Just find the charging station on the map, and then select the specific charger you want to use. Follow the instruction on the App and Charger screen.

I've used the app about 8 times with no issues to get my 30 minutes of free charging. It's annoying Porsche requires a second app to get the free charging. Hopefully they merge it with the Porsche Connect App in the future like Audi did with the E-tron.

The best backup option is to install the Electrify America App on your phone and add their RFID card to your phone's wallet. As a back up you can simply hold your phone up to the charger to activate. However you will be paying out of pocket in this scenario. This does not require cell service, so if you were in a remote location and having trouble connecting to the Charging America App, this would be the way to go.

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
You need to use the Charging America App. Just find the charging station on the map, and then select the specific charger you want to use. Follow the instruction on the App and Charger screen.

I've used the app about 8 times with no issues to get my 30 minutes of free charging. It's annoying Porsche requires a second app to get the free charging. Hopefully they merge it with the Porsche Connect App in the future like Audi did with the E-tron.

The best backup option is to install the Electrify America App on your phone and add their RFID card to your phone's wallet. As a back up you can simply hold your phone up to the charger to activate. However you will be paying out of pocket in this scenario. This does not require cell service, so if you were in a remote location and having trouble connecting to the Charging America App, this would be the way to go.
you don’t need two apps. You can charge from the Porsche connect app

go to bottom left, hit explore, then find the charger you want and start charging from there

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Out of interest, how many Kw did these EA chargers deliver? Waiting for Electrify Canada chargers to show up in our area, so interested in what charging performance to expect.
Most of the Electrify America charging stations in the US have several 350kW chargers. Usually two at each location.

Here is a map of the 350kW charging locations in North America. You can see there are actually a decent amount in Canada along the Southern border.

Electrify America has much better 350kW charging coverage than Tesla has V3 charging coverage. Tesla has been slow to upgrade their V2 chargers (150kW max) to the V3 (250kW).

350kW CCS charger Map
Porsche Taycan Electrify America Question Image 11-30-20 at 5.45 AM

Tesla V3 Charger map
Porsche Taycan Electrify America Question Image 11-30-20 at 5.48 AM

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
you don’t need two apps. You can charge from the Porsche connect app

go to bottom left, hit explore, then find the charger you want and start charging from there
I now see that. Is that a recent change to the Porsche App? When I picked up my Taycan I was told to only use the Charging America app for the free charging. Maybe they changed things.

NormF

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, 911 Targa 4S, MachE
Country flag
Thanks for the info. However, I don’t think they actually output 350 Kw. My question was about what is the actual output (Which can vary widely depending on the grid they are connected to). The actual Kw usually displays on the screen during charging. It also appears to me that the Taycan slows down the charging rate after 65% SOC, and certainly after 85% SOC.

OP
OP
TheFutre

TheFutre

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s (soon), Tesla Model X (me), Tesla Model 3 (wife)
Country flag
The peak will be roughly 270 kw
I came from Tesla-land and I can attest the overall charging time is much faster with EA

Thanks for the info. However, I don’t think they actually output 350 Kw. My question was about what is the actual output (Which can vary widely depending on the grid they are connected to). The actual Kw usually displays on the screen during charging. It also appears to me that the Taycan slows down the charging rate after 65% SOC, and certainly after 85% SOC.

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
Neither of the Porsche apps (Charging NA or Porsche Connect) work very well. They used to NOT work at all but both have had recent updates (past 30 days). I believe Porsche is trying to move folks away from Charging NA and onto Porsche Connect. They are obviously VERY CHALLENGED in getting ANY apps to work and I think they want to cut their exposure in half by moving everyone onto Porsche Connect. (At least then its only one app thats not working properly). As you are supposed to be able to start a charge from Porsche Connect as well, I would bet that Charging NA will be "retired" before too long...

Just yesterday, I went out for a little day trip and just for a "destination" drove to an EA charger about 60 miles away. Although I was able (eventually) to get the Porsche Connect app to initiate a charge, it quickly stated that the charging session was stopped/disconnected (although the car and charging terminal indicated otherwise). So, the Porsche Connect app is still messed up to some degree...

It should be noted, that if you don't have time to f*ck around with the Porsche stuff, you know - like on a long road trip, you are much better off just using the Electrify America app. IMHO: its worth paying for the charge just to avoid all the frustration with the Porsche App(s)....

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
The peak will be roughly 270 kw
I came from Tesla-land and I can attest the overall charging time is much faster with EA
You will have to be pretty well depleted to see anything higher than 150KW (like maybe 10-15% SOC). You will otherwise see around 100-150KW from about 25% up to about 80-85% where the charge really starts to taper off.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for 350KW chargers but folks need to understand you will seldom see them deliver anything more than a 150KW charger...

Cpoarchy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 911, taycan 4s
Country flag
Yes, they are super friendly however, more often than not, it has taken significantly longer for me.
I charged yesterday at EA, (with the EA app) had been a while, it looked different, but connected great. But, I have used the same location and charging was slower and I know range

fran9d

First Name
Fran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4s
Country flag
Hello - watching this as well. I used the Porsche connect app twice to gain access to 30 minutes of charging at a specific charger. With one of these successful sessions my credit card was charged a small overage. Everything was working great.
Now when I go to this same charger (EA verifies nothing wrong with charger itself) my connect app says - "Porsche Charging Service E-Station not available". Red Box and does not initiate the session.
I spoke with EA and they confirm that there is nothing wrong with the charger but that there is something not working with the app.
Have called Porsche and opened a ticket but no one seems to know what to do at this point. Been tihs way for over a month now.
Anyone else having similar issues? Any thoughts greatly appreciated.
Sponsored