jkjjpc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 BMW X5 40i, 2020 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Country flag
I am looking for feedback on dealer service experiences in the Washington DC area.

I purchased my '21 4S from Tysons Corner in April and have been very disappointed with the service department. When I took the car in for the first big software update back in the late spring/early summer they kept the car for about a week and when they returned the car there were scratches on the front bumper (I later learned there were also scratches on the left front fender too). After a bit of back and forth I managed to get them to repaint the bumper at no charge.

I took the car in last Wednesday (9/8) for the recall motor control unit software update, which people say can be done in an hour or two. I had scheduled the appointment weeks in advance with the recall coordinator by phone. When I dropped the car off I was considering waiting for it, but the service advisor said it might take up to a week. I questioned why it would take so long and was told it was due to the "wait to get into the shop." That seems odd, what is the point of a reservation? I took a loaner. I texted the service advisor on Tuesday of this week (9/14) for an update. He did not respond even though he had texted me when I dropped off the car so I would have his contact info. I called yesterday (9/16) and got his voice mail message, which noted the best way to contact him was via text. I left a message and asked for a return call. Having not heard back this morning, I texted him again. So far no response. So, they have had the car for a week and a half for a 1.5 hour software update. As and aside, during that time I have received 2-3 OTA updates to my Tesla Model 3P.

So, I don't even know if the car has made it into the shop, let alone when the update may be completed. I do have a loaner Cayenne, but if I had wanted a Cayenne I would have bought a Cayenne! (As another aside, I have been very surprised by the rough downshifting of the transmission in the base Cayenne.)

So, for future repairs I would like to take the car to a more responsive and customer service oriented dealer, if that exists, in the DC area. I can easily go to Bethesda, Silver Spring, Arlington, Sterling, etc.

So, feedback on experience with other DC dealer service departments would be welcomed.

John
Sponsored

f10tt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan, 2022 Cayenne, 2021 Bronco
Country flag
Chantilly Sales - Terrible. The worst experience I've ever had.

Chantilly Service - Miles ahead of any other area dealer imo.

My order is currently in with Tysons because Chantilly sales took me for somebody I wasn't. But their service department treated us well for the few months we had a Cayman earlier this year.

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Tysons Corner: I had the pre-delivery service and the WMA5 multi-day software update performed there. The master mechanic used his German fluency to find an undocumented setting in PIWIS to disable the trunk close beeper as part of my pre-delivery checklist. When I dropped my Taycan off for the WMA5 update, the service technician noticed a curbed wheel and called to check if it was pre-existing (it was). I didn't need a loaner car so they got me an Uber instead. Overall good service in my limited experience.

Chantilly: I had the recent safety recall software update performed there. Service was good, and the upstairs lounge overlooking the service bay is pretty cool. The downside is that I received endless emails and letters asking me to respond to the J.D. Power survey but contact them first if there's the slightest thing wrong, etc. I've seen how numeric survey scores are taken to an absurd extreme in the automotive business so I only answer free-form text surveys now. This is what can happen if you give less than a perfect "10", which makes the survey too agonizing for my brain:

OP
OP

jkjjpc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 BMW X5 40i, 2020 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Country flag
As a follow up, my car was finally ready yesterday. So, 8 work days in the shop for the recall update. My sales advisor told me they only have one "gold" level technician qualified to work on the Taycan and that they have many Taycan lined up waiting to get into the shop. I noted that I would have preferred to have my car "wait" with me at home until it could get into the shop rather than sit at the dealership while I drove their Cayenne loaner.

So far post update all seems to be working fine.

tfurbay

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Range Rover, BMW X5
Country flag
Porsche Silver Spring has only been a great experience for me so far. Excellent customer service both during and after the sale. Recall software update was turned around in less than 24 hours.
Sponsored