What do we know about the DC converting process in the Taycan?

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag
I was wondering if anyone had further background on the DC conversion process in the Taycan? I was receiving electrical system faults while on a 400 mile road trip post my 12v battery replacement and software updates, so I took it to my dealership. Besides the electrical faults, my drivers side port also failed, and would not latch onto a charing device to initiate a charging session.

While the dealership confirmed the broken the charger port, they essentially told me the electrical system faults were a figment of my imagination since they could not identify any issues. After hearing their explanation, and realizing that they had no idea what they were talking about, I involved Porsche NA customer relations. They had their master technician reach out to get my repair records, and after reviewing my repair history, ordered a DC power converter replacement in hopes that this would prevent the electric system faults I had been receiving.

It makes sense to me since the DC converter manages the conversion of power from the primary battery to the lower voltage 12v battery, and other car accessories.

I was wondering if anyone knew more about the Taycan DC conversion process, since I am curious to know if there is more than one unit that manages this process? I have to wait for a couple of weeks for this part to come from Germany, so I essentially will lose all of August to drive my car the way I want due to the challenges I have been facing. This just compounds my frustration with the vehicle since I also lost almost 3 weeks earlier in the summer after my 12v battery failed. I will have lost more than half the good weather summer months to use my car due to different component failures.
Sponsored

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
I was wondering if anyone had further background on the DC conversion process in the Taycan? I was receiving electrical system faults while on a 400 mile road trip post my 12v battery replacement and software updates, so I took it to my dealership. Besides the electrical faults, my drivers side port also failed, and would not latch onto a charing device to initiate a charging session.

While the dealership confirmed the broken the charger port, they essentially told me the electrical system faults were a figment of my imagination since they could not identify any issues. After hearing their explanation, and realizing that they had no idea what they were talking about, I involved Porsche NA customer relations. They had their master technician reach out to get my repair records, and after reviewing my repair history, ordered a DC power converter replacement in hopes that this would prevent the electric system faults I had been receiving.

It makes sense to me since the DC converter manages the conversion of power from the primary battery to the lower voltage 12v battery, and other car accessories.

I was wondering if anyone knew more about the Taycan DC conversion process, since I am curious to know if there is more than one unit that manages this process? I have to wait for a couple of weeks for this part to come from Germany, so I essentially will lose all of August to drive my car the way I want due to the challenges I have been facing. This just compounds my frustration with the vehicle since I also lost almost 3 weeks earlier in the summer after my 12v battery failed. I will have lost more than half the good weather summer months to use my car due to different component failures.
That really sucks! Sorry to hear it.

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag

Jalopnik did a deep technical dive article late last year. It’s good reading. It might answer some of your questions.

I always take pictures of the error messages that my car throws up. That way I have a date/time stamp to give to my service department when they look through the car’s logs.

r553

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
981 Spyder, 2015 Cayenne Diesel, 2020 Taycan 4s
Country flag
High-voltage components and peripheral devices Taycan Turbo/Turbo S
MY 2020 (Y1A) 2.4 Voltage levels in the Taycan

The Taycan has several voltage levels in order to supply all high-voltage and low-voltage
components with energy. These are shown below (simplified):
1. High-voltage auxiliary heater 800 V
2. PDCC: 48 V
3. High-voltage converter: Conversion of 800 V to 400 V, 48 V and 12 V
4. Voltage converter high-voltage booster (HV booster) Conversion of 400 V to 800 V
5. High-voltage A/C compressor: 400 V
6. Front power electronics: 800 V
7. Electric motor with flanged-on 1-speed transmission
8. High-voltage charger: Conversion of AC input (country-dependent voltage level) to
800 V DC
9. High-voltage battery
10. Rear power electronics
11. Electric drive motor with flanged-on 2-speed transmission
Sponsored