TrisHarris

First Name
Tristan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M4
Country flag
So I took delivery of my Taycan 5 weeks ago and I’m already getting extremely frustrated with it and our charging infrastructure here in the UK.

The car is fantastic to drive and feels like a quality bit of engineering but the range is proving to be an issue. I went for the larger battery but I am only seeing 210 miles range at the moment which is well below the claimed range even minus the 20% allowance for the cold weather at the moment. I’ve also had a few error messages thrown up although they have generally cleared if I leave it for 30mins and come back to it - not that this should be required or acceptable for a car of this value.

The next issue is around our charging infrastructure here in the UK. I have a charge point at home (Hypervolt) which works brilliantly and delivers what it says but out in the wild charging has been an issue. Some of the issues so far with this:

1) chargers which are situated at the side of a parking bay - can be on the wrong side of the car to connect to the CCS port - why didn’t Porsche put this on both sides?!

2) broken chargers - getting somewhere and the charger is out of service meaning you have to waste time trying to find another nearby. Anxiety inducing when you’re somewhere you don’t know well and the range is low.

3) other EV drivers who leave their cars plugged in for hours with no consideration for others. It seems to be those silly Tesla MPV looking things normally.

Writing this as I’m extremely frustrated waiting to be recovered by the AA as my car has refused to charge at 4 different chargers at 3 different services and I’ve completely run out of charge…

Sorry for the moan / vent. Anyone else had issues like this or have I had an unlucky 5 weeks?
Sponsored

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list. Includes a MY23 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Jesus man. Sorry to hear that. I don't own a Taycan yet so can't tell you anything regarding charging problems BUT I can tell you about #3 (at least here in Portugal). I've witnessed several times people leaving their EVs fully charged at a charging station impeding access of other EV drivers to the service (even saw ICE cars parking at those spots). In any case, at least here, stations are now being fitted with signs stating "In charge" which legally allows the police to tow any car that isn't actively charging.​
Those abusive ICE and EV owners who let their cars parked for hours at those stations are quickly learning to avoid those spots as they seriously risk not finding their car when they return. Angry EV drivers are happy to call the cops on them.​
Good luck 🤞

icedup51

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S MY22 and Abarth 595 Trofero:
Country flag
So I took delivery of my Taycan 5 weeks ago and I’m already getting extremely frustrated with it and our charging infrastructure here in the UK.

The car is fantastic to drive and feels like a quality bit of engineering but the range is proving to be an issue. I went for the larger battery but I am only seeing 210 miles range at the moment which is well below the claimed range even minus the 20% allowance for the cold weather at the moment. I’ve also had a few error messages thrown up although they have generally cleared if I leave it for 30mins and come back to it - not that this should be required or acceptable for a car of this value.

The next issue is around our charging infrastructure here in the UK. I have a charge point at home (Hypervolt) which works brilliantly and delivers what it says but out in the wild charging has been an issue. Some of the issues so far with this:

1) chargers which are situated at the side of a parking bay - can be on the wrong side of the car to connect to the CCS port - why didn’t Porsche put this on both sides?!

2) broken chargers - getting somewhere and the charger is out of service meaning you have to waste time trying to find another nearby. Anxiety inducing when you’re somewhere you don’t know well and the range is low.

3) other EV drivers who leave their cars plugged in for hours with no consideration for others. It seems to be those silly Tesla MPV looking things normally.

Writing this as I’m extremely frustrated waiting to be recovered by the AA as my car has refused to charge at 4 different chargers at 3 different services and I’ve completely run out of charge…

Sorry for the moan / vent. Anyone else had issues like this or have I had an unlucky 5 weeks?
Had mine 9 months now and have to agree on the charging network, it leaves a lot to be desired.
Although do most charging at home the times I've needed to charge on route hasn't proved easy. Chargers out of commission and having to find alternatives on low remaining charge, makes you understand 'range anxiety'.
Also had 2 chargers stop working not sure there if it was a fault with the 150k onboard charger and didnt understand the error code it gave. Then I couldn't retrieve the error code from the app! I haven't had the opportunity to try a fast charge since so the jury is out on that.
Dont get me wrong love the car but have I gone to early fully electric and with the price of charging on route likey to be more expensive than petrol it's hard to justify not going back to ICE car.
I think range drop in cold weather is well reported but it does come as a shock when you see the difference. You read about it before you get the car but real life is another story.

OP
OP

TrisHarris

First Name
Tristan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M4
Country flag
Had mine 9 months now and have to agree on the charging network, it leaves a lot to be desired.
Although do most charging at home the times I've needed to charge on route hasn't proved easy. Chargers out of commission and having to find alternatives on low remaining charge, makes you understand 'range anxiety'.
Also had 2 chargers stop working not sure there if it was a fault with the 150k onboard charger and didnt understand the error code it gave. Then I couldn't retrieve the error code from the app! I haven't had the opportunity to try a fast charge since so the jury is out on that.
Dont get me wrong love the car but have I gone to early fully electric and with the price of charging on route likey to be more expensive than petrol it's hard to justify not going back to ICE car.
I think range drop in cold weather is well reported but it does come as a shock when you see the difference. You read about it before you get the car but real life is another story.
Im glad it’s not just me then!

I charged at a Tesla dealer in Birmingham on Wednesday (after 2 others local didn’t work) and even that wasn’t great. It peaked at just over 52kw which was frustrating seen as I’d opted for the upgraded on board charger for just that scenario!

agree on charging prices too. It works out only just cheaper than putting fuel in an ICE and the 5p per mile you get for business travel doesn’t even cover charging at home never mind paying 70p per kWh at service stations!

kmcdonal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan 350Z, Subaru WRX
Country flag
Are you actually getting low range or is the computer just telling you that the range is going to be 210? Often the computer starts off with very cautious estimates at first.

OP
OP

TrisHarris

First Name
Tristan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M4
Country flag
136 miles from 80% charge today. But that included 2 hours at a standstill on the motorway this morning.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag

Sorry, but what’s stopping you from just turning around and backing in to the spot?

Also, where are you seeing Porsche claiming a range of 262 miles (210 assuming 20% weather loss)?

Finally, were you not aware of everything you mentioned before you bought the car? All of those issues have been discussed on the Interwebs for almost two years now.

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan Turbo, Eletre R (on order)
Country flag
Having had 5 years of free supercharging courtesy of Tesla, I may be in for a slightly rude awakening when I’m forced to (mostly) use public and paid for charging with the Taycan.

Saying that, at least my home and work charging is well shaken down and up to the task. If I couldn’t “destination” charge then I wouldn’t be driving an EV, simple as that.

It saddens me that public EV charging infrastructure, on the whole is frankly….well sub par. I had hoped it would improve in the time I’ve been driving EVs but it’s clearly got a long way to go.

OP
OP

TrisHarris

First Name
Tristan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M4
Country flag
Sorry, but what’s stopping you from just turning around and backing in to the spot?

Also, where are you seeing Porsche claiming a range of 262 miles (210 assuming 20% weather loss)?

Finally, were you not aware of everything you mentioned before you bought the car? All of those issues have been discussed on the Interwebs for almost two years now.
The cable wouldn’t reach to the front of the car when I tried to back in.

Porsche claim a range of 305 miles for my model. So 20% (if that is a reasonable loss for the weather) should give me around 244 miles of range.

I was aware of some of the issues but plenty of EV owners reassure you that they are just horror stories and not representative of the majority.

TAYC4S

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911C4S; Jag F-TypeR; Taycan4S; Turbo+992 (ordered)
Country flag

First of all, if you have had your car 5 weeks, its possible that the car has not even optimised the range prediction based on driving style, conditions and most importantly, regen once the brakes have bedded in. This has been covered on various forums for years. It took 1-2 months of driving before regen was fully turned on for my car - you know when you brake and you get a full green bar showing on the centre dash - you can even see the regen marker increasing over time to tell you how ready the car is.

Secondly, if you use the Ionity network along with the sat nav for the car, not only will it prepare the car for charging before you arrive but it will tell you how many Ionity charging points are actually available - including the ones in use.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
The cable wouldn’t reach to the front of the car when I tried to back in.

Porsche claim a range of 305 miles for my model. So 20% (if that is a reasonable loss for the weather) should give me around 244 miles of range.

I was aware of some of the issues but plenty of EV owners reassure you that they are just horror stories and not representative of the majority.
The charging cable is less than 10 ft long?

Also, where do you see Porsche claiming 305 miles for any Taycan? The best EPA rating is around 242 miles, while the AMCI best is 278. And those are both for the most efficient spec driven in an efficient manner in perfect temps. 210 miles in winter temps is actually good relative to Porsche claims.

305 miles is a joke. You would need perfect everything to hit that in a Taycan.

OP
OP

TrisHarris

First Name
Tristan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M4
Country flag
First of all, if you have had your car 5 weeks, its possible that the car has not even optimised the range prediction based on driving style, conditions and most importantly, regen once the brakes have bedded in. This has been covered on various forums for years. It took 1-2 months of driving before regen was fully turned on for my car - you know when you brake and you get a full green bar showing on the centre dash - you can even see the regen marker increasing over time to tell you how ready the car is.

Secondly, if you use the Ionity network along with the sat nav for the car, not only will it prepare the car for charging before you arrive but it will tell you how many Ionity charging points are actually available - including the ones in use.
Yes that could be true. The regen bar does appear to be at max now (I’ve done just under 2,000 miles).

I was using the sat nav today and it was good at suggesting routes and chargers but clearly that doesn’t matter when the car decides it doesn’t want to accept any charge at all!

OP
OP

TrisHarris

First Name
Tristan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M4
Country flag
The charging cable is less than 10 ft long?

Also, where do you see Porsche claiming 305 miles for any Taycan? The best EPA rating is around 242 miles, while the AMCI best is 278. And those are both for the most efficient spec driven in an efficient manner in perfect temps. 210 miles in winter temps is actually good relative to Porsche claims.

305 miles is a joke. You would need perfect everything to hit that in a Taycan.
I haven’t come here to get argumentative. I know the vast majority will love everything about their Taycan I’m only sharing my experience.

it was an InstaVolt charger and the cable wouldn’t reach (not even close) - what else do you want me to say? Are you questioning my parking skills?

porsche claims 305 miles on their Website for a rwd taycan sport turismo.

TAYC4S

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911C4S; Jag F-TypeR; Taycan4S; Turbo+992 (ordered)
Country flag
Yes that could be true. The regen bar does appear to be at max now (I’ve done just under 2,000 miles).

I was using the sat nav today and it was good at suggesting routes and chargers but clearly that doesn’t matter when the car decides it doesn’t want to accept any charge at all!
Great re: regen etc - I cannot comment on the car not wanting to take charge other than to say after the last s/w update I had the same issue and when the car was returned to Porsche the advise I think was to reset one of the charging components I think - its on one of the other threads associated with me - I reported it on here so others could get a quick fix for this issue.

Other than that, I do think your range should improve with time but of course many things will always impact that.
Sponsored