Is my love waning already?

Bazza

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne hybrid V6 (Taycan on order)
Country flag
Wow!! I'm late onto this particular forum ... its enough to put one off buying a Taycan or for that matter ANY Porsche!!
As for 'price of car equals (or should) reliability' - one interesting stat in the UK is that the least reliable brand is Bentley, while the most reliable is Rolls Royce. Go figure!
However, among the 8 LEAST reliable brands in the UK (2021) are all the luxury brands...
Range Rover
Jaguar
Porsche
Mercedes
Alfa
Audi
BMW

Among the MOST reliable are the budget brands...
Toyota
Honda
Hyundai

So there you go, you pays your money and takes your car choice, but obv most people don't look at the reliability of the brand first.

In the meantime I'm hacked off having already waited 6 months for my Taycan and still no sight of even the lock-in date date, never mind the production date :(
Sponsored

nikc

First Name
Nik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cross Turismo
Country flag
Do you even know what Porsche’s core competency is? Do you know it’s history and overarching philosophy?
Is it "Make a car that you can get in and drive without thinking <<What's going to go wrong on this trip?>>" ?

Because with my experience so far, they've singularly failed at that.

OP
OP
MarkG_M5

MarkG_M5

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M5 Comp, Taycan ordered
Country flag
Is it "Make a car that you can get in and drive without thinking <<What's going to go wrong on this trip?>>" ?

Because with my experience so far, they've singularly failed at that.
In fact they stand for light, rear engined, rear wheel drive, positive camber front end (sharp handling), negative camber rear (stable) cars…. The Taycan, Cayenne, Macan and Panamera are none of these!

So let’s just enjoy our 2.5 tonne, heavily compromised but rather impressive cars… with lots of compromise ?

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
In fact they stand for light, rear engined, rear wheel drive, positive camber front end (sharp handling), negative camber rear (stable) cars…. The Taycan, Cayenne, Macan and Panamera are none of these!

So let’s just enjoy our 2.5 tonne, heavily compromised but rather impressive cars… with lots of compromise ?
Stand for? I said core competency. What is Porsche’s core competency? What is the DNA that made them successful?

It’s engine design. Porsche has always been a engineering company who biggest strength was its internal combustion engine design and, secondly, its chassis engineering. It’s never been about luxury or software. It’s been a function over form engineering driven company focused on building cars that are rewarding to drive. It’s never been focused on designing a product targeted at the whiner who’s more focused on whether Apple Car Play loads immediately than how the car performs, and it never will be. Those customers are making a mistake buying a Porsche in the first place.

Mysta

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S - 2020
Country flag
My biggest complaint with the sedan is it's not a hatch. If it was a hatch instead of a trunk it would be perfect. I like the climate control, I never use the rest of interface except for carplay. It's super comfortable. I went and test drove a panamera turbo s and honestly liked it then I got back in the taycan and i was like wow this is just better in every way minus if you like the sound of a v8(which is fair). The only pro really is that panamera non wagon's have a hatch. Big miss on porsche's part.

Dslev

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Do you even know what Porsche’s core competency is? Do you know it’s history and overarching philosophy?

If you did, you wouldn’t be surprised by wonky software or crappy wireless charging capabilities. You can complain all you want, but you shouldn’t be surprised. Porsche doesn’t command six figure prices based on its nav system, so you shouldn’t expect they spend as much time and effort on it as they do other aspects of the car.

Simple case of expectations and reality being divergent.
I respectfully disagree, what occurred was Porsche rested on their laurels, and didn't anticipate the new breed (electric tech owners) would actually want the tech to work, this was told to me by Porsche, so now they are playing catch up and having to engineer a car and tech that work together somewhat seamlessly, which is what they promised, but never delivered. Don't fool yourself that we are buying just a competent car in the Taycan, the tech is super important to its operation and long term viability of its systems, including the batteries. You buy a 911 for the car, and I've owned 23 new ones and they are spectacular, I bought the Taycan for the car and tech, which honestly cannot be separated. I've had my car since August, in the shop for months and multiple times (currently they are replacing the main central computer after just being in the shop for 3 weeks replacing the drivers display and control units), all errors were "required service" not just some "whiny" complaints (although there are many of those they have been unable to fix as well). And to your point of Porsche's core competency being combustion engines, true, but if they get into the electric car (tech) game, that core competency MUST transfer over to the motors and tech that operates and supports the vehicle, which in this case they have failed to do. We all should "expect" exceptional operation of all their systems, engine, motor, drivability and tech, and they should want and deliver that as well. That is the reality.

Last edited:

Mysta

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S - 2020
Country flag
I respectfully disagree, what occurred was Porsche rested on their laurels, and didn't anticipate the new breed (electric tech owners) would actually want the tech to work, this was told to me by Porsche, so now they are playing catch up and having to engineer a car and tech that work together somewhat seamlessly, which is what they promised, but never delivered on. Don't fool yourself that we are buying just a competent car in the Taycan, the tech is super important to its operation and long term viability of the its systems, including the batteries. You buy a 911 for the car, and I've owned 23 new ones and they are spectacular, I bought the Taycan for the car and tech, which honestly cannot be separated. I've had my car since August, in the shop for months and multiple times (currently they are replacing the central computer after just being in the shop for 3 weeks replacing the drivers display and control unit), all errors were "required service" not just some "whiny" complaints (although there are many of those they have been unable to fix as well). And to your point of Porsche's core competency is combustion engines, true, but if they get into the electric car (tech) game, that core competency MUST transfer over to the motors and tech that operates and supports the vehicle, which in this case they have failed to do.
Hmm, I agree about the MMI being a bit behind although it works for me(and honestly I haven't sat in a single Porsche that felt like the MMI was good until Taycan).

But the battery/motor are ahead by far tbh, the cooling is huge. There's some things people are passing now with ingenuity but As someone who's road tripped in TONS of EV. None have been as comfortable on long stretches and simultaneously blasted through the mountains for 100s of miles with high regen, braking, and acceleration and made it without tons of thermal throttling. I also stopped WAY less than in my Tesla's because those are optimized for lots of short stops with their charge curve.

My girlfriend who doesn't care about cars to the point where she will stop at the first blue car we come across while returning to the car, mentioned without prompt "This is way better to trip in than the Teslas".

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Geez. The shit people complain about on this forum.

Sell it. Buy a Tesla. Or a Honda.
Inexcusable for a 200K car to have all the problems that these have. Tesla ? Honda ?? How about waiting for the EQS AMG or the S63e that will eventually be coming.

batteredhaddock

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT since 8th April 22
Country flag

In the meantime I'm hacked off having already waited 6 months for my Taycan and still no sight of even the lock-in date date, never mind the production date :(
Sounds like your dealer was the type of sales person that doesn’t set expectations. When I ordered mine in September he said probably 9-12 months being realistic and that was what I expected, In the end it may be about 7 months. That was sooner than I expected but possibly as I’d switched to a Turbo after ordering when they had more 4S slots booked. Of course now with the terrible events in Ukraine, then I wouldn’t expect anything to be sooner sadly. Friend ordered an ID3, they were already slipping massively due to demand and supply and of course now affected by Ukraine even before Porsche.

Think will sadly be a case of either waiting but knowing something great is coming, or considering something not impacted as much by the bellend in Moscow. That choice may narrow further if power supply rolling blackouts hit much of Europe.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Inexcusable for a 200K car to have all the problems that these have. Tesla ? Honda ?? How about waiting for the EQS AMG or the S63e that will eventually be coming.
:CWL: Yeah, those Mercs are sure to be trouble free…

And again, your confusing luxury and performance. Anyone considering an EQS isn’t really a typical Porsche customer. They’re more Audi than Porsche. Again, proving my point that many Taycan owners aren’t long time Porschephiles and the ethos of the car doesn’t resonate with their wants and needs. Nothing wrong with that, except complaining about it.

AlexG

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
993, iPace, Taycan(s) on order
I've never had anything but quality trouble from German cars (Porsche x1, BMWx1, Audi x1, Mercs x2). Perception over reality. I've never had a single sign of trouble from my Land Rover, Range Rover, and Jaguar. Reality over misperception.

TaycanHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS Sport Turismo (2023)
Country flag
If all else fails, delays and huge price hikes (inevitable unfortunately), I'm getting one of these instead:

Porsche Taycan Is my love waning already? 1646842192756

And no, the final car will look nothing like this concept, but we can dream.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
I've never had anything but quality trouble from German cars (Porsche x1, BMWx1, Audi x1, Mercs x2). Perception over reality. I've never had a single sign of trouble from my Land Rover, Range Rover, and Jaguar. Reality over misperception.
I think that’s more anecdotal vs statistical than reality vs perception.

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My own experience (and it may mean little) is that all my German cars have been very reliable and basically trouble free. Yes there have been issues with them, but not serious in nature. My wifes current Range Rover has been basically trouble free. The Rover before was a total nightmare and Land Rover bought it back. My 911's have always been trouble free and built to take a beating. My Cayennes had a couple issues but were very stout and everything worked as it was supposed to. My Panamera's were very well built and had little to no problems. That said, the taycan has had multiple problems and issues and even after fixed, the glitches are numerous. It's VERY noticeable that the Taycan is significantly different that any other Porsche I have owned.
Sponsored