Wakesurfer

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2023 YukonXL, 2024 Macan S
Country flag
I was driving on a two lane highway approaching a stop light where there is also a left turn lane. I start to slow down for the light and look in my rear view mirror to see a pick-up truck quickly approaching knowing that his speed is too fast to avoid hitting me. He moves over to the left left turn lane but comes very close to my car. As he was approaching and just before he changed lanes the Taycan emergency flashers come on and start blinking. Once he changed lanes and went past me the emergency flashers turned off. Had no clue at first why the flashers turned on and then it hit me that the rear sensors activated the emergency flashers when it looked like an impact was imminent. I guess that I see this as a 'brace yourself' warning. One more thing that I had no idea my car had.
Sponsored

struther

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan GTR, Nissan 350z
Country flag
Good thing you found out about that feature without an actual crash. Nice to know it is there. I also didn’t realize the car had it. At some point I will read the manual. I am sure there are a lot of things that I don’t even realize the car has.

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
I was driving on a two lane highway approaching a stop light where there is also a left turn lane. I start to slow down for the light and look in my rear view mirror to see a pick-up truck quickly approaching knowing that his speed is too fast to avoid hitting me. He moves over to the left left turn lane but comes very close to my car. As he was approaching and just before he changed lanes the Taycan emergency flashers come on and start blinking. Once he changed lanes and went past me the emergency flashers turned off. Had no clue at first why the flashers turned on and then it hit me that the rear sensors activated the emergency flashers when it looked like an impact was imminent. I guess that I see this as a 'brace yourself' warning. One more thing that I had no idea my car had.
It’s alerting the other driver.

OP
OP

Wakesurfer

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It’s alerting the other driver.
That is what I thought at first but there is no way that he could have stopped in time. I would guess that he might have been 30-40 feet behind me at the most when the flashers went off. Even at 20-25 mph it would have been really close. And think of how many times you are in heavy traffic with someone really close behind you. The flashers would be going off whenever the driver behind you gets 'to' close. But don't misunderstand - the guy behind me didn't do anything out of the ordinary - he was approaching rapidly knowing that he would turn into the left turn lane upon reaching it. The Taycan reacted to his fast approach, not having the reasoning power to understand that the entrance to the left turn lane was right next to the Taycan. It was more of a surprise to me when the flashers went off.

kev0927

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Audi E-tron
Country flag
Does your car have ACC?
Trying to see if all Taycans have this or just the ACC ones

Doc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I think this is (strangely) part of lane change assist (the flashy light on the mirrors). I seem to remember reading that on the configuration (although that was the 2020 model).

OP
OP

Wakesurfer

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Does your car have ACC?
Trying to see if all Taycans have this or just the ACC ones
My Taycan does not have ACC. But your question prompted me to look at the Taycan Configurator. I do have Lane Change Assist and here is what the Configurator says............Alerts the driver to vehicles rapidly approaching from behind or vehicles travelling at the same speed in potential blind spots. The warning is emitted by lights in the exterior mirrors. The function is activated by the driver using Porsche Communication Management (PCM). I always see the three yellow boxes in the sideview mirrors when another vehicle is approaching or in the blind spots, just didn't realize that Lane Change Assist also alerts on 'vehicles rapidly approaching from behind'.

OP
OP

Wakesurfer

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think this is (strangely) part of lane change assist (the flashy light on the mirrors). I seem to remember reading that on the configuration (although that was the 2020 model).
Yep!!! Just read the Taycan Configurator and this is a feature of Lane Change Assist. Who knew?

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Taycan also tightens the seat belt and seat (side cushions) when it suspects a collision.
Luckily I didn't hit anything...
It was a bicyclist that suddenly went left, crossing my way cuz he didn't look or heard me coming I guess.
I think it's almost impossible to hit something with a Taycan...lol! (except parking in manoeuvres)

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
Taycan also tightens the seat belt and seat (side cushions) when it suspects a collision.
Luckily I didn't hit anything...
It was a bicyclist that suddenly went left, crossing my way cuz he didn't look or heard me coming I guess.
I think it's almost impossible to hit something with a Taycan...lol! (except parking in manoeuvres)
that’s why i selected sports sound….i guess cyclist would hear you with louder sound?