magnitude

First Name
Heinz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I believe it has to default to "normal" mode on startup because that's the mode that's used to gather WLTP data.
Interesting, I had just assumed it was to provide consistent expectations for the driver, no matter who has driven the car before. But that was just a guess.
Sponsored

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
The 'drive mode' includes suspension settings, so I don't quite agree with the 'absolute' aspect of your assertion - maybe as a personal preference. After all, a mode change is an explicit user action (as in overriding any other current settings): sport+ should mean exactly that, and not "almost S+, except at this location where you lifted 3 months ago".
I agree that changing the level when changing modes makes sense, however saving the lift location tightly coupled with the current driving mode does not. The way I think about it is that "lift" which is saved is intended for clearing obstacles, steep approaches/departures. The purpose of saving the GPS location is so that the car will do it automatically next time you are back at the same location. I don't think anyone saving the lift location is thinking "yep, when I approach this driveway in Normal I want to lift the car, but in Sport Plus I want to re-evaluate whether I want to lift it or let it rub on the ground".

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
I don't think anyone saving the lift location is thinking "yep, when I approach this driveway in Normal I want to lift the car, but in Sport Plus I want to re-evaluate whether I want to lift it or let it rub on the ground".
Quite.
The reverse may be true!

With my CT none of the humps and ramps I regularly go over need the lift function in Normal mode but most do in Sport+, unsurprisingly. Mind you I use Normal in town.

I suppose it would be needed in range mode too, but I didn't try that mode long, very uncomfortable on the Oxfordshire country roads and I have had no need of a small increase in range so far.

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
Another nit: I wish you could both (1) lock the rearview camera in place while reversing instead of having the camera swivel with steering; and (2) select a view that is perpendicular to the rear of the car so that you can clearly see the obstacles behind the car and how much clearance you have. Yes, I know you get an audible alert and a red visual alert, but in tight urban environments, I find that the audible and visual signals are too conservative and result in you leaving too much room behind the car. The swiveling camera can be distracting when you are backing into very tight spots.

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
Another nit: I wish you could both (1) lock the rearview camera in place while reversing instead of having the camera swivel with steering; and (2) select a view that is perpendicular to the rear of the car so that you can clearly see the obstacles behind the car and how much clearance you have. Yes, I know you get an audible alert and a red visual alert, but in tight urban environments, I find that the audible and visual signals are too conservative and result in you leaving too much room behind the car. The swiveling camera can be distracting when you are backing into very tight spots.
I've never noticed mine swivel- what camera option and setting are you using?

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I've never noticed mine swivel- what camera option and setting are you using?
I"ll look. Mine has surround view, so I don't know whether that is one of the reasons why mine swivels.

And to clarify, the issue I am experiencing is when you are backing up to a wall, which I imagine would be fairly common. the issue is that the surround view system "fades out" the wall as if it is not there. I"m not sure whether this is another software issue, but I think it works better if you are outside and there is space around the car apart from the obstacle (like a tree), but that is based on me watching YouTube videos on surround view.

Last edited:

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
I"ll look. Mine has surround view, so I don't know whether that is one of the reasons why mine swivels.

And to clarify, the issue I am experiencing is when you are backing up to a wall, which I imagine would be fairly common. the issue is that the surround view system "fades out" the wall as if it is not there. I"m not sure whether this is another software issue, but I think it works better if you are outside and there is space around the car apart from the obstacle (like a tree), but that is based on me watching YouTube videos on surround view.
Mine is surround view, though not 3D. I'll check it out when I next take it out of the garage.

magnitude

First Name
Heinz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Just to check, you know that even with “only” surround view, there are several icons on the screen that change how the cameras are used?

I haven’t really experimented with them yet, but yesterday I saw that there is a view which only shows the sides of the car, with the camera angle in parallel to the doors. For my garage situation, that sounds useful, will play with that.

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
Just to check, you know that even with “only” surround view, there are several icons on the screen that change how the cameras are used?

I haven’t really experimented with them yet, but yesterday I saw that there is a view which only shows the sides of the car, with the camera angle in parallel to the doors. For my garage situation, that sounds useful, will play with that.
The only view I don't rely upon is the pseudo-overhead one, it seems a bit too vague when precision is important.
Oh, and I've just confirmed that my camera views are fixed- no swivelling or scrolling.

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The only view I don't rely upon is the pseudo-overhead one, it seems a bit too vague when precision is important.
Oh, and I've just confirmed that my camera views are fixed- no swivelling or scrolling.
Mine definitely swivels, although I’m not sure whether that is a settings issue

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Quite.
The reverse may be true!

With my CT none of the humps and ramps I regularly go over need the lift function in Normal mode but most do in Sport+, unsurprisingly. Mind you I use Normal in town.

I suppose it would be needed in range mode too, but I didn't try that mode long, very uncomfortable on the Oxfordshire country roads and I have had no need of a small increase in range so far.
Perhaps the feature you'd like is automatic driving mode changes based on GPS locations?

Btw, Porsche could solve the above by offering "Save lift location for current driving mode" and "Save lift location for all driving modes", or by offering different lift levels, though it would make UX a bit more complex.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Perhaps the feature you'd like is automatic driving mode changes based on GPS locations?
I don’t care really, tbh.
The Taycan has spectacularly more functions than I need or care about already.

Central locking and sat nav are the only “modern” functions I value.

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
Mine definitely swivels, although I’m not sure whether that is a settings issue
Just been back in my car to confirm- we have different surround view functionality- seems there are a few threads on the forum where Porsche's poor description of the options has caused much confusion and exasperation.

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just been back in my car to confirm- we have different surround view functionality- seems there are a few threads on the forum where Porsche's poor description of the options has caused much confusion and exasperation.
That is entirely believable. I’ll look when I go to car at end of day

I just reread the manual and it is pathetic. Sad that you can learn more from forum members and Porsche whisperer videos than from the d@mned manual.

Last edited:

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
Yes, and there is a button which takes the camera out of fisheye + swivel mode; but, as with everything else, it's not a "sticky" setting, and the car will fall back to the default on the next activation.
Sponsored