Heating Failure

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
All Taycan produced before 3/2023?
The TSB for US recall of Taycans for heaters indicated that heaters with a heater manufacture date prior to Feb 14, 2023, needed to be replaced in the Taycans included in the recall.
I don't know what Taycans, including their production dates, were included in either the US or Canadian recalls. I have been told that the recent US heater recall was for 475 Taycans.
My 22 4S, produced in October, 2021, was not included. Its failed heater was replaced in December, 2022.
Sponsored

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
The TSB for US recall of Taycans for heaters indicated that heaters with a heater manufacture date prior to Feb 14, 2023, needed to be replaced in the Taycans included in the recall.
I don't know what Taycans, including their production dates, were included in either the US or Canadian recalls. I have been told that the recent US heater recall was for 475 Taycans.
My 22 4S, produced in October, 2021, was not included. Its failed heater was replaced in December, 2022.
Mine is production 03/2022 and heater replaced 12/2022 like yours.

bluesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW F10 M5 Comp, BMW F10 550i
Country flag
The failure cause has been vaguely described before, and on this forum: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2022/MC-10210772-0001.pdf

Remember, car parts are manufactured by various companies and are often designed by them. For example, Hella headlights and wiper systems aren’t designed by Porsche, BMW, etc., they are just spec‘ed and then used in the production builds. It sounds like this failure is Webasto’s manufacturing, and not an inherent flaw in the design. And that later production runs continue to have the same problem. This seems like a quality control problem, and both Webasto and Porsche aren’t adequately following up in checking the new production.

I guess eventually the cost is going to force them, or maybe (hopefully) get someone fired for not managing this problem adequately.

Gwaihir

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
I was hoping I wouldn’t have to write in this one? Early 2022 built GTS ST collected a year ago as 2023 model. Cold air from heater. Not happy.

Last edited:

Donar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan ST ‘22 - Polestar 2 Performance '20
Country flag
I was hoping I wouldn’t have to write in this one? Ugly 2022 built GTS ST collected a year ago as 2023 model. Cold air from heater. Not happy.
😞
Hope dealer can fix it soon! And hope you get the improved unit.

Gwaihir

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Update: Yes heater fault. Have been over to the dealership as I wanted parts ordered before Christmas and they confirmed a replacement is needed. Symptoms I was seeing: No cabin heating, just cold air. Drive battery temperature close to ambient and pre-heating not working.

The good news, they are expecting to do the replacement- and recall software update - In one day between Christmas and the new year. Awaiting the phone call. . . .

Last edited:

Chas1

First Name
Chas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini
Country flag
Update: Yes heater fault. Have been over to the dealership as I wanted parts ordered before Christmas and they confirmed a replacement is needed. Symptoms I was seeing: No cabin heating, just cold air. Drive battery temperature close to ambient and pre-heating not working.

The good news, they are expecting to do the replacement- and recall software update - In one day between Christmas and the new year. Awaiting the phone call. . . .
I have exactly same symptoms. Dealership has said no stock of heaters but only 1-2 days to re-stock however due to flurry of broken heaters wait time will be 3 or 4 weeks for workshop availability. Not great. Also heater failure is classed as ‘elf and safety issue so Porsche will trailer vehicle to centre as they’re concerned screen can’t be cleared with cold air. Uk weather is still around 10 degrees C so this seems a little paranoid especially as I had to drive 3.5 hours yesterday to get the car home. Slightly chilled but warmed up by heated seats. Might try an alternative Porsche Centre.

Gwaihir

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
I have exactly same symptoms. Dealership has said no stock of heaters but only 1-2 days to re-stock however due to flurry of broken heaters wait time will be 3 or 4 weeks for workshop availability. Not great. Also heater failure is classed as ‘elf and safety issue so Porsche will trailer vehicle to centre as they’re concerned screen can’t be cleared with cold air. Uk weather is still around 10 degrees C so this seems a little paranoid especially as I had to drive 3.5 hours yesterday to get the car home. Slightly chilled but warmed up by heated seats. Might try an alternative Porsche Centre.
Maybe I’m going to be lucky? Knowing the site principal well after many years of buying Porsche and putting up with lots of trouble with my previous Taycan, could also help. Maybe!

Yes the first response was phone to have the car transported to the centre, but I held out as there was no way my GTS was having its black wheels tied down on a trailer, unless absolutely necessary. When I say “held out” I just drove to the dealership with the car - unannounced - and asked to speak with the Principal.

Chas1

First Name
Chas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini
Country flag
Maybe I’m going to be lucky? Knowing the site principal well after many years of buying Porsche and putting up with lots of trouble with my previous Taycan, could also help. Maybe!

Yes the first response was phone to have the car transported to the centre, but I held out as there was no way my GTS was having its black wheels tied down on a trailer, unless absolutely necessary. When I say “held out” I just drove to the dealership with the car - unannounced - and asked to speak with the Principal.
Great advice, I’ve been feeling the same, there’s no real risk driving the car just Porsche being ultra cautious re demisting. But I do need a courtesy car. If I can’t persuade them I reckon I can achieve a faster turn around at an alternative dealership. I’ll post the outcome…

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Somewhat interesting article how Porsche is using AI to target which cars gets heater replaced first.
Thank you for sharing the article. Porsche recently issued a recall to replace heaters in US Taycans. My car was not included in the recall. I was told by Porsche NA that the recall only included 475 cars, but possibly more would be added later. This article appears to explain the reasoning.

Gwaihir

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Great advice, I’ve been feeling the same, there’s no real risk driving the car just Porsche being ultra cautious re demisting. But I do need a courtesy car. If I can’t persuade them I reckon I can achieve a faster turn around at an alternative dealership. I’ll post the outcome…
Really important!!!
If you get an Enterprise car make sure to take photos, video etc of every inch before accepting it. They take you card number then charge you for damage. I was lucky I had proof that a damaged tyre was present when delivered, only because of my photos. They then refunded the money they stole from me. Better still, get Porsche to fully hire the car for you and don’t give Enterprise your card details.

Further update: Heater failed Monday. Tuesday, car taken to Porsche for - Heater Failure - confirmation. Wednesday, car in for heater replacement and expecting collection, either Thursday afternoon or Friday morning, all being well. That’s the service we expect👍🏻
Sponsored

Last edited: