First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hi everyone,
It’s great to find this forum. I’m on the Macan forum and have found it to be very useful.
I am probably going to agree to a deal on a used Taycan 4S later today. It is a very well equipped car. I am going to trade in my wife’s 2018 Macan GTS and my 2019 718 Boxster GTS. It’s been a tough decision as I’m a petrol head and really like the two cars i have at the moment but we only really need one car as my wife and I are both retired now.
I don’t know much at all about the Taycan or electric cars for that matter. However I’ve watched just about every YouTube review of the Taycan and it looks great. I’m a little worried that it may be physically too big for us compared to the Macan. I’m unsure as to how I will go about charging it and what I will need. It comes with the mobile charger and I think a lead for a 7kw charger. It also has a port for 22kw charging.
probably my main concern is range as it has the smaller battery. Having said that I cannot remember the last time my wife and I travelled more than 200 miles in one go and I think the bigger battery only gives an extra range of about 40 miles.
I was told yesterday by the Sales guy that Porsche have just announced that they have increased the cost of the Taycan and hybrid Panameras by 10% which rules out my option of building my own for delivery next year.
So far I’m finding a lot of useful information on this forum.
Sponsored

Wendal

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan, Taycan 4s
Country flag
Hi Paul,

My first porsche was a Cayenne, then switched over to a Macan. Then I was debating whether to get the 911 or the Taycan. (I don't trust EV, I still don't...) At the end, this forum convinced me to get the Taycan. Don't get me wrong, if i had money, I would have bought both. But I think this is it, and not looking back. Its been about 3 weeks and it still puts a smile on my face.

I still have battery and milage anxiety.... but slowly I am getting the hang of it.

PS - get the electric sound, you will not regret.

OP
OP
Salty

Salty

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hi Paul,

My first porsche was a Cayenne, then switched over to a Macan. Then I was debating whether to get the 911 or the Taycan. (I don't trust EV, I still don't...) At the end, this forum convinced me to get the Taycan. Don't get me wrong, if i had money, I would have bought both. But I think this is it, and not looking back. Its been about 3 weeks and it still puts a smile on my face.

I still have battery and milage anxiety.... but slowly I am getting the hang of it.

Thanks for your reply. I’m pleased to hear that you like the Taycan despite the flat 6 (V6 or V8) sound being replaced by an electric sound generator. The car I’m looking at has the sound effect addition.
I think I will have range and charging anxiety!

Taycanturbolondon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
HeyPaul

I too a petrolhead have made that electric move. It’s the progress we all have to make. Living in londonand Being a business owner makes buying an electric car a no brainier.

I doubt the car your buying will have the 22kw AC charger, this is only useful if you have an industrial socket. 7kw home socket is more than good enough in reality. 11 to fully charge the car.

bootsie

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Golf GTI 16v
Country flag
I’m unsure as to how I will go about charging it and what I will need. It comes with the mobile charger and I think a lead for a 7kw charger
Hi Paul, welcome.

For home charging you can just use the mobile charger into a normal 13a socket and it will charge, but slowly. If you’re only doing very low daily milage it may be enough for you, but you’re probably better off getting a dedicated 7kwh home charger fitted.
Porsche will likely recommend Anderson chargers which look very nice but are also very expensive. Otherwise, search Google for EV Chargers and you’ll find lots of people supplying and installing them for £500-£1000. As long as it’s a Type 2 plug it should work on your Taycan.
If you’re a real cheapskate like me, then you can also look at Octopus Energy for cheap overnight charging (search on here for referral discount codes). Once you’re a customer they’ll also sell you an intelligent Ohme charger for £199 which plugs into a Commando socket (which you can get a local sparky to fit for you).
Hope that helps, enjoy the Taycan.

4SJB

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4SCT Mini Cooper S Audi A4 3.0 TDI
Country flag
Hi Paul
Welcome.
if you are in the UK look at an Andersen EV charger. I had mine fitted on Monday and it is a beautiful bit of kit. There are lots of different colour options and the cable is totally hidden. This was a deciding factor for me as I needed it on the front of the house and didn’t want unsightly cable hanging. Also I got a 8.5m option so I can get around one of my children’s cars if they visit!
Porsche Taycan Hello everyone CEBB3BAD-A344-447B-9FE4-1D63AD84CD23
Porsche Taycan Hello everyone 6336782C-5964-4BC0-8174-DEE4F8315F34

snb7x

First Name
Bertie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Porsche Macan S, Z4 3.0i Conv, VW Golf & Taycan Turbo (awaited)
Country flag
Hi Paul,

I have a 4S with performance battery 5mths and love it so much that after 3mths I’d a deal done to order a MY21 Taycan Turbo. The car is a real winner but you need a wholly suitable / practical home charging solution as charging on the road is a “patch” unless you’re passing IONITY stations regularly

robborover

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
Taycan 4s & Cayenne S
Country flag
Hi and welcome; ex GTS owner too here (but waiting for new 4S). Everything everyone has said above is valid, sounds like a good spec. It is a wide car so that needs to be accounted for and the range thing will ebb away. Get a home charger and the job is a good 'un!

RG2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Golf R Estate, Golf VR6, Corrado VR6
Country flag
Hello & welcome

I hope it's everything you expect & more. I don't think you'll be disappointed!

OP
OP
Salty

Salty

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
At the moment I’m looking at the charging options but think the the charging stations near me are type 2 whereas the car comes with a “mode 3” public charging cable whatever that is. It also has “Home Energy Manager” which needs to fitted by an electrician but I don’t know what is involved with that.

jheard

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MXP100D. Taycan 4S
Country flag
At the moment I’m looking at the charging options but think the the charging stations near me are type 2 whereas the car comes with a “mode 3” public charging cable whatever that is. It also has “Home Energy Manager” which needs to fitted by an electrician but I don’t know what is involved with that.
Mode 3 is type 2 so cable will work with type 2 chargers