Help with charging timers/profiles

Candeez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4 Cross Turismo
Country flag
I have a pretty complex requirement for at home charging:

- Charging outside of 3PM-9PM window (due to higher cost of electricity during this period). So from 9:01PM -2:59PM charging is ok.
- Charging limited to 85% to preserve battery life.

I tried adding multiple timers, and setting general profile to have preferred charging times, but I've found that sometimes the car doesn't charge to 85%. I'm using the Porsche Taycan Charger Kit that came with the car, connected to a NEMA 14-50 outlet

Anyone know what combination of timers/profile settings I need to use to achive the above?
Sponsored

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Your best bet is a repeating timer set to whatever time works best based on what time you typically leave each day (say 7am) and no profile.

Klepper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
Your best bet is a repeating timer set to whatever time works best based on what time you typically leave each day (say 7am) and no profile.
+1

This works perfectly for me. I set a timer for 6:00am for 85%, repeating everyday of the week. The car starts charging at some point during the night to be at 85% for 6:00am. The lower the SOC when I plug it in, the earlier it starts. But since the car charges at about 10% per hour, it never starts before 10pm at night. The car never overcharges beyond 85%.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
+1

This works perfectly for me. I set a timer for 6:00am for 85%, repeating everyday of the week. The car starts charging at some point during the night to be at 85% for 6:00am. The lower the SOC when I plug it in, the earlier it starts. But since the car charges at about 10% per hour, it never starts before 10pm at night. The car never overcharges beyond 85%.
I agree. 👍 This particular use case is not something to overthink and complicate with profiles that will either be ignored or make things worse.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
I have a pretty complex requirement for at home charging:

- Charging outside of 3PM-9PM window (due to higher cost of electricity during this period). So from 9:01PM -2:59PM charging is ok.
- Charging limited to 85% to preserve battery life.

I tried adding multiple timers, and setting general profile to have preferred charging times, but I've found that sometimes the car doesn't charge to 85%. I'm using the Porsche Taycan Charger Kit that came with the car, connected to a NEMA 14-50 outlet

Anyone know what combination of timers/profile settings I need to use to achive the above?
This is my scenario as well.

- Set the general charging profile to 25% minimum and preferred charging times of 9PM->3PM
- Add a timer set to repeat all days at 5 or 6AM with charge to 85%.

Done; the car charges every day to 85% ready by your defined morning time.

When you want 100% for a trip charge just enable "Direct Charging" and turn it back off to return to daily 85%.

Yes this is stupidly overcomplicated, especially compared to Tesla.

Also, it won't immediately start charging at 9PM; it will decide when to start the charge at some point overnight to ensure 85% readiness by your defined time.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
- Set the general charging profile to 25% minimum and preferred charging times of 9PM->3PM
- Add a timer set to repeat all days at 5 or 6AM with charge to 85%.
Also, it won't immediately start charging at 9PM;
Right, the timer is controlling the charging at this point so the profile serves no purpose. So, why the profile?

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Right, the timer is controlling the charging at this point so the profile serves no purpose. So, why the profile?
That's the only place you can set the 9pm to 3pm charging window. If you want to ensure it doesn't charge during expensive peak time, this is the only way.

And of course if you plug in below the 25% minimum, it will immediately charge to 25% anyway...then wait to fill the rest until the preferred time window.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
I mean, I see your point jhenson; since it defers charging to the morning timer, it effectively won't charge during money time anyway.

All this is so stupidly overcomplicated, I really don't know why they didn't just copy Tesla. Slider and an optional scheduled charge window, done.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I mean, I see your point jhenson; since it defers charging to the morning timer, it effectively won't charge during money time anyway.

All this is so stupidly overcomplicated, I really don't know why they didn't just copy Tesla. Slider and an optional scheduled charge window, done.
Yes, thanks. That’s my point. In this case, it’s going to do the same thing with or without the profile. 👍
Sponsored