snstevens

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Let me add my experience. I purchased a Taycan 4S in Carrara White metallic, white calipers and 21" silver Mission-E wheels with black spokes. I purchased the 21" wheels for the "all season" tires as much as any other reason, but also because I thought the 21" rims look awesome. There are pros and cons with this selection.

PROS
1. I get a ton of positive feedback on the wheels. People stop me on the street to ask what kind they are, and to say they love the look.
2. In the Normal driving mode the ride is super comfortable - surprisingly so. We have speed bumps and rough roads like everyone else, but the car handles these with ease and doesn't feel either too close to the ground, or too stiff. Putting the car in Sport or Super Sport driving modes does stiffen the suspension but in a nice way, and I only use that for highways and better roads.

CONS
1. The sidewalls of these tires are low enough that parking is a hazard. In less than two weeks I've touched a curb twice. The first time was very light and the mark on the silver segment of the Mission-E wheel was hard to see. The second time I felt I had given the curb a lot of space and was pulling into (not backing) a very large parallel parking spot when I heard a sickening scratching sound. GREAT! - Now two wheels scratched in less than two weeks.

MY SKILLS - Not to make too strong a statement, but my driving and parking skills are on the high end of the range. I grew up in Chicago and we had to routinely park in small parallel spots and I am a certified pro. Folks riding with me are always somewhat amazed, and I do this without hitting the curb, or the cars in front or behind.

REALITY SINKS IN - This is hard for me to admit, but I have a whole new set of skills to develop around parking a car with low profile tires.
  • I am spending more time using the Park Assist system cameras and taking it easy.
  • I also adjusted my right side mirror to give me the best view of the curb possible.
  • I DON'T ever take a forward path into the parking space - backward and camera assisted only (never want to hear that front wheel scraping sound again :oops:).
FIXING THE WHEELS
I have partial good news to share. My local dealer in Bellevue has a connection with a "same day" wheel, scratch, and dent repair guy who is amazing. He took my car at 8:30 am and returned it at 2:00 pm with the wheels looking basically brand new. Downside was it cost $325/wheel plus tax, but education is never free and this is a lot cheaper than replacing the wheels.

I encourage all of you to "take it easy" for a while when parallel parking your new Taycan. And please, never drive into a spot - a disaster waiting to happen!!

<UPDATE> - I found the website for the repair operation and it has locations in several parts of Washington and Oregon. They are called SameDay-USA Hope you guys don't need them, but ...
Sponsored

Last edited:

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
REALITY SINKS IN - This is hard for me to admit, but I have a whole new set of skills to develop around parking a car with low profile tires.
So honest. Tough to admit that a learning curve is suddenly ahead. Is it because the car is wider than usual?

Downside was it cost $325/wheel plus tax, but education is never free and this is a lot cheaper than replacing the wheels.

I encourage all of you to "take it easy" for a while when parallel parking your new Taycan. And please, never drive into a spot - a disaster waiting to happen!!
Expensive lesson indeed. Good advice.

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
So honest. Tough to admit that a learning curve is suddenly ahead. Is it because the car is wider than usual?

Expensive lesson indeed. Good advice.
Can you use the 'surround view' camera for all parking - forward and back?

OP
OP

Lfcdan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan (soon), Etron Launch edition (soon) EX 911 Targa 4s and Cayenne hybrid (2010)
Country flag
Can you use the 'surround view' camera for all parking - forward and back?
I honestly don't think the cameras are any use at all
They distort every single angle and possibly the worst I've ever used

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I honestly don't think the cameras are any use at all
They distort every single angle and possibly the worst I've ever used
My question is, will it help avoid curbing wheels and damaging the front spoiler. I don't care if it's distorted, as long as I can see space between my car and the curb.

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
My question is, will it help avoid curbing wheels and damaging the front spoiler. I don't care if it's distorted, as long as I can see space between my car and the curb.
The front camera turns on automatically at low speeds when the sensor spots an object. It is handy when I pull into my garage to stop before I hit the wall. I use the surround view to see if there is space between the curb and the wheels when parallel parking. The surround view also helps to determine when it’s safe to turn the wheel when backing out from a space with a curb that runs alongside the car (i.e., when the front tire is past the side curb so you don’t turn the steering wheel too soon and the rim turns into the curb)

snstevens

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I do think the width of the car is a factor. The distortion in the ParkAssist camera doesn’t help, and like other owners I’m using as many visual tools as I can. For now I’m leaving increased distance to the curb (10-12 inches) vs. my normal 6 inches.

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The front camera turns on automatically at low speeds when the sensor spots an object. It is handy when I pull into my garage to stop before I hit the wall. I use the surround view to see if there is space between the curb and the wheels when parallel parking. The surround view also helps to determine when it’s safe to turn the wheel when backing out from a space with a curb that runs alongside the car (i.e., when the front tire is past the side curb so you don’t turn the steering wheel too soon and the rim turns into the curb)
That is great to know. With 105,000 miles on my Panamera GTS I will admit to bumping the underside of the spoiler a couple times, and yes, scratching one or two wheels...

rstr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
About the colour of the wheels - do you think that the scratches will be more visible on glossy black vs on jet black metallic?

jimithing

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Macan Turbo, 2014 Panamera GTS
Country flag
About the colour of the wheels - do you think that the scratches will be more visible on glossy black vs on jet black metallic?
Gloss black, without question. I'm still finalizing my build and considering the Mission E wheels in platinum satin for this reason. Afraid of the gloss black.

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
Gloss black, without question. I'm still finalizing my build and considering the Mission E wheels in platinum satin for this reason. Afraid of the gloss black.
Have a Black Edition Cayman S with beautiful gloss black wheels - get constant comments. Would not have it any other way.

OP
OP

Lfcdan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan (soon), Etron Launch edition (soon) EX 911 Targa 4s and Cayenne hybrid (2010)
Country flag
i went for mission E in gloss black as i think the jet black metallic will be difficult to repair if curbed
I'm really happy with them

ThomasDK

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW I3
Country flag
The view is not good at all, but order the surround view. The car is low, long and wide.
when you are backing the view is almost unusable, but if you are Parallel parking, or just close to a curve it is a must have. Using the top view is super, and you can part the car completely straight with curb.
And as other have said, the front camera is nice when you are parking
Sponsored