Hill Descent Control or similar on Taycan?

H@wk

First Name
H
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+, BMW 530XD, BMW 320I cab
Country flag
Hi all, just wondered if anyone've read/heard anything about how the Taycan tackles hills and winter conditions. I've seen plenty of videos of the winter testing done in Finland etc, - but can find nothing on any programs targeted towards hill descent and similar.

In my BMW touring there's a Xdrive program called HDC that will assist when going down steep and slippery hills, braking and driving the wheels individually depending on what wheels have traction or not. This is VERY useful on a heavy car, and without it I'd frankly be hesitant to take the Taycan up in the mountains in winter.
Maybe there's traction logic built in already that will handle this, but I can't seem to find any info on this.

Anyone have any insight in this respect?
Thanks!
Sponsored

Tazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Turbo GT, Aventador SVJ, 812 Superfast
Country flag
Hi all, just wondered if anyone've read/heard anything about how the Taycan tackles hills and winter conditions. I've seen plenty of videos of the winter testing done in Finland etc, - but can find nothing on any programs targeted towards hill descent and similar.

In my BMW touring there's a Xdrive program called HDC that will assist when going down steep and slippery hills, braking and driving the wheels individually depending on what wheels have traction or not. This is VERY useful on a heavy car, and without it I'd frankly be hesitant to take the Taycan up in the mountains in winter.
Maybe there's traction logic built in already that will handle this, but I can't seem to find any info on this.

Anyone have any insight in this respect?
Thanks!

I think Porsche call it “braking”

I’m just kidding, Porsche usually only offer HDC in the Cayenne from last experience driving their cars, as an SUV is usually the only time people use HDC.

But rest assured, the regen should provide adequate braking so no massive reason to fear overheating the discs

OP
OP
H@wk

H@wk

First Name
H
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks for your reply. I'm not too worried about discs overheating. The issue I'm trying to describe is going steep downhill, where the car invariably will "slip & slide" some, and braking actually will make it worse - so some "intelligent" brake/traction program will help greatly. This program usually works in conjunction with the cruise control, so you engage HDC, then set your desired speed (usually VERY low - 5-20 km/h) and the car will try to maintain that speed using brakes and traction on individual wheels. Following video demonstrates this with a BMW X3:

(at about 24 sec one can see the front left wheel lock up and slide, then regaining traction.)

Usually you don't engage the gas pedal when using HDC (you can, but that would negate the purpose). Regen works fine as an engine break, but unless regen also has some logic that will prevent wheel-spin/lockup - then it will not help much in the way of a "HDC" function.

OP
OP
H@wk

H@wk

First Name
H
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Right, just found this:
https://newsroom.porsche.com/dam/jc...8b845e321/PAG_Taycan_Technology_PM_EN.pdf.PDF

Quote: "All the systems available on the powertrain are controlled by the Porsche powertrain controller. This is where all the information is collected and the high-speed actuators are controlled. The all-wheel drive and traction control systems operate five times faster than conventional systems. If one wheel has more slip, for example, the electric motors regulate it at lightning speed - a particularly impressive experience on snow and ice."

So maybe some "HDC" functionality is a basic part of the Taycan powertrain. Just hope the above goes for deceleration as well as acceleration :)

BlueShoes

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Unless it’s built in to the traction control system I’d be surprised if it has it. I’ve not seen anything in my menus or read about it. My older X5 billed it as a system for going down a hill for you almost like you’d be walking next to the car. I never used it b/c I had never found an opportunity to have the thing in declines that serious.
Sponsored