How does the standard window and mirror trim look?

MaKin

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan S (2019)
Country flag
Hi everyone,
I am currently on the configuration of the base Taycan and this time I really wanted to stick to a budget and therefore question how the mirrors and window trims look without the black high gloss or car color. Can’t find proper photos and due to the lockdown can’t visit the dealerships...

Thanks
Sponsored

rquinton

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Porsche Taycan 4S (March 2021 arrival date PECATL), 2021 Porsche Cayenne GTS
Country flag
Hi everyone,
I am currently on the configuration of the base Taycan and this time I really wanted to stick to a budget and therefore question how the mirrors and window trims look without the black high gloss or car color. Can’t find proper photos and due to the lockdown can’t visit the dealerships...

Thanks
I ordered mine with the high gloss black as the normal mirrors looked very cheap. I am glad I spent the $660 to get them. Make sure you get the folding mirror option too. Both should be standard but I believe a must have to make the car look good. If you are ordering a dark color, it might not matter but on my Carmine Red, it was a must.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
If the car is White or Red, then the black trim/mirrors/rear logo looks very nice.

Is it a must? Probably not. You cannot see it when you drive the car.
Is it a nice to have? Yes, similar to how a set of nice wheels improve the appearance of the car.

arijaycomet

First Name
Ari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4 Cross Turismo
Country flag
@rquinton & @chrisk — sounds like both of you are talking about the standard trim on the “prior“ cars— one thing the OP ( @MaKin ) is not clarifying is what version of the car they are going to build. And I have not played in the DE configuration (they are from Germany it shows) — but for the US market, the cars sold up until now (4S, Turbo, Turbo S) have Chrome trim standard, with the Glossy Black as a cost option upgrade.

However, in the US configuration system, if you go in now and build a new “base“ Taycan— you will find the photos, if accurate, show a black trim already. And, if you pull up a Porsche parts catalog right now, you’ll see they list a MATTE Black trim replacement part. Which begs the question that perhaps the base car comes with black trim already, but in a matte finish (not glossy).

The fact that you ca still add the glossy as a cost option makes me think one of two possibilities here — first, that like the other cars, chrome trim will be standard. Or second, possible that the base Taycan will have matte black trim by default (again if going off the photos in configuration, this seems the case)— guess only time will tell and someone gets clarification!

arijaycomet

First Name
Ari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
PS: Back in Dec2020 there were a few 2020s left over which is where my 4S came from. It sadly is white with chrome trim and I want black. I’ve been looking to possibly retrofit, but the rear glass is part of the rear trim and requires being “cut” out (seal). So that is TBD — but FWIW, I think the black trim looks best on virtually all the colors. I’m a black trim fan, in general. And my shopping on the Porsche parts catalog is how I became aware of 3x options (Chrome, Matte Black, Glossy Black)

rquinton

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Porsche Taycan 4S (March 2021 arrival date PECATL), 2021 Porsche Cayenne GTS
Country flag
@rquinton & @chrisk — sounds like both of you are talking about the standard trim on the “prior“ cars— one thing the OP ( @MaKin ) is not clarifying is what version of the car they are going to build. And I have not played in the DE configuration (they are from Germany it shows) — but for the US market, the cars sold up until now (4S, Turbo, Turbo S) have Chrome trim standard, with the Glossy Black as a cost option upgrade.

However, in the US configuration system, if you go in now and build a new “base“ Taycan— you will find the photos, if accurate, show a black trim already. And, if you pull up a Porsche parts catalog right now, you’ll see they list a MATTE Black trim replacement part. Which begs the question that perhaps the base car comes with black trim already, but in a matte finish (not glossy).

The fact that you ca still add the glossy as a cost option makes me think one of two possibilities here — first, that like the other cars, chrome trim will be standard. Or second, possible that the base Taycan will have matte black trim by default (again if going off the photos in configuration, this seems the case)— guess only time will tell and someone gets clarification!
You are correct, in the US the base Taycan is a matte black finish which might look ok with the matte black finish of the mirror. If price was an option, we wouldn't be Porsche buyers as the base price is enough to make most people walk but we don't because we are Porsche lovers. My personal preference is that HGB looks best on most of the contrasting cars (white, red, light blue) not dark colors. I would say the most important thing on a base Taycan would be battery, charging options, wheels and color (inside and out). If I were specing a base, I would stay under $100,000. I am waiting on a 4S (ETA 3/14) and it is well specced because I plan on enjoying it for a while. The base Taycan won't be like the base Macan but it sure does potential dilute the number of special Taycans that will be out there. That being said, there are still only about 20-40K made a year so it will be forever before you see as many Taycans as you see Macans on the road.

pEAkfrEAk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S [MY2022]
Country flag

ranger22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT3, GT3RS, Cayenne GTS, Raptor
Country flag
PS: Back in Dec2020 there were a few 2020s left over which is where my 4S came from. It sadly is white with chrome trim and I want black. I’ve been looking to possibly retrofit, but the rear glass is part of the rear trim and requires being “cut” out (seal). So that is TBD — but FWIW, I think the black trim looks best on virtually all the colors. I’m a black trim fan, in general. And my shopping on the Porsche parts catalog is how I became aware of 3x options (Chrome, Matte Black, Glossy Black)
You should be able to have black vinyl added to the trim to make it black. It would be much cheaper and more practical than replacing it.

arijaycomet

First Name
Ari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You should be able to have black vinyl added to the trim to make it black. It would be much cheaper and more practical than replacing it.
Had it done. Peeled off within a few days. Too cold here (winter) for it to work. May re-try in warmer weather. But I also have a can of PlastiDip that I’ve never used that is black. So I have options that I’ll revisit closer to spring time ;)

OP
OP
MaKin

MaKin

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan S (2019)
Country flag
Thank you very much! In fact I am planning to buy a Base model and therefore I did not even consider the chrome trim. I was aware of the fact that it is matte black but was not sure whether it looks cheap or well... just matte... The mirrors for example look rather cheap I'd say.

CarolineK

First Name
Caroline
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hi everyone,

Thanks
What colour are you planning for the car? Red looks fine on mine with the black
Base.

Porsche Taycan How does the standard window and mirror trim look? DEEB50F8-E36C-4B8E-A545-E1976C3A2C81

Porsche Taycan How does the standard window and mirror trim look? 1D807962-0778-40AC-943E-682C17584BB9

Porsche Taycan How does the standard window and mirror trim look? EB7C8BDC-7B77-4D5A-8C63-36209B6D6E7C

Porsche Taycan How does the standard window and mirror trim look? 4BD1D73C-28E0-44A7-B671-0678F8AE2BE6

jimithing

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Macan Turbo, 2014 Panamera GTS
Country flag
Thank you very much! In fact I am planning to buy a Base model and therefore I did not even consider the chrome trim. I was aware of the fact that it is matte black but was not sure whether it looks cheap or well... just matte... The mirrors for example look rather cheap I'd say.
The matte black trim won't look cheap - it'll be like the standard matte black window trim on a 911.

This is coming from someone who thinks the matte plastic standard mirrors look horrible.

OP
OP
MaKin

MaKin

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan S (2019)
Country flag
It’ll be the standard white. Not Carrara.

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
It’ll be the standard white. Not Carrara.
Gloss black will dress up white. Bright silver will look cheaper. Like the choice of a standard color - spend the money saved having it glass (ceramic) coated.
Sponsored