how long does tire sealant hold?

ithinkmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'17 3, '22 4S CT, '22 MXP
Country flag
Got a nail in one of the tires. Pull out tire sealant and flush the whole bottle in. Called service center. tire is back ordered till end of Oct. So I'm planning to just park the car home till replacement tire comes in. Will it keep puncture sealed for a month? Other option, is to drop it off at dealer now, and have it sit there and wait till tire arrives. I would prefer to let it sit in my garage and drive it there when the time comes. Dealer says it will hold. Have tire warranty package, so I'm at their mercy @ the moment. If I get a tire somewhere else, will not be reimbursed.

-ThinkMac-
Sponsored

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s, '23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag
have you considered getting the puncture plugged? if it can be plugged you could have use of the car. I wouldn't trust the sealant to hold up very long.

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
Did you also have to order a new rim? My SA advised not to use the sealant because they can’t get it off. Don’t know if it is correct.

Second isn’t the sealant just an emergency option to get you home / populated area? I thought it was just for 50 miles and limited speed. Not to drive around for weeks

Last edited:

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I sealed a tire in a Cayman S a few years back. Lasted over a month, light driving included. Did not damage the wheel at all, though I believe I had to buy a new TPMS sensor.

OP
OP
ithinkmac

ithinkmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
car is just parked in garage, temporarily driving a boring Tesla. lol.

So far, it's been a week and still holding pressure. Dealer knows about sealant. They also said if I want to drive it, I can have it plugged. Possible option, waiting for a loaner to be available, and I'll drop it off.

-ThinkMac-

Murph7355

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST; TVR Griffith 500; Caterham 7; Volvo XC90
Country flag
Do any other suppliers have the tyres in stock?

If the US is anything like the UK, you more often than not get rogered rigid buying tyres from main dealers.

Hanny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S Carmine Red
Country flag
Get it repaired/plugged, sealant is only to get you off the road safely or get home if reasonably close. Sealant can be temperature effected so be careful with high speeds.

If the puncture is in the main central part of the tread - it is repairable quite cheaply but if on the outer sides or the wall, it can’t be repaired.

Temp solution if repairable whilst waiting for new tyre.

Jayyvr890

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Do people really take their cars into the dealer for tire work? Almost all the dealers use 3rd party tire shops and will just charge you a hefty premium.

Getting a tire patched is a couple hundred bucks where I am (Canada) and takes a few hours only.

Ps... Yes a lot of shops will refuse to patch tires citing this bs and that bs and will also convince you to replace both tires etc... Just call around to find someone who knows how to patch tires... Like it's been done the past 100 years lol

OP
OP
ithinkmac

ithinkmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
took to dealer because I got the Porsche tire warranty. they just replace it with a new tire, no repairs for Porsche dealers. This is my 2nd replacement in 18 months. Warranty is starting to become value added. It is a bit of pain because of them not keeping tires in stock.

Good thing, it's not my only vehicle. So I'm able to deal with the long wait.

Anyway, car is back, with new tires. I was able to drive to dealer with sealant, after sits in garage for a week and half.

-ThinkMac-

jwarner

First Name
jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
macan gts, taycan gts st
Country flag
Got a nail in one of the tires. Pull out tire sealant and flush the whole bottle in. Called service center. tire is back ordered till end of Oct. So I'm planning to just park the car home till replacement tire comes in. Will it keep puncture sealed for a month? Other option, is to drop it off at dealer now, and have it sit there and wait till tire arrives. I would prefer to let it sit in my garage and drive it there when the time comes. Dealer says it will hold. Have tire warranty package, so I'm at their mercy @ the moment. If I get a tire somewhere else, will not be reimbursed.

-ThinkMac-
try the Audi supply chain, sometimes they have inventory (same tire approvals as Porsche)
Sponsored