How many charge to 100%

Just curious on how many of you charge to 100% and how many to 85% on the daily?

• Total voters

Yves_0016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S Performance Plus
Country flag
I charge to 85% but only when I reach a charge level of 40% or less, unless I know I may need more the next day. If going on a trip I set a timer to reach 100% at the time of departure.
Identical here. To 85%, but not daily only when at 40% or something. Unless more is needed the next day. 100% only when really usefull/required.

Home charging at 6,4 kwh. Nice and slow. Fast/super chargers only on roadtrip (= rarely).
Sponsored

Jancha

First Name
Janis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 Cabrio (ex Taycan 4s+)
Country flag
85%, daily. 85% is recommended by the app. My2021 (recommendation appears when you slide over 85, see below).

Porsche Taycan How many charge to 100% E63988D8-B880-4DB5-8AD2-0C046A090101

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s, '23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag
85%, daily. 85% is recommended by the app. My2021 (recommendation appears when you slide over 85, see below).
80% is what is called for in the manual
Porsche Taycan How many charge to 100% Screenshot (3)_LI

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
You should add another option, I usually charge to 60 or 65 for daily use.

TayTaySD

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mamba Green Taycan 4S
Country flag
I charge to 80% during the week, %90 on Friday and Saturday night, more long drives for us on the weekend. Much less driving during the week. Btw unless we get specs from the battery manufacturer (and don't assume the manual is correct) it is VERY hard to know the best charging profile. Even as the battery manufacturers change it isn't the same, so you cannot compare your Tesla to the Taycan. Also likely changes every year as well as battery manufacturer improves their design and manufacturing.

I do NOT like that it seems to wait to start the charging by computing how much time is will take.
So when I set it to charge from 12:15am-6am, it will not actually start charging at 12:15 if it doesn't need to in order to reach your desired charge value and time. I wish it would start at 12:15am and END early, sometimes I want to leave before the time I have set.

Btw, why do we set it at battery %??? I want to get close to certain MILEAGE. Please allow us to set it at mileage not % battery. Yes I can experiment when I want a minimum 120 miles, but it is stupid for us to have to choose %, or give both options.

My Charging:
Weekend minimum 50% - Max 90%
Weekday minimum 40% - Max 80%

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I charge to 85% and will go to 90% simply to gain additional range this summer.

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Porsche has done a couple of things which might lead someone to believe they are concerned about battery life. Especially given their 8 year battery warranty and the way Porsche's can be driven.

They have decreased the recommended charging level from 85% to 80% for daily use.

Under the current software update they have provided the option to reduce charging power from 270 kW to 200 kW to prolong battery life.

They seem to be recommending that at very low states of charge, below 5%, the battery be charged on AC mains.

The battery is supposed to deteriorate about 3% per year, so these are probably attempts to keep it within those bounds.

If someone owns their car, they probably want to pay attention to this. If you lease the car, maybe not, but then you would have to be nuts to buy one coming off lease.

Porsche provides additional information on the Aging Processes in Batteries in its Engineering Magazine. Here is an extract.

When batteries age, two effects
overlap: calendar and cyclical aging.
Calendar aging does not depend
on use and represents an inherent
limit on the possible service life of
the energy storage device—even
without load. It depends primarily
on the state of charge

The higher the battery is charged,
the faster its capacity decreases.
High temperatures also accelerate
calendar aging. An increase in temperature
of 10 kelvins approximately
doubles the rate of aging of its
electrochemical components.

When operating batteries, the
calendar aging process is additionally
overlaid by the cyclic aging. The
depth of discharge (DoD) plays an
important role here. It indicates the
ratio of used energy to the total battery
energy. A DoD of 80 percent, for
example, means that only 80 percent
of the total energy is used.
The higher the DoD, the faster the
battery ages. The state of charge
limits must also be considered. A
DoD of 80 percent can be achieved
by charging 20 percent SoC to
100 percent SoC.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I charge to 85% and will go to 90% simply to gain additional range this summer.
I suppose that the advice in the manual isn't applicable to your car.

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I suppose that the advice in the manual isn't applicable to your car.
My manual says 85%.

And my two buddies (Turbo S and a Turbo) both regularly charge to 90%. None of us will have the cars long enough to really have to worry about true "longevity" of the battery - unless it's affected in 4 years +/-

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
My manual says 85%.

And my two buddies (Turbo S and a Turbo) both regularly charge to 90%. None of us will have the cars long enough to really have to worry about true "longevity" of the battery - unless it's affected in 4 years +/-
Well you may. If the capacity of the battery is remeasured at the time of sale, and it can be, if it is out of spec, you could get less for your car.

fredhouston

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
The instruction manual excerpted seems to indicate only to recharge when the battery is at 5%. Is that what most of you do who drive low daily miles? For some reason, I thought the recommendation was to charge it every night to 80% or 85% no matter how much is left.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The instruction manual excerpted seems to indicate only to recharge when the battery is at 5%. Is that what most of you do who drive low daily miles? For some reason, I thought the recommendation was to charge it every night to 80% or 85% no matter how much is left.
that isn't what the manual says. it says that if it is down to a 5% SOC that you should charge it ASAP. leaving the car at such a low SOC is as damaging to the health of the battery as keeping it at a very high SOC

fredhouston

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
that isn't what the manual says. it says that if it is down to a 5% SOC that you should charge it ASAP. leaving the car at such a low SOC is as damaging to the health of the battery as keeping it at a very high SOC
Makes sense, thanks. Is it then recommended to charge every night to 80%, no matter how few miles you drive?

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Makes sense, thanks. Is it then recommended to charge every night to 80%, no matter how few miles you drive?
I have been told by Porsche technicians to NOT charge every night unless you need the range for the next day. I was told you should charge as LITTLE as possible. And I was also told to let the car run down to 30% or less before charging, it helps to balance the cells. If you need to charge every night because you drive a shit ton, then you do it. But the less you charge the better it is for the battery.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I cannot speak with any scientific knowledge but Elon once said that a plugged in tesla is a happy tesla, I suppose that is true of any ev. the health of the battery is well served keeping it within a band of 25-80% SOC. I personally would want my car ready to go at any time so I generally keep it closer to 80%
Sponsored