How turn on pre cool before charging?

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
The only really effective way to preheat the battery pack is to Navigate to a Charging Station.
Is it just the act of navigating there that does that, or does it also say "well, you are going to a charging station, but since you will have enough battery when you get there, no pre-heat for you".

A ask because for the trip I am planning, I can either go to one charger but only have 10% when I get there, or I can stop at an earlier charger when I am at 60%, fill up a bit so that when I get to that other charger, it will be a lot higher than 10%. (maybe overly playing it safe).
Sponsored

jetbox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Country flag
My experience so far is the battery temperature changes very very slowly. Spirited driving and sports mode seem to help but not in a meaningful way. I have not tried louv’s more dramatic method but in normal driving I can’t seem to influence temp very much. As my fastest chargers locally are on 50kw it doesn’t make much odds. But if on a long trip the temperature would be raised anyway after an hour or so drive and ready for a faster charge. Winter might be a different story though...

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
Is it just the act of navigating there that does that, or does it also say "well, you are going to a charging station, but since you will have enough battery when you get there, no pre-heat for you".

A ask because for the trip I am planning, I can either go to one charger but only have 10% when I get there, or I can stop at an earlier charger when I am at 60%, fill up a bit so that when I get to that other charger, it will be a lot higher than 10%. (maybe overly playing it safe).
Oh, that’s an excellent question...

Just the act of navigating to a Charging Station will cause the car to pre-condition the battery pack. Now, you have to choose a Charging Station known to the Nav. You cannot just enter an address where there also happens to be a station. (This is why it is critical for Nav updates to happen frequently with POI data for New charging stations)

I believe there is a cutoff (25%?) where the car says to itself “nope, you don’t have enough battery power to preheat the batteries”. But maybe I’m confusing that with Preconditioning the passenger compartment doesn’t work below 25% Battery.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag

I believe there is a cutoff (25%?) where the car says to itself “nope, you don’t have enough battery power to preheat the batteries”. But maybe I’m confusing that with Preconditioning the passenger compartment doesn’t work below 25% Battery.
I certainly believe it would not have that kind of cut off for the battery preconditioning, but I'd certainly do believe that it does have such a cut off for the vehicle preconditioning to keep you from draining the battery before you start driving.

dnanian

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Tesla Model S, BMW i3
Country flag
Now, you have to choose a Charging Station known to the Nav. You cannot just enter an address where there also happens to be a station.
What's frustrating is that when I use "Porsche Charging Service" in the Search section, it almost never shows anything at all, even when I know there are chargers there.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
What's frustrating is that when I use "Porsche Charging Service" in the Search section, it almost never shows anything at all, even when I know there are chargers there.
Although I don't have the charging service yet as I don't have the car yet, I have installed the app and noticed that it only shows EA Chargers in the entire Bay Area when there are hundreds of other DCFC chargers, of course.
I hope Porsche will soon get access to one of these EV database sites to be able to populate other vendors units.

For the European folks, is it the same, IE does it only show Ionity Chargers? Curious as I thought the Porsche app and card would allow charging at other third parties.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Here in Europe it shows all chargers that are linked to the Charging Planner. I can set the destination to the Ionity chargers of course, but also a lot of local chargers with Type2 connectors. All kinds of kW rating, from 3kW to 350. So a lot of chargers can be listed.

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
Here in Europe it shows all chargers that are linked to the Charging Planner. I can set the destination to the Ionity chargers of course, but also a lot of local chargers with Type2 connectors. All kinds of kW rating, from 3kW to 350. So a lot of chargers can be listed.
Is it possible to filter out chargers. Like you can on ABRP.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Is it possible to filter out chargers. Like you can on ABRP.
I have not really tried all of that as yet. The last time I tried and played around in it it did not show any chargers at all, only Petrol stations! I guess they are listed because of the restrooms and food places.

If I remember correctly there were two categories one was DC fast charger 50 kW and above and the all the others. But since it crashed out I gave up and used ABRP instead.

I will try to see if it has come back and take some screen shots.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
The "Charging NA" App for North America seems to show nice filter options but only shows EA stations ion the map independent of what you request. Wondering if the car shows much more?

Porsche Taycan How turn on pre cool before charging? Screenshot_20200716-125808
Porsche Taycan How turn on pre cool before charging? Screenshot_20200716-121940

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It has now got chargers in the system again. But it is not really worth the information. Two Ionity chargers over the border in Italy that have been opened 20 days ago plus one that was opened 140 days ago, are not showing up in the system! And all software is up to date!

You can sort between Porsche Charging Service and Quick Charging stations. Picture beloW.

Quick charging stations are all above 50 kW and shows a few on the photo. Problem is the CorrI-Door chargers that are listed have been out of order for 6 months. There was an incident with that manufacture product and all needs to be changed. But the Taycan will happily guide you to that one. Other EV Charging apps will not!

Porsche Charging Service will then bring up all the others around. The ones in the picture are all described as 22kW chargers ( car will only charge at 11kW) but it is not correct! They are between 3 and 7 kW.

You can of course then search for Ionity and that brings up what it finds. But the two chargers in Italy on the way up to Switzerland are not displayed or listed!

At least it did not bring up the petrol stations this time!
Porsche Taycan How turn on pre cool before charging? 3BD273D1-1DF5-4E94-97AE-2F3E1D8AA6F4
Porsche Taycan How turn on pre cool before charging? F6B47FA7-3116-4A0B-BB84-4ACAF2D327D3
Porsche Taycan How turn on pre cool before charging? A5D9A537-52AC-49D3-B33C-F35B93540020
Porsche Taycan How turn on pre cool before charging? 339E2461-C042-4B4B-AB71-19560A4DFB7A
Porsche Taycan How turn on pre cool before charging? 9CC801C9-3359-41BE-B9DA-FE448B100613
Porsche Taycan How turn on pre cool before charging? A59B4BAB-6B07-4695-BC96-ED7E28AC1644

Porsche Taycan How turn on pre cool before charging? 0F93D302-29A3-4F89-B3D8-A7ECAE4687A8

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So with the info above, the question is how do you pre condition your battery when the charging station is not even listed? If that is the only way to do it, you are out of tools!
Sponsored