How turn on pre cool before charging?

BenJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hi guys,

I hope you are well. I still don’t know how to turn on battery pre-cool/pre-warn before charging (and, then, optimise the charging time)
In fact, I don’t know how can I say to the vehicle that I will charge it at high voltage in a couple of minutes.
Is it only with the GPS?
I tried to put the address of the charging station but the temperature of the battery was the same.

thanks guys for your help!
Sponsored

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hi guys,

I hope you are well. I still don’t know how to turn on battery pre-cool/pre-warn before charging (and, then, optimise the charging time)
In fact, I don’t know how can I say to the vehicle that I will charge it at high voltage in a couple of minutes.
Is it only with the GPS?
I tried to put the address of the charging station but the temperature of the battery was the same.

thanks guys for your help!
The car is supposed to precondition the battery if you are navigating to a known fast charger, it may only do that for Electrify America where it knows that the charging rate can be above 50 kilowatts.

A second technique, if you have the sport Chrono package, is to put the car in Sport+ mode, this will start heating the battery for optimal Performance of operation which will also be optimal Performance of charging. Note that Sport+ will lower the suspension.

A third way is to drive aggressively (aka sportily) which will heat the battery.

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
The car is supposed to precondition the battery if you are navigating to a known fast charger, it may only do that for Electrify America where it knows that the charging rate can be above 50 kilowatts.

A second technique, if you have the sport Chrono package, is to put the car in Sport+ mode, this will start heating the battery for optimal Performance of operation which will also be optimal Performance of charging. Note that Sport+ will lower the suspension.

A third way is to drive aggressively (aka sportily) which will heat the battery.
Hi, So putting the car into Sport + will heat the battery, any idea how long it takes to heat the battery to the ideal temperature?

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Since the battery has a mass of more than 600 kg, I think it will take quite some time. Quite a lot of energy needed to heat that pack
@louv would likely have the best experience of this from his trip?

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hi, So putting the car into Sport + will heat the battery, any idea how long it takes to heat the battery to the ideal temperature?
Sadly, no, my car doesn't come till October. :crying:

I suspect it would takev 15 to notice and 30min to have substantially affect the temperature. It's a very large pack.

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Sadly, no, my car doesn't come till October. :crying:

I suspect it would takev 15 to notice and 30min to have substantially affect the temperature. It's a very large pack.
Hope there is a way to see the temp of the pack and do some tests. I suppose it will make a difference to ambient temperature etc. In the summer it would heat quicker, than say winter weather.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hope there is a way to see the temp of the pack and do some tests. I suppose it will make a difference to ambient temperature etc. In the summer it would heat quicker, than say winter weather.
You can configure the information display to show the battery temperature on the curved driver display.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes You can see the battery temperature on the info display. Same display that shows you the status for the 12 volt battery

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes You can see the battery temperature on the info display. Same display that shows you the status for the 12 volt battery
Do we know what the ideal temperature is before we rapid charge above 50Kw?

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I can not find anything that says more than a general “optimal temperature”! But what that is I can not find. See screen shot of Good to Know app??

Porsche Taycan How turn on pre cool before charging? 9B5EBF4C-853D-4BBC-8E2F-9FF037A47FE9

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Looks like 25c is the sweet spot. Or maybe its 50c. Big difference there. Unless I'm misunderstanding something.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I took from the charts that minimum 25 C and sweet spot 30 C, to achieve max charge rates and fastest charging.

But then the question on how you get that? Charging Planner when it works seem to do it but else?

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I took from the charts that minimum 25 C and sweet spot 30 C, to achieve max charge rates and fastest charging.

But then the question on how you get that? Charging Planner when it works seem to do it but else?
seems that sport+ heats the battery, need to try it once my car comes.

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
The only really effective way to preheat the battery pack is to Navigate to a Charging Station. By the time you arrive, the battery will be between 80 and 95°F.

I did not find Sport+ to be effective or predictable.

I did find repeated sprints from 55mph to 120mph and then hard braking back to 55 mph to effectively raise temperatures by 2°F for each run. But... unless you are on a racetrack, this method may involve Frightening Slow Drivers, and Visits to Jails and Court Rooms. Be careful.

Also, if your battery isn’t at optimum temperature when charging starts, the car will begin charging at a lower rate while it heats (or cools) the battery pack. Your charging rate will then increase as the battery gets to an optimum temperature.
Sponsored