i need to activate sport chrono

Electron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, Audi
Country flag
As others have stated, it is almost certainly possible to activate the Sports Chrono software feature through the Porsche PIWIS3 dealer software.

To activite in PIWIS3:
PIWIS3 tester menu, air-con => drive => function enable => input sport Chrono activation code
more info here

You can get the software and activation code from eBay or info on Rennlist, but it’s best to have the Porsche Dealer do all of this for you. You just have to talk to a Porsche technician who knows what they are doing.

There should be no warranty implications for this, as it’s coding of a factory capability, and plus it’s protected under the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act, at least in the US.
Sponsored

Last edited:

JP_21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Resurrecting an old thread. Has anyone managed to retro fit sports chrono. Please send pictures.

The main reason I didn’t order from factory was I didn’t like the clock on the dash.

But I think the dial on the steering wheel is very useful for changing mode quickly. Why doesn’t Porsche offer this as an aftermarket accessory like they did on the Macan?

Electron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, Audi
Country flag
Installing the switch should be relatively easy. The software activation of the switch is the more complicated part. The easiest way is to ask your Porsche dealer to try to do it and see if it works like it does with other Porsches. See the link in my previous post.

androst

First Name
André
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
T 4S '22
Country flag
I bought 2021 Taycan 4S without the sport chrono package, I bought the mode switch from outside. I plugged this part into its socket in the steering wheel, the button lights turn on, but when I turn the button left and right, the driving modes do not change. how can i solve this problem.

db85f6f9-b9d9-4664-9cce-8eec1bfc49b9.jpg

I doubt this post. Not sure the switch knob has backlighting, correct me if I'm wrong.

Does anybody know whether it is actually possible to retrofit the switch AND connect the switch's cable on a car/steering wheel without sport chrono? For sure the plastic trim ring (just underneath the airbag) needs to be cut which is prolly easy.

I bought a switch (120 USD) off of eBay but my mechanic friend told me he couldn't mount it on the steering wheel nor connect the 5 cm cable anywhere?

Furthermore I also bought a sport chrono clock (250 USD excl shipping, VAT, customs, etc) from China. Identical to the OEM, but with backlight unfortunately. I only realized the lighting after installing the clock. Pretty stupid as it doesn't look OEM and also reflects in the windshield (just like head up display). Gonna to try to disconnect the backlight if possible.

Retrofitting the dash chrono isn't easy as the MIB3 in the Taycan is lying on the chassis underneath the dashboard so a lot of work to rip out half the interior before reaching it. Needed simple coding to work I believe (didn't do the job myself obv).

Looking for any advice or help to figure out:
  1. Is it possible to retrofit and connect a switch knob on a steering wheel without SC from factory?
  2. Should I rather order a new steering wheel harness to be able to connect the switch knob?
  3. If not, should I simply order a "new" steering wheel with the knob already mounted from a Taycan rwd/4s/gts/turbo? Would that then also be plug and play? (Except PIWIS conf ofc)

PS.

I do understand the need of PIWIS3 configuration/coding and hash-code validation.

OT;
This retrofit will likely add up to be more expensive than ordering it from factory. If you're reading this and you'll spec a new Porsche at some point in your life - don't be a cheap a**, always tick pano, Bose and SC at a minimum.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
This retrofit will likely add up to be more expensive than ordering it from factory. If you're reading this and you'll spec a new Porsche at some point in your life - don't be a cheap a**, always tick pano, Bose and SC at a minimum.
Sounds like you speak from experience. Are you retrofitting yourself a pano roof too?

androst

First Name
André
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
T 4S '22
Country flag
Retrofitting pano is not worth it on any car on this earth imho even if you get the car for free (very few exceptions exist where parts are almost free).

First Name
Vinod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Porsche Cayenne, 2023 Porsche Taycan RWD
Country flag
Very interesting read... has anyone successful added the sport chrono knob? i bought my RWD without the sport chrono package but i would be very interested in adding the knob is possible. ?

androst

First Name
André
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
T 4S '22
Country flag
Very interesting read... has anyone successful added the sport chrono knob? i bought my RWD without the sport chrono package but i would be very interested in adding the knob is possible. ?
Still working on solving this. Someone told me that the control module in the steering wheel (170 USD) needs to be replaced but I doubt that, only found one product code for the module for all Taycan variations (4S/RWD/Turbo etc). The trim needs to be cut or replaced. Gonna try end of this week to see if it can be mounted on existing steereing wheel and plugged into existing module.

androst

First Name
André
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
T 4S '22
Country flag
So seems as if the steering wheel controle module (also called control unit by some people) only has 1 product code. Removed the airbag today and the metal plate separating the control module and the airbag. However, it isn't possible to remove the plastic trim between the airbag and the wheel (airbag | trim | wheel). So currently seems as if steering wheel needs to be dismantled completely, then cutting the trim (or ordering new trim)..... Keeping you posted.

JP_21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
So seems as if the steering wheel controle module (also called control unit by some people) only has 1 product code. Removed the airbag today and the metal plate separating the control module and the airbag. However, it isn't possible to remove the plastic trim between the airbag and the wheel (airbag | trim | wheel). So currently seems as if steering wheel needs to be dismantled completely, then cutting the trim (or ordering new trim)..... Keeping you posted.
Did you manage to crack this and retrofit the sports chrono dial and get it working?

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Step 1: Spend $100-200k on a refined German sports sedan.

Step 2: Buy some cheap Chinese knockoff parts on eBay.

Step 3: Dismantle and cut up car to try to install said parts.

Step 4: Realize after step 3 that there is also software needed to make it work.

Step 5: Discover that Porsche dealers don’t offer the software via retrofit.

Step 6: Begin drinking.

Electron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, Audi
Country flag
Step 1: Spend $100-200k on a refined German sports sedan.

Step 2: Buy some cheap Chinese knockoff parts on eBay.

Step 3: Dismantle and cut up car to try to install said parts.

Step 4: Realize after step 3 that there is also software needed to make it work.

Step 5: Discover that Porsche dealers don’t offer the software via retrofit.

Step 6: Begin drinking.
Step 7: Realize that it’s possible to do this, figure out how to do it with PIWIS, become a legend in the Porsche community. This is the way.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Step 7: Realize that it’s possible to do this, figure out how to do it with PIWIS, become a legend in the Porsche community. This
If only. The PIWIS tool can turn features on and off. It doesn’t have the ability to install software that isn’t already on the car without a Porsche code. Porsche will need to offer the software to do this or the code to unlock it, or someone will need to hack it, which of course would be a warranty no no. As of right now, Porsche is not offering the upgrade.

Electron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, Audi
Country flag
If only. The PIWIS tool can turn features on and off. It doesn’t have the ability to install software that isn’t already on the car without a Porsche code. Porsche will need to offer the software to do this or the code to unlock it, or someone will need to hack it, which of course would be a warranty no no. As of right now, Porsche is not offering the upgrade.
There’s no indication that this requires “new software”. The Taycan EE architecture is very similar other Porsche models. It appears the next-gen architecture probably won’t even be ready for the second gen Taycan.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
There’s no indication that this requires “new software”. The Taycan EE architecture is very similar other Porsche models. It appears the next-gen architecture probably won’t even be ready for the second gen Taycan.
You don’t think SC requires a software controller to operate or you don’t think additional software upload is required to use it? It absolutely requires software to operate, and you would either have to purchase additional code from Porsche or obtain a code from Porsche to unlock software already on the car, similar to PSP. It’s not a simple dial install and PWISIS change. Do you really think Porsche would make it that easy to work around one of their most profitable options?
Sponsored